Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Walt Frowning Or Applading? in the Vacation Planning forums; IS WALT FROWNING OR APPLADING??? What do you believe Walt is thinking about WDWís decision to ban children under 10 from Victoria and Albertís restaurant? Do you think this direction ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Walt Frowning Or Applading?

IS WALT FROWNING OR APPLADING???

What do you believe Walt is thinking about WDWís decision to ban children under 10 from Victoria and Albertís restaurant? Do you think this direction was part of his Dream? Ever wonder if Evening Care Centers were part of his Master Plan for WDW and the ultimate Disney Vacation. How about in room baby sitters? Dining Plans, where vacationers design their trips months in advance around food and restaurants, not parades, rides or performances. A lunch for four people at the Castle that will now set you back a car payment. Would Walt have built a high brow hotel at the World?
    ----------------
    My take on it: I donít believe this was the ultimate direction Walt would have chosen. I pulled an old VCR tape on the MK from the early 80ís out. Waltís interviews are in there. The message was family time and togetherness. He promoted a unique place where families could participate together. A family place. Something different.

I have loved Disney as a preschooler at Disneyland, a child at the MK and WDW as a teen and young adult. I honeymooned at Disneyland and brought my first child to WDW at l4 months and the youngest at 2 months old. Until I moved my business into my home my children were daycare children. While I knew babysitters and night care centers were available I wanted WDW to be about family time. We had couple time, fine dining and daycare in our everyday lives. Basically the GF makes me uncomfortable. Iíd take the PR, WL, Y&B anytime. GF just seems out of place and character in WDW.

My folks never hired sitters for us when we visited Disney on either coast. If they had I wonder if I would have cherished our family vacations as much as I did. While WDW was small, a stop over going farther south, we had family time. My parents didnít seek out a safe haven from children or alone time. Our children have been going to Disney for 20 years now. It is our time as a family.

I canít say I havenít enjoyed some of restaurants that I have visited the last few trips however Iíve seen our focus change from the adventures of day to the food spots of the day. My last trip down in November my DD and I found ourselves wondering why we were darting from park to park, rushed and pressed for time over an ADR. My son, a CP CM running behind ran through Epcot to meet our ADR. We blew off a few after that and went back to our simpler, more relaxed, earlier times of touring the parks. Popped into counter services when we were hungry or tired not when then ADR said so. In a few years my last child will go off to college. We will all have good memories of the WDW as a place we went to be together and have fun. Never excluded. My husband and I will continue to visit WDW Iím sure as empty nesters. I pray I will never snub families with young children. Or have the brains to go somewhere else when I need to be in an adult only environment.
    -------------------
    So what is your take? Is family free zones part of Waltís Dream? Do you think V&A is just the start of a trend to ban children in selected parts of WDW? Do you believe Walt could be rolling over in his grave? Baby Boomer Disney Executives are now mostly empty nesters are they thinking family or AARP? Is Disney gearing up for the next decade of Baby Boomer retirees?

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    You raise some interesting points.
    Let me just say this: If more parents would just take a break from their children for an evening to relax and regroup I believe they can be better parents for it. I have seen many a parent who is yelling at a child in the park. If that parent had gone to V&A for an evening, while their child went on a pirate cruise I'm not sure they would be yelling the next day. A little time apart never hurts anyone.
    I also believe Disney is for family. That was Walt's dream. Walt also knew there would be more to WDW after he was gone. He knew he had to appeal to a wide audience. Look at Pirate's and HM, I have seen many a small child too terrified to ride. I see nothing wrong with no children at Victoria and Albert's. I also see nothing wrong with no adults allowed on the Pirate cruise. Yet no one is talking about that.
    Dreams Really Do Come True

tarynkelly is offline Waiting for Paris Mousemeet in Dec 2009!!!!! Woo Hoo
    Scurrying back to my closet before Debs catches me!!
    I do agree with the points raised by HauntedGabe but I also think that time away from the kids can be just as important. I travel to Disney for 2 weeks with my boys and once a week my mum lets me disappear for an hour or 2 and I do likewise.
    Don't forget that a lot of honeymooners and older couples also travel to WDW and it must be nice to have somewhere quiet to escape to for an hour in a place so geared toward kids and families.
    I don't take my DS's to any formal dining places on holiday as it is not relaxing for them, so it doesn't affect me.
    As for the in-room babysitters I don't use them, but if my mum didn't come with me I might use them for an evening just for some down time x x

