Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss How Bad Is Expedition Everest? in the Vacation Planning forums; Even though I have been going to Disney since 1988 and were around watching Expedition Everest being built a few years ago, I've never ridden it, not even at the ...
    Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder

How Bad Is Expedition Everest?

Even though I have been going to Disney since 1988 and were around watching Expedition Everest being built a few years ago, I've never ridden it, not even at the AP preview. Mainly because I have mitral valve prolapse (a heart condition) and coud never get a straigt answer from anyone as to how "bad" the ride is.

I was diagnosed with mital valve prolapse about three years ago. I still can and do ride most attractions, the only attractions I've sworn off completely are Tower of Terror, the original Mission:Space and Rockin Roller Coaster (though I'd previously ridden the last two mentioned before I was diagnosed with absolutely no issue with the RR Coaster but getting off very pale from Mission: Space). I can still ride attractions such as Big Thunder, Space Mountain, Dinosaur, Splash Mountain, Test Track, the revised version of Mission Space, Body Wars, Star Tours, ect., without any problems at all.

I've heard some people say that Expedition Everest is like a cross between Big Thunder and the Matterhorn, both of which I have absolutely no problem tolerating physically. But then, I've heard other people say that its more of a cross between RR Coaster and Big Thunder, which is a "safe" attraction for me and one from my "written off" list. So how bad is Expedition Everest in your opinion? How many G's does it pull compared to Big Thunder and the original version of Mission:Space?
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    It's definitely faster than big thunder, I would say that it is a more tame version of RnRc because it doesn't have the inversions. If you think you can handle RnRc then you can handle Everest.
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    The G's are negligable, especially in comparison to Mission:Space. I consider it on the same level as BTMRR, and *much* smoother. BTMRR bounces you around like a pinball. EE is incredibly smooth in comparison.

The part that some people think is "bad" is when you go backwards in the dark. I personally have no problem with it, but I've heard some people swear up and down that you actually go upside down during this part. You don't, I promise.

The unfortunate truth for you is that everyone is going to have a different opinion. Only you can truly judge how "bad" it is for you.

smith913 is offline Fastpass Holder
    I love that ride! Now, keep in mind . . . I am careful to keep my head firmly plastered against the back at all times! At some point, I slacked, and my head slid right and off, thus giving me a small neck cramp around a curve!!
    Last edited by smith913; 02-22-2008 at 06:46 PM.
    Samantha

October 2005 - All Star Movies, October 2006 - Pop Century, October 2008 - Pop Century, October 2009 - Pop Century, October 2011 - Pop Century

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by mritty View Post
    The G's are negligable, especially in comparison to Mission:Space. I consider it on the same level as BTMRR, and *much* smoother. BTMRR bounces you around like a pinball. EE is incredibly smooth in comparison.

The part that some people think is "bad" is when you go backwards in the dark. I personally have no problem with it, but I've heard some people swear up and down that you actually go upside down during this part. You don't, I promise.

The unfortunate truth for you is that everyone is going to have a different opinion. Only you can truly judge how "bad" it is for you.
    The backwards part is the part that gets me, I definitely feel the Gs and have to catch my breath, for me EE is more of a thrill ride than BTMRR or SM and even Matterhorn. I would compare it to RnRC as far as thrill level. But yes, everyone will have their own take on it and how they react on the ride.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Out of curiosity, have you discussed your inclination for rides with your doctor? Honestly, DH and I both put EE the same group as RnRC. Only you will know for sure what will work for you.

I've brought up some concerns about rides with my doctor and have been given the greenlight every time. Although DH and I LOVE Mission:Space, there are times we just cannot ride it. So, it just depends on how we are the day we're in Epcot. M:S is the only Disney ride we restrict ourselves based on how we are physically.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

PlutoGirl is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I agree with MandaBella. I would definitely ask a doctor if you're concerned...its a good ride but not worth the health risk if your doctor feels its a risk.

That said, I would compare it more to Rock and Roller Coaster than BTMRR. Fairly smooth, some "g's", but no inversions. I personally love it, but I'm a coaster buff.
    Disney Lover and Mom of 2 little guys (ages 4 and 2)
    Royal Plaza '84, P.O Fr. Qtr '93, Off-site Honeymoon 2003, Off-site 2007(first visit for boys), CR/FW Cabin January 2009, planning FW Cabin May 2010 now...

Jacknife is offline A-Ticket holder
    It's difficult for one person to evaluate the intensity of a ride for someone else...

Not to sound like a cheap Forrest Gump knock-off, but rides are like hot sauces - what may be "mild" for one person, could be very intense for another.

During one of our previous trips, Expedition Everest was shut down because a person with a pre-existing heart condition expired at some point after the on-ride photo (around the middle of the ride). Part of the ride is in the dark with many twists and turns, and there's a mechanical Yeti near the end of the ride that takes a swing at the train. ...This could frighten someone whom wasn't expecting the beast to attack.

There are some videos online, that should give you an idea of the general layout. Unfortunately, you can't see the dark ride potion, but you can catch a glimpse of the Yeti.

...On a lighter note, and to playfully mock Forrest Gump:
    "Rollercoasters are like a box of chocolates - you never know when a nut's next to ya!" -- Jac

: . . : . : . : : . . . . : : : . . . : : : : . : . : : : : . : : : . : : . : . . : : : . . : : . : : . . : . :

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacknife View Post
    ...On a lighter note, and to playfully mock Forrest Gump:
    "Rollercoasters are like a box of chocolates - you never know when a nut's next to ya!" -- Jac

thanks a lot.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

prickle is offline Fastpass Holder
    The hill going up was very scary to me, when you look down you don't see the track. If you keep your eyes closed like I did the rest of the ride isn't too bad. The going backwards is over pretty quickly. Luckily, for the two seconds I opened my eyes, I saw the Yetti. Just go ahead and ride it because if you don't you will regret it until you get another chance.

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    This isn't a matter of I'm too scared to ride the ride, its a matter of I don't know if physically it will be in my best interest to ride. I most certainly will not ride it until I talk to my doctor, as he knows my heart condition best and what kind of "abuse" it can take and what it can't. The big thing is going to be the G's...not really how "scary" the ride is or anything.

I probably won't be riding it anytime soon, but next time I go in for a yearly exam I might mention the possibility of me being able to ride this attraction.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

elphaba is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I wouldn't take a risk with this one. It's an amazing attraction, but it does get a bit jerkey at times, and the backwards part is all over the place. And the G's are crazy on the drop. But I would talk to your doctor about it.
    RYAN

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    I'm going to take the side of caution. No ride is worth experiencing if you already know that you have a pre-existing health condition that could affect you. I agree with several people who suggested asking your doctor. Rides affect people differently and you certainly don't want to put yourself in harms way.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!
    I agree with a lot of folks that you should talk to your doctor, but I hope you get to experience EE. It's incredible.