Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Weird Jungle Cruise Experience in the Vacation Planning forums; Hey everyone I just got back from WDW today and had a great time. On Sunday night, there were extra extra magic hours (till 1am) at the Magic Kingdom, so ...
    rollecoasterfan is offline A-Ticket holder

Weird Jungle Cruise Experience

Hey everyone
    I just got back from WDW today and had a great time. On Sunday night, there were extra extra magic hours (till 1am) at the Magic Kingdom, so we decided to go over there and ride our favorite rides one last time. I remember people saying that Jungle Cruise is totally different at night and it was. We found our guide interesting (for lack of a better term)
    She was pretty much insulting Disney, the people who are paying her! She said things like
    “See those baby elephants over there, they always say mommy, where’s mickey?” I cant remember this one word for word but It seemed like she was saying that this is how familes are when they come here

“If you look to your right… you’ll see nothing. You wanna know why? The Imagineers spent all there money on the tomb part.”

Also at the end she shouted something, I cant remember want, but some guy in our boat said, “why didn’t you use the microphone?” and she said “because I got yelled at”.

I found this behavior quite odd from a Disney employee. I was thinking that she might have a different spiel at night (I hope she doesn’t say all that every time around).

What do you think about this?
    What would the world be like with out WDW??

albino_pygmy is offline The voice of the Jungle
    Some skips think they can get away with bringing out the better jokes at night because of the lesser crowds. They'll be sitting up front and chances are they won't need to use the microphone. I've heard and used the above lines before both at night and during the day. It just depends on who you get and what they feel like saying. Also for the record, we do get paid weekly, very very weakly, which I'm sure she already mentioned, and should explain why she's making jokes on Disney
    Last edited by albino_pygmy; 10-13-2008 at 11:53 PM.

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    While visiting Disneyland, I'm guessing this was probably one of the very last tours of the evening, if not THE last trip. Our boat was actually "pulled over" by the local 5-O (which turned out to be other skippers in some kind of maintenance skiff holding aloft a red flashing light from Radio Shack), at which point our skipper was challenged to a field sobriety test, which he failed, and away he went in the skiff; replaced by someone else, who luckily was equally amusing.

This little example of jungle shenanigans takes the taco for me when it comes to weird experiences on the river.

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Cool! I always get entertaining skippers, but I always seem to hear the same speech - it would be cool to hear something different though!
    ~Ashleigh

BethD is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I just wish they would get the sound system on some of the boats fixed. I believe some of these skips would be hilarious if I could hear them.
    Beth D

beth@MouseFanTravel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

Silver Britches is offline A-Ticket holder
    I would chalk this up to one of a few things, or combination:
    #1: Doing the same spiel over and over again can get VERY monotonous, and some skippers change it up. (IMO they do it to either keep from going insane or because they feel it's more important to entertain themselves than the guests.)

#2: The skipper thinks she is funnier and has the misconception that it's all about her. (And thus doesn't get what Disney is all about.)

#3: She needs a break-- send that skipper to parade duty.

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder
    It appears to me that everyone is considering this to be humorous.I guess it could be seen that way,but I feel like it's disrespectful.It's disrespectful to the customers.We all pay a lot of money to go to Disney,and for a cast member to do anything less than how they were trained and instructed to do,it shows disrespect.Yes,I know that they have to say the ole corny monologue many,many times on their shift.But there are some of us out there,that happen to like the ole corny schtick.Furthermore,if they become 'burned-out' from the same job,they should ask for a transfer to another location.
    They are also being disrespectful to the Disney Co.They set the rules and guidelines to go by,they give the paychecks,and no one forced the cast member to apply there for a job.Lastly,they are being disrespectful to themselves.They applied for the job with the full intention to perform their job duties as instructed and trained.
    I'm not an old fogey,I'm not even 50 years old yet.I love to go to Disney,and if I had the opportunity to move to Orlando and work at Disney,I would.But I would do it with the utmost respect for my job,my family,myself,and most of all,for Uncle Walt.
    Park Hopper Dad!

Park Hopper Dad-- I couldn't agree with you more. I hope it didn't sound like I thought it was a funny situation; I was dead serious as I typed. Obviously I have some experience with the situation, and I've seen situations like this one more than I care to share. Some people just aren't cut out to work for Disney. When people don't see it as a privilege, and they think it's all about them, they should look for a new job.

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver Britches View Post
    Park Hopper Dad-- I couldn't agree with you more. I hope it didn't sound like I thought it was a funny situation; I was dead serious as I typed. Obviously I have some experience with the situation, and I've seen situations like this one more than I care to share. Some people just aren't cut out to work for Disney. When people don't see it as a privilege, and they think it's all about them, they should look for a new job.
    That's so true,about the cast members not realizing how blessed they are for being able to work there at Disneyworld.But I really think that a lot of it has to do with the fact that a big majority of the cast members are from the "next generation" that didn't grow up with Walt Disney on tv as many of us did back in the 60's and some 70's.
    They just see it as a paycheck,not an experience and privilege.
    Park Hopper Dad!

PlutoGirl is offline C-Ticket Holder
    I agree with Park Hopper Dad and Silver Britches. I'm sure the same spiel might be boring and it wouldn't even be that bad if they changed it a bit at night to take advantage of the different atmosphere, but the dialogue noted here is downright disrespectful and it would have ruined the ride for me if I'd been on the boat.

That's a shame!
    Disney Lover and Mom of 2 little guys (ages 4 and 2)
    Royal Plaza '84, P.O Fr. Qtr '93, Off-site Honeymoon 2003, Off-site 2007(first visit for boys), CR/FW Cabin January 2009, planning FW Cabin May 2010 now...

Toad's Buddy is offline Fastpass Holder
    I couldn't agree more...
    Have a Great, Big, Beautiful Today!

Toad's Buddy

"No more Laserdiscs for you, Grandpa!"

One thing I didn't mention-- the spiel might get a little tedious, but there are options (at least there used to be)-- throughout the "tour" a skipper can use one of 2-3 options for describing a scene. I've also seen people who, when they get bored, would try different accents to keep themselves on their toes. (Try doing the whole spiel in an Australian accent-- not easy!)

rock_doctor is offline A-Ticket holder
    Not bad, one year we had a driver who was new (very new) and forgot his lines. It was not a loss as the majority of the people on the boat had been on it enough that we just took turns doing the lines. I actually think it was funnier that way since we had lines that were current and lines from the past years. There was even a reference to the "20,000 leagues under the sea" ride. Which was nice since they closed it down in the early 80's.

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by rock_doctor View Post
    Not bad, one year we had a driver who was new (very new) and forgot his lines. It was not a loss as the majority of the people on the boat had been on it enough that we just took turns doing the lines. I actually think it was funnier that way since we had lines that were current and lines from the past years. There was even a reference to the "20,000 leagues under the sea" ride. Which was nice since they closed it down in the early 80's.
    That sounds like it was a lot of fun! I'd love to experience that.

kylewhit89 is offline Annual Passholder
    i would consider it a "weird" visit as well. wether or not they have a different speil at night or during the day there is no reason to make the company you work for look bad. You come to do your job without frustration and grief, and provide an over the top experience for each and every guest, you check your attitude at the door!

honestly if i would've hear that i would've went straight to guest relations so that another guest wouldn't experience the same thing.

i dont sound a bit harsh....do i?
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast