Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Next Week's Weather Reality in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi, Quick Question.. After years of careful saving and planning, my family vacation to WDW is finally happening next week. This will be my kids (age 14, 11 and 7) ...
    DisFanFilmSteve is offline A-Ticket holder

Question Next Week's Weather Reality

Hi,
    Quick Question.. After years of careful saving and planning, my family vacation to WDW is finally happening next week. This will be my kids (age 14, 11 and 7) first trip to the world although my wife and I have been several times, just not in the last 5 years. The times I have gone have always been in the slower season (January and February) as that coincided with my business travel to Orlando. Needless to say, I have never been to the parks in June and that in and of itself is intimidating.

But my question is this.. according to the weather reports, every day it says there will be patchy rain and Thunderstorms. What exactly does this mean? Coming from Oregon, to us that means it will be a nasty, cloudy, gray week. But what does it mean for Orlando? Does it mean it will be mostly sunny and hot where occasionally it will cloud over, rain for a few minutes, then go back to being nice? We just don't know what to expect and are trying to pack correctly.

Any help would be appreciated!

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    It sounds to me like it is going to be the usuall "Florida" rain. It will rain for a few min. then clear up and be nice. But I don't know for sure. That's what usually happens when we go lol. Have a great trip!!
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by DisFanFilmSteve View Post
    But my question is this.. according to the weather reports, every day it says there will be patchy rain and Thunderstorms. What exactly does this mean? Coming from Oregon, to us that means it will be a nasty, cloudy, gray week. But what does it mean for Orlando? Does it mean it will be mostly sunny and hot where occasionally it will cloud over, rain for a few minutes, then go back to being nice?
    Generally, yes, that's what it means. This time of year, thunderstorms start kicking up around 2PM. They're sometimes rather intense with heavy rain and lots of lightning, but typically are over within 15 minutes. Unfortunately they don't really cool things off very much, and within about a half hour of the sun coming back out you wouldn't even be able to tell that it had even rained.

I suppose you could bring ponchos and stuff like that so that you can be protected from the rain -- I see lots of people do that. But ponchos don't protect you from lightning, so my advice would be to just be aware of places where you can duck in for cover in the event of a storm, particularly during the late afternoon hours. Think restaurants, restrooms, and covered breezeways rather than rides, as most of the rides are continuously moving and when you get to the end you have to go outside, no matter how hard it's raining or how intense the lightning is.

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)
    Basically, for Orlando, that means it'll be sunny most of the day, then sometime around mid-afternoon, you'll turn your back for 2 seconds and BOOM! There will be a thunderstorm that lasts anywhere from 5 minutes to a halfhour.

It's nothing too serious, just means it's a perfect time to stop for a snack, find an indoor attraction or go shopping....it shouldn't ruin your vacation, just have to plan around it a bit. Have a great trip!
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    ...and .... you both forgot that the humidity will be very high. Drink water, be patient, and remember a less wonderful weather day at WDW is STILL better than being at work on a sunny day. The short rainstorms act a reminder to get out of the sun for a bit and cool your heels in a well-covered area.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Experiment_626 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by tizzo
    Think restaurants, restrooms, and covered breezeways rather than rides, as most of the rides are continuously moving and when you get to the end you have to go outside, no matter how hard it's raining or how intense the lightning is.
    And as I learned on a trip in early April, rides and attractions the exposed even partially to the outdoors are shut down if there's sustained lightning. This will really increase the crowding on those rides which remain open.

But I wouldn't worry about that so much for typical Florida summertime "pop-up" showers, which is probably what you'll encounter.

SSB