Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Which Tour in the Vacation Planning forums; So this time around, for the first time in over 2 years, my husband I will have a little "alone" time at the parks. My mother and step-father are going ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Question Which Tour

So this time around, for the first time in over 2 years, my husband I will have a little "alone" time at the parks. My mother and step-father are going to take Aaron so that we can do Everest (finally) and we're thinking of also having them take him to allow us some time to do a tour.

I was really thinking about Keys to the Kingdom for the history of it and all but figured before we make any final decisions I'd see what you guys had done and what you thought. We're both Disney obsessed and love the behind the scenes type stuff. I think my hubby would love a shot at seeing the utilidoors (as unimpressive as they may be) but it's not a necessity.

Your thoughts? Help me decide!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Keys is a pretty neat tour, you would visit the backstage areas of the park, see a small section of the tunnel (once you've seen one part of it, you've seen it all, pretty much, lol) And then you get to ride through the jungle without having to sit through 10 minutes of bad jokes, how cool is that? :P It's a skipper's dream come true when a Key's tour boards their boat

ryankcr is offline A-Ticket holder
    We took the Keys to the Kingdom Tour last September and it is one of our best memories from that trip! We can't wait till we can do it again.
    These are a fewof our favorite things

hms1016 is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Loved the Key's to the Kingdom tour!
    Walt Disney World
    June 1980 - Off Site
    June 1983 - Off Site
    June 1985 - Off Site
    June 1988 - Off Site
    September 2003 - All Star Music
    September 2005 - Pop Century
    September 2006 - Pop Century
    October 2006 - Pop Century
    May 2007 - Pop Century
    October 2007 - Pop Century
    December 2007 - All Star Music
    May 2008 - Pop Century
    December 2008 - Mousefest - Pop Century
    Disneyland
    May 2005
    June 2007

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    I did Keys for my birthday last year and really enjoyed it. There was less backstage than I expected, and I would have thought that would have been a disappointment, but it really wasn't. Our tour guide was very knowledgeable and quite passionate about Disney. She actually seemed to choke up a little bit when relating a rather poignant story about the Disney family.

We got to ride Jungle Cruise with our tour guide replacing the skipper (who rode along with us) and dispensing with the normal spiel in favor of some behind the scenes information. We also got to jump the line for the Haunted Mansion. I understand however that which attractions you get to ride will vary from day to day and from tour to tour.

Lunch is included, and on the day we went it was at Columbia Harbor House. I'm not sure if that varies or not. You have to give your lunch order up front when you arrive. I'm not that familiar with the menu there, but it seemed like most if not all of it was available.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Ok so here's my next question... on Disney's site it says "Large bags and cameras are not permitted on this tour." Does that mean "large cameras" are not allowed or "cameras"? Are you not allowed to take pictures as you go? I mean I understand certain things you can't (i.e. the utilidoors and other backstage areas) but none at all?
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Ok so here's my next question... on Disney's site it says "Large bags and cameras are not permitted on this tour." Does that mean "large cameras" are not allowed or "cameras"? Are you not allowed to take pictures as you go? I mean I understand certain things you can't (i.e. the utilidoors and other backstage areas) but none at all?
    They mean absolutely no cameras, and no large bags (presumably because they might contain a camera). You're warned when you sign up for the tour that you can't bring a bag or a camera, and if memory serves, you're warned again when you sign in that if you have a bag or camera you should bring it back to your car or rent a locker to store it during the tour.

After all that, however, another woman in our tour group had a backpack with her that she was permitted to take on the tour. (I remember because it bugged my wife that we left our bag in the car when we could have brought it with us and saved a trip out there after the tour was over). However noone on the tour had a camera that I could see.

The tour guide dealt with the issue pretty lightly. Each time we were going to enter a backstage area, she stopped and made everyone swear a rather silly oath not to take any pictures, make any recordings, etc., ending with "so help me Walt".

But anyway, as for the practical answer to your question, no cameras are allowed, and technically no bags. You might get away with a bag, but you're taking your chances.