Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Osborne Pink Cat in the Vacation Planning forums; Has anyone seen the pink cat at the Osborne Spectacle of Lights? A chaperone on our band Disney trip told us that when the Osbornes set up thier light display ...
    ftg09 is offline Fastpass Holder

Question Osborne Pink Cat

Has anyone seen the pink cat at the Osborne Spectacle of Lights? A chaperone on our band Disney trip told us that when the Osbornes set up thier light display in Arkensas they put up a pink cat Halloween decoration. Now every year Disney continues to place the cat in the light presentation, in a different location every year, for visitors to look for. Anyone heard of this or have a picture?

echoscot is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Uhmmmm The Pink cat was a mistake....

I worked on that display for the first 7 years it was put up in the parks. The first year it arrived from Arkansas, we had two weeks to get the lights up on Residential Street (which doesn't exist anymore, it's where Lights Motors Actions is),

That first night of installation(overnight after park hours) a cold front was moving in and it rained and was cold and windy all night. We were out unloading these tractor trailers that had pulled onto the street ( I think there were three of them) with all the pieces. Well, Res Street was also being used as storage for other short term things and there was a purple cat that looked like the other display lights that was actually Disney's for another event. It got mixed up with the Osborne lights and I put it up on one of the houses that year(It originally went on the big white "Miami Vice" house on the roof). Myself and another stage tech didn't realize that it was not part of the display. The Miami Vice house was being done in purple lights that year and the cat was originally purple so we thought it went there.

Well , when the Osbornes came through they liked the cat, and it went up every year after in a different place. The lights have been maintained on it and now it is pink, I guess from your description.

So in short it is not much more than a mistake that I made along with the help of another nameless individual, that has become a Disney tradition...Nice to know that people don't let you forget your mistakes....LOL

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    I've seen it.

Here is a photo from All Ears:
    http://www.allearsnet.com/tp/osb106.jpg
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

oh..thanks for the info and photo!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    You don't think about the nameless hundreds that have to work in the night, and under possibly lousy weather to put those lights up. Thanks, echoscot, for all you've done. I think a lot of great things have been invented when someone goofed.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

^Thank you. It is a lot of hard work, but when the display is up and running, it makes you feel so good to see people oooohhing and ahhhing at the lights and konw that you helped make that wonderful moment for them.....

How long would it take you to put all those lights up?...and to go along with mini-v's comment, yes, thank you...seeing all those lights, along with music, snow, and happy faces is such a magical, one-of-a-kind experience. It really "lights up" the holiday spirit!

The first year, we didn't know what we were up against. We thought it was "just some Christmas lights" so Disney allowed for two weeks and a crew of about 20 people. Well we hit panic mode and brought in more people and worked around the clock. In the end, we got the lights up and on time, however most of us felt like it looked like a Christmas Tree had just puked in the park.

The next year we got better organized. A couple of bright individuals started planning in February. In August, the main crew was started up, and we did a 3 month installation that looked way better organized. It continued in that vein for many years.

With the removal of Residential Street and the moving of the show to the Streets of America, the display went through another planning phase and I believe the installation still takes as long.

A bit of trivia: The first year the display was up, it went under the name of "Lights, Camera Christmas!", very similar to the name of the show that sits in its earlier site. The name was changed to Spectacle of Lights the next year. It is now called the Osbourne Family Spectacle of Dancing Lights.