I heartpeterpan is offline "Just Keep Swimming"
    I agree with Tarynkelly when my husband and I were on our honeymoon it seemed every restaraunt we went to there were a group of out of control kids notice i said out of control not uncontrolable i think it makes the parents look really bad if they dont address the problem with their kids acting like animals. Dont get me wrong i know kids will be kids but there are some things you just cant stand for and that is when they let their kids walk all over them. It was kinda dissapointing at times because my husband had never been to Disney World and when we would sit down to a nice meal there would be a group of kids at one table from the ages of 10 and under and then the adults at the other table ignoring the kids while it was disturbing everyone else they didnt care so it is nice to have a place where you know that wont be a big issue.
    Disney Family Vacation 2006 -POP Century

Disney Honeymoon 2007- Dolphin

Disney Graduation/Anniversary Celebration 2010 Caribbean Beach

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    I dont see this as a trend towards more kid free zones in WDW. If you think about it, children probably rarely ever went to Victoria and Alberts anyway. I'd bet that Walt would actually want a place that was strictly for adults. When he came up with Club 33, he didnt have children in mind, it was more for him to entertain older high-class groups of people. Victoria and Alberts may not be on the same level as Club 33, but I still believe that Walt would want this. Granted, Walt wanted a place where families could have fun together and share experiences together, but with four theme parks, two water parks, a downtown district, over 20 resorts, and over 100 eateries where families can share the magic, I dont think that making one restaurant adults only is that much of a big deal.
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...-kids-ban.html

Huge thread with lots and lots of opinions on this topic. I figured I'd post it rather than my feelings on this all over again. LOL!!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    ďDetail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story youíre immersed in.Ē - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from įOįJoe

mattj4226 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I was always a fairly well behaved kid (most of the time). I was one, because I knew that if I wasn't, My mother would "whoop" my butt. In a perfect world where parents actually discipline their kids, we wouldn't need these sorts of rules. But we don't, so we do need them.

Just my 2 cents!
    - Matt
    Allaboutthemouseketeer #155
    http://anotherdisney.blogspot.com/
    http://mattspoliticalrants.blogspot.com/

2009 & 2010 WDW Half Marathons, 2009 Disneyland Half Marathon,

Next Visit to the World: March '09 for Princess Half Marathon Weekend?

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I have loved Disney as a preschooler at Disneyland, a child at the MK and WDW as a teen and young adult. I honeymooned at Disneyland and brought my first child to WDW at l4 months and the youngest at 2 months old.

And why is that? Because Disney offers a variety of options for all ages. That's the magic of Disney; appealing to guests at all ages. If all that was offered at WDW was Fantasyland type rides, would teens be keen to spend a holiday there? If Pleasure Island was the only nighttime activity, would guests be interested in taking toddlers on vacation there? If rollercoasters were the only rides, what would guests do to entertain the younger family members? Families are made up of all sorts of combinations of age groups and numbers. If Disney would tell me that I, as a empty nester, don't belong in Magic Kingdom, then I'd be really disappointed. I LIKE being able to become a kid again. Occassionally, I like having a special meal in an adult enviroment. It's nice to know that Disney caters to ALL my moods.

When my dd was young, we took her on all of our vacations. I wouldn't have felt comfortable leaving her with a stranger, but then we rarely used sitters at home either. However, I never fault parents for taking some alone time, especially if that is something that is scarce for them while they are not on vacation. But had dd been at the age to part-take in any of the special kids activites that are offered at the resorts now, or on cruises, I have a feeling we might have had trouble getting her back with us. Those special activities look like too much fun.

It easy to get caught up in too much activity when planning a Disney vacation. There are attractios we want to repeat as well as new attractions that we want to do too. Because the parks are large and can become very crowded, reserved seating for meals can be necessary IF you REALLY want to eat at a particular restaurant. Counter service is usally an option, but you have to be prepared to stand in line when necessary and skip table service. Disney caters to all YOUR moods too.

