Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Extreme Makeover - Market House Edition in the Vacation Planning forums; As early as February of this year I spotted the first signs of change coming to Main Street, USA in the Magic Kingdom. The window displays were a-changing. A few ...
    MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    Southington, CT/Daytona Beach, FL/ Main Street, USA!

Extreme Makeover - Market House Edition

As early as February of this year I spotted the first signs of change coming to Main Street, USA in the Magic Kingdom. The window displays were a-changing. A few weeks later, I wrote a lengthy, detailed report on the moving of the glass and crystal shop into what was formerly the Market House in order to clear up some more room for additional seating in the bakery. I also discussed a number of rumored (emphasis on the word rumored) changes that I'd heard about through a Cast Member working one morning back in late February, who mentioned such things as the closure of the King's Gallery inside Cinderella Castle in order to give way to a second Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique or something similar, and the moving of much of the merchandise into various other shops appropriate to the merchandise type. Due to the space restraints inside the shop formerly known as the Market House (hey, at least I didn't rename it with a symbol), there was also a chance that some construction would take place in there in order to extend the back of the shop further back towards the backstage area in order to increase both the size of the shop itself as well as to accommodate additional merchandise. Let's face it, moving into the Market House wasn't exactly an upgrade in terms of space... and then to try and move in stuff from another store. This one rumor seemed particularly likely, assuming that the King's Gallery did in fact close like I was told it might.

Well, here I am, 7 months down the road from when I first spotted the new window displays, and oh how I love being right! Everything I discussed previously has taken shape. The bakery seating area is expanded, the King's Gallery is gone, and Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, part deux, is now open in King's former castle home. (Wow... who would have ever thought we would someday see a king ousted from a castle in favor of a beauty salon? Oh the humanity!) Every one of my "rumored" predictions has become a reality... all except for one.

But... what is this? Do I detect yet one last change to the Market House in order to make my final prediction complete? Since the glass shop's move next door, I have stopped in from time to time just to check up on my predictions, as well as to marvel at why anyone would pay that insane amount of money for a crystal statue of Cinderella Castle (Who am I kidding? If I had that kind of money to throw away...). But each time I have been in there, I have noted simply that the shop, while small and slightly cramped, seemed to be doing just fine in its new little home. But as I meandered on through yesterday, something seemed somehow... different. I couldn't really put a finger on it, and all I have is a hunch. I didn't even speak to anyone who could give me any insider information this time. But here's what I think.

For those of you who remember the shop in its old location which it shared with the bakery, you probably recall how the most expensive and fanciest of items remained locked safely away in pretty glass display cases, while there was plenty of merchandise left out on shelves and counter tops for you to pick up, drool over, drop, break, and feel obligated to pay for out of guilt even if Disney wouldn't make you pay for it. But in the new store, almost everything is locked away in fancy looking wood and glass display cabinets, with only a very limited selection of blown glass figurines left out for us to put our grubby little paws all over. Ok, so maybe Disney just wised up and decided to safeguard its crystal. Or maybe... here's where I'm speculating... maybe Disney didn't want to build shelves and counters along walls that would not be remaining there for long? Hmmm...

As I stepped inside the crystal shop yesterday, here's what I did notice. There was absolutely no merchandise at all displayed along the back wall. None, nothing, nada, zero, zip, zilch. Does this seem strange to you, in a shop as small as that? It's not exactly like they have space to spare. All of the goods were on display in a couple cabinets along either side wall, the window displays, and the display counters around the artist's workstation and the register. All that remained on the back wall were a couple of framed photographs. Other than that, I was looking at one extremely naked back wall. In fact, if it weren't for a paint job that matched the rest of the shop, and those handful of photos hanging on it, I might have even mistook that back wall for one of those temporary ones. Hmmm... Temporary? ... You think?

Now if I were a betting man, which I'm not, I would be mighty tempted to put my money on that back wall coming down in the very near future. And what's more, I'm willing to bet that there is already an expanded shop area behind it, probably nearing completion, if not already done. Now I have no evidence or proof of any of these changes. Just a rumor I'd heard six and a half months ago, a total lack of shelves and counters in a particularly small shop, and the mysterious vanishing cabinets (wow... if that doesn't have a Harry Potter-esque feeling to it) along the back wall. But I think I can put one and one (and one?) together to make two (or is it three in this case?). I think we're about to see the last of my predictions come true.

Read my original predictions here.
    Last edited by MainStreet, USA; 09-19-2007 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Added link to older post
    -Don-
    Your heart can just take wing,
    You can live out all your dreams...
    ...it's time to Remember the Magic!
    Yo Ho, Yo Ho, A Pilot's Life for Me...

MainStreet, USA is offline I'm walking right down the middle of Main Street, USA!
    OK, it's taken me a little while to follow up on this, but then again, seeing how wildly popular this thread was in the first place, something's telling me the update wasn't missed.

But anywho, I was in the Magic Kingdom again on Thanksgiving Day (Thursday, 11/22/07), and when I made my usual pilgrimage (pardon the Thanksgiving jokes) into the store formerly known as the Market House (now known simply as "Crystal Arts"), as I have done quite regularly since I first saw it reopened with its new wares back in February, I once more smelled that distinct odor of fresh paint. The small shop also felt a bit more... well, roomy. Sure enough, just as I had been predicting, the back wall of the previously quaint, but very small shop on the corner of Main Street and East Center Street had been removed, revealing not one but actually TWO additional rooms of merchandise off the back of shop, and one additional door opening onto East Center. I asked a passing Cast Member in the shop when the wall was removed and the new rooms revealed. Tuesday, 11/20... ah, so I missed it by two days this time.

While both new rooms displayed and sold more of the blown glass and crystal creations by the famed Arribas Brothers artisans, one of the most impressive additions (in my opinion anyway) was the fantastic array of beautiful swords arranged in a fan shape along the back wall of the new room on the left. This more or less verifies yet one more rumor I talked about in my original post that spoke of the new shop receiving some of the collectible items that were previously sold at the King's Gallery in Cinderella Castle (now occupied by Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique). I never took the time to really examine the swords and such on display in the King's Gallery before, so whether or not these are the same ones previously sold there, I cannot be sure. But I can tell you there are far more now on display than I ever noticed in the old location, taking up most of the entire back wall, and are all gorgeously crafted. If it weren't for the incredibly hefty price tags that each carried with them (my two favorites on display Thursday were priced at $560 and $970 respectively), I might have been so foolish as to try to convince myself I needed one. After all... they are collectibles, right?

So anyway, after nine months of closely monitoring the changes this shop has undergone, I believe that this latest expansion is likely to bring about an end to my reporting on the changes and status of the Crystal Arts shop, formerly the Main Street Market House. However, the Crystal Arts shop was not the only one undergoing work up until last week. Another new shop opened its doors for the first time one day after Crystal Arts dropped its back wall. Just a few steps back down Main Street, the old Main Street Cinema building, previously home to VMK Central, has been walled up as of lately. Well, now the fabulous sign over the entrance reads "Now Showing The Art of Disney", and that pretty much sums up what you can expect to find in the new shop. Gorgeous paintings line the walls of the shop on either end, including the gorgeous new creation by Thomas Kinkade of Cinderella Castle. The back wall has a large movie screen showing classic Disney cartoon shorts, and in the back left corner of the shop there is a workstation for a Disney watch artist who will create for you a personalized Disney time piece. Then of course there is the usual merchandise stuff - Disney CDs, DVDs, postcards, a handful of plush toys... the usual. But not a bad little shop. And to someone who personally never "got" the whole VMK craze (hey, don't hate me if you loved it... I'm just saying), I personally think this was a change for the better.

And as if all this news from Main Street wasn't quite enough for you, I did receive yet one more tip about yet another shop on Main Street about to undergo its share of transformation. Dare I get into this again? Sure... why not?

Ok, next up on the agenda: Extreme Makeover - The Chapeau edition. Yep... you heard me. The cute little hat shop squeezed in betwixt the Main Street Confectionery and the little Disney Vacation Club office facing out into Town Square is next on the list of Main Street refurbishments. I didn't receive much info on what is planned for this little shop, however. There's not exactly a whole lot of room there to expand. I presume that the confectionery goes back a ways beyond what the guests can see from inside it, effectively taking up much of the space behind The Chapeau and preventing an expansion backwards like Crystal Arts just did. Besides... how much space do you need to sell hats? My guess is that it will be mostly cosmetic changes (which I'm not entirely sure the place needs, as it's already gorgeous). But only time will tell on this one. I'll be sure to check back in there from time to time and try to remember to keep this thread updated with what I find out.
    -Don-

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Thanks for the updates, Don!
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    Actually, I am thrilled that you updated us! I remember seeing those swords in the Castle shop. They were incredible as I remember them.
    Now I get to have art in MK? I may never leave! I always made the trek to DTD specifically to see the new paintings and cells, etc.
    Every year I tell myself I am going to set aside money to buy one. A real one, not a print.
    Did you happen to notice the price tag on the Thomas Kinkade? I could get in real trouble if I don't start saving now for it.

And, thanks Don for keeping those of us who are in love with the magic but live too far away to see it very often, updated.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Thanks for the update Don!
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    Thanks Don, I just love hearing all the news from Disney!!!

Just a couple of pictures to go along with these updates.

Pic 1, the inside of the newly expanded Crystal Arts shop. Sorry for the blur, but I didn't want to use a flash with so many other shoppers around me.

Pic 2, the swords. I can't help but be impressed by these.

Pic 3, just some of the cool art hanging in the Art of Disney store. I personally love the Beauty and the Beast ones.

Pic 4, the new Thomas Kinkade painting. Love it, love it, love it!!!

And Cindy... sorry, I didn't happen to catch the price tag on the Kinkade painting. There were two versions of it though... this large one I photographed here, and a slightly smaller one that was hanging just below it. Both were very much magnificent.
    -Don-

tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    OMG that Tinkerbell picture is gorgeous,did you happen to notice how much it was??

Thanks for posting that picture! I like the random reflection of the store lights you caught in there too.
    I must have that. I am going to see if I can google it or something and see how much.

Oh my goodness. That painting is going to cost me somewhere between $1100.00 and $24000.00.
    I might have to be satisfied with your picture of it.
    Sadness.

Quote Originally Posted by Cinderella2 View Post
    Oh my goodness. That painting is going to cost me somewhere between $1100.00 and $24000.00.
    I might have to be satisfied with your picture of it.
    Sadness.
    They do sell a post card of it in that same store... I thought about buying one myself. Shouldn't cost you more than a dollar or two I would think.
    -Don-

I had to come back to your thread today to see a little glimpse of my painting. If I had a color printer I would have printed the brochure when I found it online yesterday. Yep, the postcard might be it.

bigbrian-nc.com is offline WDW: A History In Postcards
    I finally got over here to check out this thread Don, great descriptions of all the work that was done, Thanks!. As for the Art of Disney post cards like the Thomas kincade one they are $3.00 each

Walt Disney World: A History in Postcards