Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Crowds? Attendance? And the Economy? in the Vacation Planning forums; Hi! I hope I'm in the right Topic for this. I have hardly started to explore the site, it may have already been addressed, but I'm curious to know. With ...
    snazzo is offline A-Ticket holder

Crowds? Attendance? And the Economy?

Hi!

I hope I'm in the right Topic for this. I have hardly started to explore the site, it may have already been addressed, but I'm curious to know.

With the economy on the verge of the Greater Depression (As oppposed to the Great Depression of the 1920s) are crowds thinner at Walt Disney World? Does anyone know? Anybody that works there? Or anyone that's been there recently?

I'm curious because if so - it would be a great time to plan a trip.

Up here in Chicago we have Six Flags. I was there this summer.
    -The water park was nice and busy, but the amusement park was noticeably less crowded. Several of the employees (They're not cast members at Six Flags) confirmed that things were slow this year.

Comments very welcome. Thanks!

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    It was pretty quiet in the parks last week, but then it usually is at this time of year.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Sonny Eclipse is offline Fastpass Holder
    I noticed it very quiet when I was there the first week in Sept. As disneydame2004 stated, it is typically quiet in September, so it is kind of hard to tell

I think the next few holidays will give us some indication.

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder
    It was pretty busy in June when I was there. You sure couldn't tell there was anything wrong with the economy then. But the news has gotten a whole lot worse since June.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    The idea is that most people plan their trips to Disney far in advance, up to a year or more, so Disney won't truly see the economic impact until into 2009. If you think about it, that makes sense. If you planned and paid for most of your 2008 trip in 2007, you're still going to go. Now however, a lot of people are feeling the pinch of their pockets and not calling to make the usual annual trip reservations for 2009.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    BamaJenn,

Depsite the fact that people book their trips a year or more in advance, I believe you can cancel up to 45 days before your trip and get almost all your money back. So I think September and October will be the first months to start seeing the impact of a bad economy.

I'm sorry, but if I was in a financial bind and my trip was paid for, I'd cancel and get my money back. Because as we all know there is a lot more money spent after you get there that can be avoided by not going.

But, when I was at WDW during the first week of September, it was significantly slower than previous years at the same time
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    I think this is a FINE time for WDW to have some incentives (lower prices) to get more families to go.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd
    Quote Originally Posted by harra View Post
    I'm sorry, but if I was in a financial bind and my trip was paid for, I'd cancel and get my money back. Because as we all know there is a lot more money spent after you get there that can be avoided by not going.
    I guess we're really talking about two different things. You of someone who is in a bad financial place and therefore has to cancel, and me of the general economic impact on Disney. The concept I mentioned was really just a reiteration of that which was discussed by a Disney employee on a recent podcast interview on this topic (and why ticket prices were raised when they knew the economy was poor). I suppose it was less about the possibility of canceling and more about how families typical plan their trips.

Will people who are broke and just can't afford it cancel? Sure. You're certainly right there. But there will also be people who look at it as already paid for and out of the budget and will still go to get away from the real world for awhile.

I know quite a few families where this is the case, myself included. Our January trip is booked and paid for and rather than cancel to get that little bit of extra money back in our pockets, we're using it as an escape and possibly the last trip we'll be able to afford for awhile.

I think honestly the impact will be a mix of the two.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse
    I think some crowds will drop, but the foreign visitors will continue expecially as currencies like the Euro remina strong vs the dollar.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

Bubba88 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    I was down in Disney last week, being there last year at this time, I would say I noticed a but of a difference in attendance. We got to most parks around 11am and there just didn't seem to be the crowds. I know it is the time of year, but talking to a few cast members, they also confirmed that attendance was off. I can tell you not staying on property and not having the dinning plan, we made our breakfast at the timeshare and just ate a late launch in the parks to save money. But if you have already paid for a trip I would rather look for these kind of alternatives than canceling.

Dale-not-Chip is offline B-Ticket Holder
    We went to the food and wine festival last year and MNSHP and were upset that the crowds felt like summer trip. Sure we had a good time but we felt betrayed that everyone convinced us that it is slow mid October.

We are July Disney people. Wife being a school teacher and all. We are used to going when it is super crowded. But this past summer it as noticeably less. Sure it was still summer crowds but It was less.

I would say if you can afford to get down there in the next year you'll be spoiled in relation to the crowd level because when things get better, and they always do, it will be more crowded than ever. all those people would have put it off till they were in better shape all going at once.

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder
    It was packed this past May. We're heading down in January so hopefully it will be nice and quiet
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

GUNMETALSCION is offline B-Ticket Holder
    WITH THE DECLINING DOLLAR YOU MAY SEE AN INCREASE IN OVERSEAS GUEST

Bubba88 is offline B-Ticket Holder
    There was a abundance of euro visitors there last week, but there always seems to be this time of year.

M5ward is offline C-Ticket Holder
    Looking like the euro isn't doing too good either. We're heading down next week and then again in January. We'd love to have short waits for the rides; but half the fun of Disney is people watching. Even if the crowds are down, there will still be plenty of people to meet.
    Michele
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on until Morning!
    ºoº * ~ ** ~ * ºoº

November, 1981 (CR), November, 1983 (CR), December, 1994 (off-site),January, 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), January, 2007 (SSR), November, 2007 (SSR), February. 2008 (BWV), October, 2008 (OKW), January, 2009 (BWV)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast