Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss To all the Pixar haters out there... in the Vacation Planning forums; And by "haters", I mean those who complain every time a Pixar character is added to the theme parks - Nemo's two attractions, Monster's Inc, the Block Party Bash, etc. ...
    mritty is offline Fastpass Holder

Question To all the Pixar haters out there...

And by "haters", I mean those who complain every time a Pixar character is added to the theme parks - Nemo's two attractions, Monster's Inc, the Block Party Bash, etc. You know who you are. If you've complained "I'm sick of seeing Pixar characters, I want to see the Disney characters!!", then I'm talking to you! :-)

It is my assertion that it is not Pixar characters that keep invading the parks, but rather the newest popular character, regardless of where they originated. The problem is that since the Pixar era began, there have not been any good Disney characters created. Here is my argument:

Year --- Disney ---------------------------- Pixar
    --- Pocahontas ------------------------ Toy Story
    --- Hunchback of Notre Dame -----------
    --- Hercules --------------------------
    --- Mulan ----------------------------- A Bug's Life
    --- Tarzan ---------------------------- Toy Story 2
    --- Emperor's New Groove --------------
    --- Atlantis -------------------------- Monster's Inc
    --- Lilo & Stitch / Treasure Planet ---
    --- Brother Bear ---------------------- Finding Nemo
    --- Home on the Range ----------------- Incredibles
    --- Chicken Little --------------------
    --- ----------------------------------- Cars
    --- Meet the Robinsons ---------------- Ratatouille

So here's my question. Since the Pixar era began, what movies that Disney released do you feel are under-represented in the parks? What characters has Disney created that are memorable enough to have a presence? If you think the Pixar characters are too prevalent, then it follows that you think the Disney characters of the same era should have moved in instead, no? I think we can all agree that Stitch is a great character - and he's everywhere. Pocahontas is in Animal Kingdom. Hunchback, Hercules, and Mulan all got their own parades at MGM, I think. But Emperor's New Groove? Home on the Range? Chicken Little? You really want to see any of those atrocities in the parks? I certainly don't.

In my opinion, Disney is not simply "using just the Pixar characters", they are using the best characters available to them created in the past 13 years, regardless of who created them.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by mritty View Post
    But Emperor's New Groove? Home on the Range? Chicken Little? You really want to see any of those atrocities in the parks?
    ENG an atrocity? I wouldn't put it in the same category as Chicken Little or Home on the Range.

I think the only thing I've ever complained about is when they changed AE over to SGE and bombarded us with Stitch! I've not once complained about Pixar 'invading' WDW.

sorry, but i have to agree with disneydreamer. Classify ENG with Home On The Range?
    there's nothing to get hung about

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    My DH and I have always been fans of Pixar's work (both features and shorts), so we never understood this attitude some Disney fans have.

I've always felt that Pixar picked up where Disney left off at times when it comes to consistently creating great stories and memorable characters. I could care less what method of animation is used. My only real complaint about Pixar is that they haven't released a musical yet, I wish they would.

And, I really enjoy The Emperor's New Groove, to each their own. I've never warmed up to Chicken Little or Home of the Range.
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by disneydreamer98 View Post
    ENG an atrocity? I wouldn't put it in the same category as Chicken Little or Home on the Range.
    Thank you for that comment, I thought to myself, "What?! I love ENG!" I wish I could see Kronk in the parks. That is one of my favorite movies!

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    After reading that list, consider me a Pixar fan as well as a Disney fan, I really enjoy all the Pixar features. Not that it's a big deal or anything but you're missing The Wild for 2006.

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    I don't hate Pixar, I think they deliver better quality movies than Disney does IMO, but I have a problem with how they feel they need to milk the movies and characters that just came out until they're bone dry. One of the things I used to love about Disney was how they create new characters and storylines like Alien Encounter, Journey to Imagination with Dreamfinder and Figment, and so on. What ticks me off is how they have to remove these attractions because they don't tie in with a recent movie. Good example is how they had to redo Countdown to Extinction to Dinosaur. Seriously, why? Were they afraid that some people won't like it because they haven't seen these characters on the big screen before? I've called it before and think it will happen soon, they will retheme Everest to Brother Bear (just say the bear went over the mountain to go on vacation and ended up on the wrong montain) OR come out with a crappy Yeti movie and change the Yeti in the mountain to sing and dance and slow the train down so you can see his little dance number, and the dancing Yeti merchandise with him in a top hat and cane will fly off the shelves! I know it's not easy creating a new character with storyline, but they're able to do it for the big screen, why can't they do it for new attractions like they used to?

Quote Originally Posted by albino_pygmy View Post
    I don't hate Pixar, I think they deliver better quality movies than Disney does IMO, but I have a problem with how they feel they need to milk the movies and characters that just came out until they're bone dry.
    Um, but how is milking characters unique to Pixar though? Pixar isn't responsible for Winnie the Pooh, Princesses, Pirates, Stitch, HSM, Hannah Montana, etc. Disney has thoroughly overexposed these to the point that some people can barely tolerate them anymore due to their "popularity" which leads to merchandise and profits.

Or is the "they" in your sentence referring to Disney, not Pixar?

I agree with you on Dinosaur. I didn't see the point of that.
    Amanda

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Bell View Post
    After reading that list, consider me a Pixar fan as well as a Disney fan, I really enjoy all the Pixar features. Not that it's a big deal or anything but you're missing The Wild for 2006.
    Blame Wikipedia. This is where I got the list from: List of Disney theatrical animated features - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I'm guessing it's not listed because Disney only released it, it was actually produced by CORE Animation. Much the same way Disney only released the Pixars.

As for Emperor's New Groove, yes I admit it's more popular than the others I labeled "atrocities". I personally don't like it. But that's besides the point. Can you really see Kuzko or Kronk or.... whatever the main protagonist's name is .... in an attraction? Moreso than Woody, Buzz, Nemo, Mike & Sully, etc?

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    Um, but how is milking characters unique to Pixar though? Pixar isn't responsible for Winnie the Pooh, Princesses, Pirates, Stitch, HSM, Hannah Montana, etc. Disney has thoroughly overexposed these to the point that some people can barely tolerate them anymore due to their "popularity" which leads to merchandise and profits.

Or is the "they" in your sentence referring to Disney, not Pixar?

I agree with you on Dinosaur. I didn't see the point of that.
    "They" as in Disney, since now they took in Pixar.

Quote Originally Posted by mritty View Post
    y CORE Animation. Much the same way Disney only released the Pixars.

As for Emperor's New Groove, yes I admit it's more popular than the others I labeled "atrocities". I personally don't like it. But that's besides the point. Can you really see Kuzko or Kronk or.... whatever the main protagonist's name is .... in an attraction? Moreso than Woody, Buzz, Nemo, Mike & Sully, etc?
    Actually, I can see the characters from TENG in an attraction. I think Kronk and Yzma specifically would be fun as walk around characters.
    Amanda

FigmentMushu is offline Chuck & Leigh
    Just last week I said to my wife...

"Imagine what the Disney parks would look like if you removed all the Pixar."

She gave a look like she just ate a bug and said, "wayyyy to much Brother Bear."
    Dreams Never Die!

KingJamesUT is offline The Hakuna Kahuna
    Quote Originally Posted by FigmentMushu View Post
    Just last week I said to my wife...

"Imagine what the Disney parks would look like if you removed all the Pixar."

She gave a look like she just ate a bug and said, "wayyyy to much Brother Bear."
    That's funny.

I love TENG, but I agree that it would be difficult to bring into a park. I feel that way mostly because the characters (protagonist and antagonists) are very stereotyped as either selfish and/or dumb. At least villains can get away with that, but not necessarily the main character.
    I also love stitch, and seeing him in the parks. All the pranks they pulled when the movies were just coming out were funny. I actually do regret not seeing the castle getting tp'd. I think that was hilarious. I like SGE just as much, if not more than AE. May be biased though.
    The key I think, though, is balance. They need to keep coming up with new story lines to entice us to explore the parks over and over again, but they also should be allowed to use easily recognizable characters to bring us to those as well.
    Stitch Smash!

'86, '87, '88, '89, '90, '91, '94, '95, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '08

'87, '89, '90, '93, '94, '99, '01, '05, '08

'92, '95, '96, '99, '04

'08

KingJamesUT is offline The Hakuna Kahuna
    P.S.
    I love every pixar movie that has come out so far, so I like the characters showing up in the park. I just recently watched the pixar parade at DCA and it looked good.
    Stitch Smash!

'86, '87, '88, '89, '90, '91, '94, '95, '97, '98, '99, '00, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '08

'87, '89, '90, '93, '94, '99, '01, '05, '08

'92, '95, '96, '99, '04

'08

Quote Originally Posted by MandaBella View Post
    Actually, I can see the characters from TENG in an attraction. I think Kronk and Yzma specifically would be fun as walk around characters.
    Me too!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast