Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Pixarification of Disney World in the Vacation Planning forums; It's really strange when the big corporations focus on "target demographics". The park visitors with money to spend are the grown ups, not the kids. So often I overhear parents ...
    Stitchgirl1 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    It's really strange when the big corporations focus on "target demographics". The park visitors with money to spend are the grown ups, not the kids.

So often I overhear parents telling kids that if they choose something at MK, then they can't have something from AK / Epcot/ HS etc..... (I'm not criticizing parents teaching kids the value of money, before I get jumped on for that...)

Contrast with the nostalgic grown ups that maybe don't have kids, more disposable income and who will drop literally hundreds of dollars on merchandise. Obviously I'm no expert but I think the merchandising is short sighted in that respect.

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchgirl1 View Post
    It's really strange when the big corporations focus on "target demographics". The park visitors with money to spend are the grown ups, not the kids.

So often I overhear parents telling kids that if they choose something at MK, then they can't have something from AK / Epcot/ HS etc..... (I'm not criticizing parents teaching kids the value of money, before I get jumped on for that...)

Contrast with the nostalgic grown ups that maybe don't have kids, more disposable income and who will drop literally hundreds of dollars on merchandise. Obviously I'm no expert but I think the merchandising is short sighted in that respect.
    My wife and I fall in the DINK category (dual income no kids). So I understand where you are coming from. But I understand the big business side. Back during when HSM became the juggernaut it is now, it was stated that the tween demographic is the most powerful purchasing demographic probably in the history of the modern American market and they don't earn money they get it from their parents but parents let them spend it how they see fit.

I also remember reading somewhere that when it comes to Disney the spending power of those without kids is shadowed by those with kids. So us DINKs and SINKs are not really that of a big deal to Disney and most corporatations. In fact, I think if all of us without kids stopped going to Disney, I highly doubt it would cause that big of a ripple in the cash flow.
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchgirl1 View Post
    We parents may be the ones with the money, but we're going to spend it on things that make our kids happy. If that means going to DHS to see the Toy Story and Cars characters instead of going to Epcot, that's probably what they are going to do.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    If any company wasn't concerned with "target demographics", they'd soon find themselves out of business. (DH was just questioned by a researcher yesterday at MK. The researcher didn't spend much time talking to him when she found out we were locals.) As a retired couple without grandchildren, living in the WDW area, we are on the low end of that demographic curve. DD is single without children. That's right at the bottom as well.

I remember Lou stating in his last pod cast that Snow White's Adventure opened soon after the movie premiered. Disney has a history of opening new attractions based on a new movie, especially if the movie was well received in the theaters. In marketing, it's probably called cashing in on the excitement. Currently, the excitement is coming from Pixar Movies; a company owned by Disney. I like Pixar movies and don't find anything wrong with seeing Pixar based items or attractions. It's all still Disney in my mind.

Every new project will push less current projects out. That's called progress. Till the Fab Five start to disappear, I'm just going to go with the flow. Fads come and go. You don't see coon-skin caps all over the parks anymore, do you? As long as "the family" is the target for the Disney Company, the rest of us will just have to go along for the ride. I fool the marketing people by sticking with Mickey as my fav. His merchandise always seems to be available.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

mritty is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    I remember Lou stating in his last pod cast that Snow White's Adventure opened soon after the movie premiered.
    I think you're thinking of the recent DSI on Peter Pan's Flight, which opened with the park in 1955, 2 years after the movie debuted.

Disneyland opened in 1955. Snow White premiered in 1937.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    Quote Originally Posted by mritty View Post
    I think you're thinking of the recent DSI on Peter Pan's Flight, which opened with the park in 1955, 2 years after the movie debuted.

Disneyland opened in 1955. Snow White premiered in 1937.
    Ya, but I wasn't around for the first time that Snow White made the rounds of the theaters. I probably saw it around 1956-57. Besides, I lived in a really small town in WI. It was probably coming to our theater for the 1st time in the 1950's.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

marker is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Isn't Pixar now part of the Disney family? It's no longer the competition, it IS Disney. Pixar stuff IS Disney stuff. It really wouldn't make much sense to go through the effort to bring them in and then not utilize them.

I say Welcome Aboard.
    Marker from MO
    ~ Unemployeed software developer looking for next opportunity
    ~ For more info see my home page
    ~ Friend of IASW's Happy Little Dolls (but don't hold that against me)

02/83 off site -- 11/83 off site -- 12/85 DLR --
    07/97 DL -- 08/00 ASMo -- 04/02 CBR --
    05/03 POFQ -- 06/04 DLR -- 07/06 Pop --
    03/07 POR -- 09/07 ASMu -- 04/08 ASSp --
    09/08 Pop -- 09/09 CSR -- 04/10 POR --
    05/10 SSR -- 10/10 CSR
    Next - 12/10 -2 nights SSR, 2 nights VBR (Vero Beach Resort)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12