Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Just an idea on how to get attraction wait times to your cell phone. in the Vacation Planning forums; OK, I was listening to the latest podcast and heard Lou mention the Bluetooth experiment at DL Paris. It got me to thinking, there has to be a way that ...
    WDWtraveler46 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Lightbulb Just an idea on how to get attraction wait times to your cell phone.

OK, I was listening to the latest podcast and heard Lou mention the Bluetooth experiment at DL Paris. It got me to thinking, there has to be a way that if you have a group of people at the same park at the same time, they can use their cell phone to send either a text message; or if you have a smart phone, an e-mail to the other people when they enter an attraction as to the wait time and, if it's not too much, the current fast pass return times.

Some obstacles I can think of is, I don't want to give an e-mail or my cell phone number to a bunch of people. Also, would people be willing to take the time to send a text?

I'm sure that WDW will get some sort of technology in there soon to eliminate this idea. However, I'm looking for something right now.

What do you guys think? Anyone have any suggestions to this process?

Disneyland Trips - 1976-2005 - Too many (or not enough) to count!
    Disneyland Annual Passholder - 1998-1999
    2005 - WDW Offsite
    2007 - Port Orleans FQ
    2008 - Coronado Springs
    Feb. 2009 - Disneyland(We celebrated Jacque's b-day.)
    Sept. 2009 - DCL and Coronado Springs (Just can't get enough of the magic!)
    Mar. 2010 - Disney's California Adventure and Disneyland
    Oct. 2010 - Disney's California Adventure and Disneyland (Including Mickey's Halloween Party)
    Feb. 2011 - POFQ and the WDW Radio Cruise

"The way to get started is to quit talking and start doing." - Walt Disney
    Read about my 2008 WDW Trip Plans and now my Post Trip Report: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...ip-report.html
    Read about Eric & Jacque's 2011 vacation to Walt Disney World and on Lou's Cruise (Deck 7 Cool Kids!) at The Disney Hub

Visit my Disney site: The Disney Hub
    Follow me and The Disney Hub on Twitter: @disneyhub
    Like The Disney Hub on facebook: The Disney Hub Facebook Page
    Friend me up on facebook: Eric Steinmetz on Facebook
    Join the Deck 7 neighbors facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...6457502&ref=nf

Deposit on the WDW Cruise:$400.00
    Going on a trip to WDW and cruise with my wife: Priceless!!!
    Going on a trip to WDW and a Cruise with my wife and our Disney Friends (And Box People):Absolutely Priceless!!!
    Going on a trip to WDW and a Cruise with my wife, our Disney Friends (And Box People), and with my family:Extremely Priceless!!!!

PlutoGirl is offline C-Ticket Holder
    If they were acquaintance type friends of yours, but you didn't want to give out your phone number, you could do something like twitter
    Disney Lover and Mom of 2 little guys (ages 4 and 2)
    Royal Plaza '84, P.O Fr. Qtr '93, Off-site Honeymoon 2003, Off-site 2007(first visit for boys), CR/FW Cabin January 2009, planning FW Cabin May 2010 now...

Quote Originally Posted by PlutoGirl View Post
    If they were acquaintance type friends of yours, but you didn't want to give out your phone number, you could do something like twitter
    It would be other people. I'm figuring the more people, the more info., the better it would be. I'll check twitter out to see what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the response.

2005 - WDW Offsite
    2007 - Port Orleans FQ
    2008 - Coronado Springs
    Oct. 2010 - Disney's California Adventure and Disneyland (Including Mickey's Halloween Party)

Read about my 2008 WDW Trip Plans and now my Post Trip Report: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...ip-report.html
    Read about Eric & Jacque's 2011 vacation to Walt Disney World and on Lou's Cruise (Deck 7 Cool Kids!) at The Disney Hub

Join the Deck 7 neighbors facebook group at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...6457502&ref=nf

Going on a trip to WDW and a Cruise with my wife and our Disney Friends (And Box People):Absolutely Priceless!!!
    Going on a trip to WDW and a Cruise with my wife, our Disney Friends (And Box People), and with my family:Extremely Priceless!!!!

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    I'm fairly sure you can expect to see this little bluetooth project implemented at "The World" eventually. The Paris project is probably more of a pilot of the technology before they chose to roll it out to other parks. I'm still trying to figure out how they plan to get past the "pairing" aspect of bluetooth. I guess when you walk in you'd have to pair your device with the park's? It'll be interesting to see how it all works if they do every implement it in the states.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    I'm fairly sure you can expect to see this little bluetooth project implemented at "The World" eventually. The Paris project is probably more of a pilot of the technology before they chose to roll it out to other parks. I'm still trying to figure out how they plan to get past the "pairing" aspect of bluetooth. I guess when you walk in you'd have to pair your device with the park's? It'll be interesting to see how it all works if they do every implement it in the states.
    I agree with you BamaJenn. I think it will be better than the Nintendo DS project they tested since the majority of cell phones these days have Bluetooth built into them. It's only a matter of time. However, for now, this is just a thought I had for until it reached WDW to get information on attraction wait times instead of having to walk over to the wait time boards.

2005 - WDW Offsite
    2007 - Port Orleans FQ
    2008 - Coronado Springs

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    As far as I know, Universal's been doing this for quite some time now, but hasn't really made a big deal about it, so I'm guessing they were testing it, not sure if they still are or not. It was pretty neat how they did it. You had to register in (free, I assume :p) and whenever you wanted to, you can go through their little site and get the current wait times of all attractions, next time for shows, and a description of each attraction. When you were done, you had to make sure you unsubscribe to it or else you'd keep getting updates from Universal when you're home, and I don't think you'd want to know that Spiderman has a wait of 10 minutes when you're in the middle of a meeting

So true. It would be nice. Thanks AP!

2005 - WDW Offsite
    2007 - Port Orleans FQ
    2008 - Coronado Springs