Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Mission:Space in the Vacation Planning forums; Hey everyone! I want to find out what the difference is between the two versions of mission space. I have never been on either of them before, and I am ...
    rocknrollercfan is offline Fastpass Holder
    Waiting to leave WI and go to Disney World

Mission:Space

Hey everyone! I want to find out what the difference is between the two versions of mission space. I have never been on either of them before, and I am going to Disney this year and I want to go on them. I have heard from a lot of people that it is one of the most intense rides that they have ever been on. Since I am a huge thrill seeker it really doesn't matter which one I will go on, I am just curious to know the difference.

Thanks

I love Donald Duck

Ashley
    Walt Disney World

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    The green version of Mission:Space does not have the centrifuge turned on. Therefore, you do not experience any g-force. Instead, it's basically the same as Star Tours - a simulator that moves in conjunction with the screen in front of you.

The orange version has a centrifuge turned on, and so you have significant g-force pressing you back against your seat, and occasionally gives you feelings of weightlessness. Because your body has no frame of reference to the outside world, you do not get "dizzy" for the spinning. Your brain is fooled into just thinking you're going relatively straight "up" or "down".

Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollercfan View Post
    Hey everyone! I want to find out what the difference is between the two versions of mission space. I have never been on either of them before, and I am going to Disney this year and I want to go on them. I have heard from a lot of people that it is one of the most intense rides that they have ever been on. Since I am a huge thrill seeker it really doesn't matter which one I will go on, I am just curious to know the difference.

Thanks
    I love thrill rides, too, but for some odd reason, I can't handle the centrifuge-side of Mission: Space. (I'm nauseaus for about an hour and a half afterward - blech!) I'm totally fine on the other side, though, and I think it's a really cool attraction. Just something to keep in mind if you have any motion sickness issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Smack81 View Post
    I love thrill rides, too, but for some odd reason, I can't handle the centrifuge-side of Mission: Space. (I'm nauseaus for about an hour and a half afterward - blech!) I'm totally fine on the other side, though, and I think it's a really cool attraction. Just something to keep in mind if you have any motion sickness issues.
    Thank you both for the help. It's a good thing I don't get motion sickness, I will consider going on it in July.

I love Donald Duck

Ashley
    Walt Disney World

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    Pretty much what everyone else said: Green side is like Star Tours or Body Wars. Orange side is much more intense (and is also the side where all the deaths with the ride have been associated).

I've ridden both sides of the attraction. The first side I rode was the Orange when they had it open for the AP preview. It was an awsome attrction and I like thrill rides and don't get motion sick, but this was the first and last time I rode the orange side. I got out extremely pale and felt very light headed. I didn't ride the attraction again until they installed the green side. Now I do the attraction every time I'm there on the green side, but you couldn't pay me to get on the orange side again.

As a side note, I'd recommend not eating before you ride just in case. Also, given the rides reputation and the amount of "thrill lovers" that do have problems with this ride, I might advise getting a physical done before you go and making sure you're 100% healthy and no undiagnosed heart problems or anything. Again, the orange side is an awsome experience for those physically healthy enough to enjoy it, but for many people its not for them. Unknowingly to me, the first time I rode it on the orange side I rode with an undiagnosed heart condition. I very easily could have ended up like the other people that have died on the attraction. But if you're in good health and have no problems I think that the orange side is something that shouln't be missed. Otherwise, choose the green side.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

BethD is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I love thrill rides as well and usually have no problem but I did not feel well after riding the Orange side as well. I enjoyed the ride while I was on it but regretted it after getting off. I stick to the Green side now and enjoy it just fine.
    Beth D

beth@MouseFanTravel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

Thanks guys. I have heard about all of the deaths on this ride and it's one of the reasons that I have not gone on it yet.

I love Donald Duck

Ashley
    Walt Disney World

Smack81 is offline Long Live IllumiNations!
    Oh, one other thought. The first time I experienced the attraction, it was with a full bladder. (I was too impatient to make a pit stop.) I wouldn't do that again!

satijp is offline Fastpass Holder
    My son rode it for the first time (before there was orange and green) when he was 5, and said it was the best ride he'd ever been on. My 4-year-old niece, however, has been on every other ride at WDW (except RnRC cuz she's not tall enough yet) and gets freaked out by the begining video before you even get in the ride at M:S. I've never been on green and the cast members say it's basically just like watching a movie on the video screen.
    -Tanya

Jan '07 Pop Century, Mar '07 Day Trip, April '07 Off Property, May '07 OKW, July '07 POR, Oct '07 Pop Century (& MNSSHP!!!), Dec '07 Day Trip

Jan '08 POR
    Feb '08 Pop
    Mar '08 Off Property
    April '08 AS Sports - I think - still gotta book it

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...
    I've done both sides and not had a problem with either of them.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

Thanks for all the help you guys.

I love Donald Duck

Ashley
    Walt Disney World

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by satijp View Post
    I've never been on green and the cast members say it's basically just like watching a movie on the video screen.
    That is a disturbingly inaccurate description. "Watching a movie" generally doesn't entail being strapped in to your seat, rocked back and forth, twisted sideways, etc. If you tell your kid "it's just like watching a movie" and then he goes on M:S Green, I'd be willing to bet he'll never believe another word you say....