Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Christmas season / Holidays at the parks in the Vacation Planning forums; Hello...we're considering a very short trip to WDW in early Dec. and would like some advice. We will already be in the area after our DCL cruise but I can ...
    IndyTwinsMom is offline A-Ticket holder

Christmas season / Holidays at the parks

Hello...we're considering a very short trip to WDW in early Dec. and would like some advice.

We will already be in the area after our DCL cruise but I can only do two days (yes, only two days!!) in WDW to take in as much of the holiday events as possilble.

I'm thinking Candelight Processional (with the dinner package so that we do not have to wait so long in line) one night & MVMCP the next. My questions: have you been to either of them? would you recommend them? are they worth it? any other must-do's? suggestions?

It will be me, dd6, & ds6 (dh has to get back to work & can't stay the extra days) if that helps. We have been to WDW several times so we're not looking to do it all / see it all - just the extra things we couldn't see any other time of the year...we have never been there then & I'm really excited to see it!

Thanks!

JoLynne

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I have been to the Candlelight Procession twice and MVMCP once. If you are even slightly in the mood to celebrate Christmas, the Candlelight Procession will definitely put you over the top. The music is so good. The decorations are beautiful. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that my dd will arrange for us to attend again this year.
    MVMCP is a fun evening. I think my family just enjoys the hot cocoa and cookies, but the parade is excellent. Because Christmas is a busy season, attending a hard ticket event does make the crowds a bit lighter than going during the regular park hours. Depending on the area of the country from which you will be coming, you may want to dress in layers. It can be chilly in the evening.
    I can also recommend visiting the Grand Floridian to see the Gingerbread House in the lobby. We like to treat ourselves to high tea in the tea room, but your young children may not enjoy tea. I'm sure they serve something to drink other than tea, but the tea is outstanding.
    The one event we've not seen yet is the Osborne Christmas Spectacular. It's free, but I don't recall which park it's in - Studios???? Have a great time. I may see you ....and several other thousand people...there!
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation
    the light show at MGM looks like it would be totally awesome!
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

IndyTwinsMom is offline A-Ticket holder

Osborne Family Lights

Yes, they are at MGM.. While it looks really cool (it snows too!) I am not going to have time to do more than two evening events. I think the Osborne Family lights will have to wait.. MVMCP seems like it would be a very 'Disney' event for my kids. My hope is that with the crowds possibly lighter we can make better use of our limited time there..?

Thanks!

JoLynne

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Yes, the Osbourne lights are at the studios. I guess if you've never seen them before I can't say "skip it", because it is kind of cool to see at least once. But we went last year for the second time, and the crowds were just so heavy in that part of the park that you couldn't really walk without being pushed and stepped on. I couldn't even stand still long enough to take a photo. All the ones I took last year were ruined because my camera was jostled when someone pushed me during the exposure. I don't anticipate going again, at least not voluntarily.

There are a LOT of lights, they're set up in intricate patterns, some of which are animated, and they play Christmas music. You'll even see some people (locals no doubt) bundled up as if its 30 degrees out instead of 55 or 60, which oddly enough further adds to the Christmasy feeling.

gwa
    gwa is offline A-Ticket holder
    The 6" is $12.50; 8" is around $18 (if I remember correctly). They do have larger ones if you prefer. If you have Disney characters, etc. put on it I believe it is an additional $8. They are open M-F, 8-4 p.m. to take orders and need at least 48 hours. Their number is 407-827-2253. You will pay at the restaurant. Good luck!

disneygeek

I love MVMCP and Candlelight. I would say with the kids do the MVMCP for sure. Candlelight is beatiful and if the kids enjoy hearing the story of Christmas then I would say that is a must also. It's really hard to decide because it's awazing wherever you go. If you can get to the GF check out the gingerbread house.

US at American Adventure after the Candlelight

Osbourne Lights

Main Street USA

http://wewantstheredhead.blogspot.com

gwa
    We, also, love the MVMCP.
    We have joined in the Christmas Processional/dinner and also have enjoyed just the Christmas Processional. Depends on how much time you have.
    Gotta see the Osborne Lights. Great! People are in disbelief. It really is magical.

disneygeek

Politzania is offline A-Ticket holder
    If you've just got the 2 days (and the extra $$) I'd say spend your evenings with MVMCP and Candlelight Processional dinner package (tho these may already be sold out) If so, you'll need to wait in a fairly long line in hopes of getting seated for CP. For one of your days - go to Epcot and try to visit as many of the storytellers around World Showcase - they talk about their country's New Year/Christmas/Holiday celebrations. If you can possibly make it over to Animal Kingdom, the Jingle Jungle parade is a lot of fun - they decorate the floats in Christmas/winter themes.

gwa
    Christmas and Disney! What more could you ask!!!

disneygeek

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse
    Mickey's Very Merry Christams Party is a great option. I really recommend it. As noted above it's hard ticket, the crowds are usually lighter and the atmosphere is wonderful. Just make sure you are well rested ebfore you go, ttrying to do a full day prior will leave you pretty wiped out and you won't get the full effect of the event.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

Jetjaguar is offline D-Ticket Holder
    WDW during the holidays is great... we were there for last New Year's, and it was fantastic... If you have to see one thing while you're there, go see the Osbourne Family Holiday Lights show in MGM... it will blow your mind...

9/2004 - Polynesian - first time at WDW!
    10/2005 - Not the Polynesian (Port Orleans)
    12/2006 - 1/2007 - Polynesian - Christmas & New Year's!
    10/2008 - Polynesian for Halloween!