Most executives in every corporation (except maybe the internet) are usually older. However, there are still plenty of young people with familes who are working for Disney. They all know who are the bread and butter guests and I doubt very much that families will not stay the primary target for visitors. (I know this for a fact because my dd is a corporate cm.) That said, Disney is not about to overlook any segment of the population.

Walt started his empire in the 50's. Families are not the same now as then. We live differently and play differently; good or bad as that may be. Walt Disney was always innovative. I wouldn't even attempt to guess where his ideas would have taken the company had he lived longer. I would like to think that he would have been creative enough to keep offering entertainment to all age groups, but necessarily for all ages, together, at the same time.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

I heartpeterpan is offline "Just Keep Swimming"
    Quote Originally Posted by mattj4226 View Post
    I was always a fairly well behaved kid (most of the time). I was one, because I knew that if I wasn't, My mother would "whoop" my butt. In a perfect world where parents actually discipline their kids, we wouldn't need these sorts of rules. But we don't, so we do need them.

Just my 2 cents!
    Here Here . I also grew up with the fear and respect of my parents.To defy them or disobey them was a big NO NO , I am not saying i was perfect either i just thank my parents now for disciplining me the way they did the good old fashioned way a butt whoopin, kids need to fear and respect parents more these days its dissapointing seeing the generations take such a turn.
    Disney Family Vacation 2006 -POP Century

Disney Honeymoon 2007- Dolphin

Disney Graduation/Anniversary Celebration 2010 Caribbean Beach

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    Interesting view Mini-V, especially your last line below! Together.

I would like to think that he would have been creative enough to keep offering entertainment to all age groups, but necessarily for all ages, together, at the same time.

I honeymooned at Disneyland 25 yrs. ago. We didn't need to be away from kids, we picked a place that was developed for kids and families. We were kids at heart so we fit in well. I love Walt's ideals of the 50's. The new families of the millenium that you speak of need to be together & separate which is fine too. I had my kids in the 90's and enjoyed every minute I had with them at WDW, didn't want to leave them with a sitter or a day care at WDW, I craved togetherness. Not all parents do. Every family is different.

I just wondered what Walt thought of the new Millenium version of his world.

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I don't see anything wrong with one restaurant being adults only. I agree with the comments about the behavior of kids, we would have been in big trouble if we acted the way some of these kids do these days. I also think alot of the options for guests are just that options and Walt would approve of giving his guests as many options as he could to keep everyone happy. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he would approve of everything that disney has done over the years, but that's why he said his park would never be completed; it would always be changing and they would keep trying new things.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    It's ONE restaurant..kids can't get into the bars and clubs on teh cruise ship right? Isn't there a teen only club on the cruise ship?

Heck, I was a good kid but I know my parents still needed some time away from me!

If we go with this whole theory....what's your thought on PI?

I agree with whomever said the 50's mentality that Walt started all this is WAY different than the mentality now....
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post

What do you believe Walt is thinking about WDW’s decision to ban children under 10 from Victoria and Albert’s restaurant?
    Walt built Club 33

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post

Would Walt have built a high brow hotel at the World?
    There are STILL no "value" resorts at "Walt's Park", Disneyland. The Disneyland Hotel is a deluxe. The original concept for Disneyworld had three hotels - all of them deluxe.

princessariel is offline Fastpass Holder
    very good points mritty
    Summer '83-Off Site

Dec '95- Shades Of Green

March '03-All Star Movies

March '06-All Star Movies

October '07-POFQ

March '10-POFQ

March '13 POFQ

June '14 POFQ

Nov'14 All Star Sports-F&WF W&D 1/2 Marathon!

SamIAm717 is offline Fastpass Holder
    There are other places in WDW where young children are not welcome, like Mannequins and Jellyrolls. As a parent, I am totally fine with V&A imposing this restriction on young children. It's children under 10, not all children. Also, as a parent, I would never want to subject my young child to a three hour dinner at V&A. Think back when you were a kid, would you have been excited to do this? I would have been bored out of my skull and I doubt the menu would have offered me the types of foods I enjoyed eating at that age.

Having one adult and really nice dinner out on a vacation does not equal being a bad parent and having one restaurant location (out of what 98??) for adults in WDW certainly does not make Disney anti-child.
    ďTo all who come to this happy place; welcome. Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past...and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams and the hard facts that have created America...with the hope that it will be a source of joy and inspiration to all the world.Ē

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast