Your Walt Disney World Information Station

Poll: Which Horizons Ending Do You Like The Most

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss What was it like to be on Horizons in the Vacation Planning forums; By the time I saw Epcot Horizons was no longer there. I have seen in books only, and looks to be an interesting ride. What do other people feel about ...
    jarmitc2032 is offline Lives At Epcot

Question What was it like to be on Horizons

By the time I saw Epcot Horizons was no longer there. I have seen in books only, and looks to be an interesting ride. What do other people feel about it?

MayBWeRMnt2B is offline living happily ever after...
    Horizons was my favorite ride as a little kid. It was one of the rides that I barely ever saw with a line but it was amusing no matter how many times you went on it. I loved riding in the cars how they loved sideways and I loved all the big screened rooms you went through. (If I remember one was of space, one was of some sort of sport?) Although my two favorite parts were 1) the smell of the oranges. I thought that was amazing. It has appeared in other disney rides since then (the scent deal) but I always loved the smell of oranges once you entered the agricultural area. 2) I loved where you could pick land, sea, or space (Is there one more?) because it made the ride feel personalized. Whoever I was in the car with I'd vote for them so I'd get what I wanted.

I was devestated when they took it down. I still miss it. Mission:Space isnt as much as a family-friendly ride like Horizons was. It was definately an awesome ride.
    - Jeanne

Engaged at Sunset Point - July 17th, 2008
    Married at Sunset Point - March 3, 2009
    Disney World & Disneyland Honeymoon

Aulani - September 2011

Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart.
    And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes.
    They're shining deep down inside of you.
    'Cause that my friends is where the magic lives

Quote Originally Posted by MayBWeRMnt2B
    I was devestated when they took it down. I still miss it. Mission:Space isnt as much as a family-friendly ride like Horizons was. It was definately an awesome ride.
    I quess nothing lasts forever

wdw4us2 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Jensen Beach, FL - 2 hours from the Mouse House
    There were so many things about Horizons that we loved.

I liked how it started out with Jules Verne, and I remember explaining to my daughter who he was. I really liked the look of the future city, it reminded me of The Jetsons. I liked the orange smell from the agriculture scene, too.

Mostly, we liked it because of the story. It was interesting how they worked up the ideas to the end of the attraction where you picked your own ending. We would go on it several times in a row so everyone could choose the ending they wanted.

I like thrill rides, too, but not if they're going to completely replace creative attractions.
    Lisa

"No capes!"

Quote Originally Posted by wdw4us2
    There were so many things about Horizons that we loved.

I liked how it started out with Jules Verne, and I remember explaining to my daughter who he was. I really liked the look of the future city, it reminded me of The Jetsons. I liked the orange smell from the agriculture scene, too.

Mostly, we liked it because of the story. It was interesting how they worked up the ideas to the end of the attraction where you picked your own ending. We would go on it several times in a row so everyone could choose the ending they wanted.

I like thrill rides, too, but not if they're going to completely replace creative attractions.
    I'm glad you had fun when you were on it. I would of liked to experience the different endings. The books that I have read said that Horizons was the only ride to have that. So what do you think of its replacement. Mission:Space was the only ride to make me feel sick, but I still found it to be fun. I also wish more people liked Horizons because it sounds fun.

rhodisney is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Horizons was my favorite ride. I liked that it went sideways well probably in a circle much like the Carousel of Progress. You got to see different scenes of how people will live in the future. My favorite scene showed a resteraunt that was supposed to be underwater and some little kids learning to scuba dive. My daughter and I buy orange potpourri at Xmas time for our houses because that smell of Oranges has been burned into our memory so strongly. I have never been on a ride that made more of an impression on me. (I have high hopes for Everest, though!!)
    Planning our 11th trip!!!
    Week after Christmas 2007POP Century
    Loved the new Pirates movie!!

yensid1071 is offline Fastpass Holder
    This was one of my fave rides, other than the original JII and WoM. Just peek at my avatar. The first few times I rode it, I actually had to wait in line for it. I loved how the ride was set up and it would take you around a scene, not just in front of it (i.e. the underwater scene and the agriculturial scene). And I loved the nod to Walt with the CoP song, "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow", playing in the "future house" scene. I was lucky enough to capture it on my camcorder a few months before it closed. I dragged DW on it twice to get 2 of the 3 ending sequences. Actually, the ride stopped while we were in that scene while I was filming. The only problem is that my camcorder was stolen about a year ago while on vacation. I still have the tape tho, but need to get a new camcorder or adapter to watch it.
    I haven't been on Mission: Space yet, but one of these days I'll get back there....

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Horizons was a great ride. Unfortunately, it was doomed from Day 1 in that is was built on a sinkhole. The ride system was like a Doom Buggy for four, but it was suspended from the top. There was a slight forward tilt to the seat that gave me the jitters, and the mechanics were not the smoothest. The lift system took you past some scenes (described in many places) and then all of a sudden you were at the top of the ride and you entered an Imax theater that blew you away the first time you experienced it. You only got to see a part of the movie loop. I am afraid of heights and even though there was a floor near the vehicle you could tell you were way up there by looking at the screen from top to bottom. After the Imax, you were taken down to the end scene that you had a choice in. However, it never seemed to work for us. In all, I would say we rode Horizons about 7 times before it closed. Near the end of its existance it broke down a lot. One time we were stuck in front of the space wheel for over 15 minutes. It was not a good experience with two children, one of which had to go to the bathroom. We made it to the end just in the nick of time.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) Total Trips/Days = 26/353

*Off Property

If disney were to bring back Horizons, do you think it would surive, or do you think it would repeat history and be replaced by another ride?

dzney4lyf is offline i come with a warning
    It was all about the orange scent...........

GirlStar613 is offline Queen of Couture
    there is nothing like that orange scent...i also never really had to wait on line for that ride....it was just so clever and interesting...i usually picked either the space ending or the undersea one...i thought the desert/land ending was a bit dry...hehe i liked how it kinda brought the past and the future together
    Erica

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday. There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, just a dream away!"

When I grow up I wanna be a Disney

orange scent must be something because everybody is talking about it.

yensid1071 is offline Fastpass Holder
    Mmmmmm.... the orange scent. I remember that well!! I'm not sure how a ride like Horizons would work today. There's such a heavy emphasis on thrill rides now, so it would have a very fine niche. Personally, I'd want it to do well since it's one of my faves, but they'd have to include a ride like M:S in the same pavilion to go with it to draw in a wider audience.
    Jay
    Mahna mahna....

Officially escaped the Box on January 4, 2012!

I have short term memory loss. It runs in the family. Well, at least I *think* it does. Hmmmm... where are they???

imtxag85 is offline A-Ticket holder
    Now I remember Horizons! I remembered the name but could not remember anything else...but after reading the posts it started to come back. You sat in little cars ..omnimovers, I think.
    "A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone."
    ~Jo Godwin
    "When you're curious, you find lots of interesting things to do. And one thing it takes to accomplish something is courage."

Walt Disney

flutter is offline Moderator
    I never saw Horizons I wish I had

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast