Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Electronics in the Parks in the Vacation Planning forums; I am looking to see what other people think about the use of certain electronics in the parks. I'm not talking about handheld gaming systems. I'm actually referring to a ...
    The 5ive O is offline A-Ticket holder

Electronics in the Parks

I am looking to see what other people think about the use of certain electronics in the parks. I'm not talking about handheld gaming systems. I'm actually referring to a system that can transmit over WIFI. This system would involve an interactive map of the parks, queue line times, show times, maybe even set priority seating. I know that some amusement parks use a system like this. I would like to see WDW and the other Disney parks follow suit. Maybe they could even implement something for iPhone and iPod touch users, similar to Starbucks. I would like to hear what other people think about this. Thanks.
    Man has a dream, and that's the start...

...he follows his dream with mind and heart...

...and when it becomes a reality, it's a dream come true for you and me." - Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress

ImaMouser is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by The 5ive O View Post
    I am looking to see what other people think about the use of certain electronics in the parks. I'm not talking about handheld gaming systems. I'm actually referring to a system that can transmit over WIFI. This system would involve an interactive map of the parks, queue line times, show times, maybe even set priority seating. I know that some amusement parks use a system like this. I would like to see WDW and the other Disney parks follow suit. Maybe they could even implement something for iPhone and iPod touch users, similar to Starbucks. I would like to hear what other people think about this. Thanks.
    I've heard that Disney is looking into some things like this. The problem is that you have people like me that don't want or need all these fancy electronic gadgets. I have a cell phone but I don't take it to the parks. Just something else to keep up with. I can't keep up with how fast technology is moving. That being said, I'm not against a system such as what you mentioned; I just don't think you can move into that system as being the only way to communicate, make ADR's, check times, etc. But as us old guys start dying off I see that as a reality. LOL I guess I'm old fashioned but just hand me a paper map, show schedules and the lit signs for queue line times.
    Walt is the man, Mickey is the mouse but Minnie is THE WOMAN

That's actually a good point. I'm not saying that everyone would be forced to have to buy or rent something that would allow them this feature. I would still love to have paper map and times guide, I love souvenirs (ha ha). What it would do is implement technological progress. If something like this would happen, Epcot would certainly be the testing grounds as Walt requested so long ago. It's only a dream of mine, but the dream could become a reality, then it's a dream for all the i-gen kids, even though I'm not one of them. The idea is to maximize the time spent on vacation, less time to plan, more time to enjoy. It's plain old progress, making our life just a little easier, (at least for some of us).
    Last edited by The 5ive O; 01-13-2008 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Correction

...and when it becomes a reality, it's a dream come true for you and me." - Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress

BeastlyKingdom? is offline finally in college... hello disney college program
    i think its a great idea. I am not a huge save the trees type of guy but well ya it will save trees haha. But i don't see them using a iPhone or iTouch those are couple hundren dollar devices that most ppl would not want to carry around in the parks cause if it got wet on Kaili river rapids ya that wont be pretty. how ever the Nitendo DS is 130 ya its still kidda expesive but if u have young kids u probally already have 1 plus i think it would be nice that the kids could have a lil power. Also the Nitendo is really user friendly to use
    the only 18 year old boy who like disney more than girls......... nvm disney is a close 2nd

I think back on why i am so strange now i know why .... I blame Disney but i still love it

" we have always tried to be guided by the basic idea that, in the discovery of knowledge, there is great entertainment."
    - walt disney

disneyfreak1284 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Re: Electronics in the Parks

There are apps you can get from itunes to use on your Iphone or Itouch that are not developed by disney. There are apps such as wait times and even so for dinner reservations (not such on that one). They are not very expensive but maybe like $2. Hope they work going down in october to try it out!!!
    Andrew

"I'm doing this because I want to do it better"
    -Walt Disney-

"Hang on to them hats and glasses! 'Cause this here is the wildest ride in the wilderness!"
    -Big Thunder Mountain Railroad-

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Ohhhh, please remember to report back.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Tim
    Tim is offline D-Ticket Holder

I think it is a great idea, but I personally wouldn't use it. When I'm at WDW I leave my phone off, my beeper stays home and very few people know my room number or where I'm staying. We don't go online, my kids aren't allowed to text, surf, or IM. It's all about old-fashioned family time.
    Tim

bmcintyre is offline A-Ticket holder

There are several apps for the iphone, not by Disney, but are for wait times and dining reservations. People who are in the parks are encouraged to use the app to tell the wait time, so it will be more accurate. Is this what you are talking about? What other uses are you thinking about? As for leaving cell phones out of the parks...with older kids, we use our cells to keep in contact with them as they are in one area of the park and we another. Really helps. But I don't use it for other personal use or business - I'm on vacation.

reebee is offline A-Ticket holder

I've not used the iphone wait time aps (need a trip soon!) but I hear that they rely on having people in the parks update the time based on their experiences. Since people are pretty busy they don't take the time to update so the info is usually wrong. Buyer beware - check the iphone ap ratings before buying. My favorites are the DVC points and WDW park hour aps but they both use information that doesn't change every minute. Until Disney puts out their own ap for wait times I don't think any of the private aps for that will be able to meet the need. Inaccurate data is worse than none at all if you ask me.

Well I finally used the OFFICIAL Disney Parks app available through Verizon Wireless, Disney Parks Mobile Magic. It has almost everything that I hoped it would (according to my first post) and then some. It does not allow for ADR's but it gives you the 407-WDW-DINE option and can dial on your phone for you. It is the perfect in park app with real-time GPS and wait times. The wait times take a little to update (5-10 mins) if it changed but most of the time it's right on. It is very user friendly and even a child could use it. There's even games to play if you're bored standing in line (WDW Trivia, for real). It really is everything that I hoped it would be. It's available for 9.99 for a 180 day period through Verizon Wireless. It may become available through other carriers in the future but for now it's just with VZW.

It really is worth it when you consider how much time it can save you in park by walking from one end to the other just to try to get on a specific attraction only to find that it's temporarily shut down, a very long line, or no FASTPASS available. The app will give you all this information before you decide to venture that way. Definitely worth the cost for anyone planning a vacation, but probably not for a single day. There is a mobile site for both WDW and Disneyland (Walt Disney World Resort,
    Disneyland | Disneyland). It doesn't have specific times but does show a lot of the other features that the app shows.

I would recommend this for any VZW customer planning a vacation to WDW or Disneyland.

I've started a new thread on this topic about Disney Parks Mobile Magic. The Disney Parks Mobile Magic app

Please direct all comments about this topic there.