Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Rant about the American Idol Experience in the Vacation Planning forums; I just have a few thoughts and feelings about the new American Idol Experience that will be opening in January. I am also curious what everyone else thinks of this ...
    lobaugo is offline B-Ticket Holder

Rant about the American Idol Experience

I just have a few thoughts and feelings about the new American Idol Experience that will be opening in January. I am also curious what everyone else thinks of this new attraction.

I really think this is a bad move for Disney and I wish they would have used the old ABC Theater for something else. American Idol will be in its 8th season this new season and Simon Cowell has been quoted that season 9 will be American Idol's last season. So the people that win everyday will only get to audition for season 9, and the people that win after the auditions for season 9 will not be able to get the advantage for "cutting" the line to audition for the show.

Also, every year American Idol's ratings keep decreasing and although it is still popular, it is not nearly as popular as it once was. I think if Disney would have made this move when American Idol was in its prime (maybe season 1-3), this attraction would have been a huge hit.

I just wish the Imagineers would have thought of something else to put in the theater that will last longer than a couple of years - just something with staying power that will accommodate more people's interest than those who have singing talent and those who watch the show.

So now I'm curious about what you think! Are you excited about it or are you a bit hesitant about it as I am?

Sonny Eclipse is offline Fastpass Holder
    I agree. I wish Disney had used the money for an attraction with more staying power than this one has. I'm not excited at all about it and I can't remember the last time I said that about a new Disney attraction.

Sorria is offline Fastpass Holder
    You won't get any disagreement from me either. I wish Disney had done something else. Not only am I not personally excited about the attraction but I can't believe that this attraction would have a long lifespan at all with the way things are looking.
    Upcoming Trips to WDW:

Dec 6-10: Disney Wonder
    Dec 10-19: Port Orleans French Quarter

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    If the attraction has no staying power, then I guess we can hope for something new - sooner than later. I'm not real excited about the attraction, but I'm going to try to hold off my final opinion till I at least get to to the pass holder preview or see the attraction in action.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    I have zero interest in this attraction and I am not afraid to say it! Just as I had no interest in Millionaire.

MandaBella is offline "She who must be loved."
    Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post
    If the attraction has no staying power, then I guess we can hope for something new - sooner than later. I'm not real excited about the attraction, but I'm going to try to hold off my final opinion till I at least get to to the pass holder preview or see the attraction in action.
    I agree.

Here's another thread:
    http://www.disneyworldtrivia.com/for...ney-world.html
    Amanda
    always plotting, planning, and looking forward to our next adventure...

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    It boggles my mind that American Idol is popular at all. It's just an amateur contest, what's the big deal? It's like the very lame Star Search. I can't understand why anyone would watch 1 minute of this show let alone call a telephone number to vote for one of those morons. Clay Aiken? Seriously? Like Barry Manilow wasn't bad enough? I guess I shouldn't be surprised...Baywatch used to be popular too.

Toad's Buddy is offline Fastpass Holder
    This reminds me exactly of "Millionaire Syndrome..." Disney adds a ride about a tv show, then the show fades away in popularity...
    Have a Great, Big, Beautiful Today!

Toad's Buddy

"No more Laserdiscs for you, Grandpa!"

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!
    Agreed. I don't see this show having a long lifespan at Disney. And I can't believe they're cutting Fantasmic to 2 nights a week because of this.
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    And I can't believe they're cutting Fantasmic to 2 nights a week because of this.
    Hmm, I wonder why? What does one have to do with the other?

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Bell View Post
    I have zero interest in this attraction and I am not afraid to say it! Just as I had no interest in Millionaire.
    My thought's exactly.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!
    Hmm, I wonder why? What does one have to do with the other?
    From what I've heard, Fantasmic will be shown 2 nights a week. And the American Idol show will be the "finale show" (if you will call it that) the other 5 nights.
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder
    What does one have to do with the other?
    My thoughts exactly.

I think that the reason for the Fantasmic performance reductions is ONLY because of our terrible economy, with AIE having nothing to do with it.

And Fantasmic is a VERY high-budget show, as you all know.

As for my opinion on AIE, I don't think that it should be getting bashed so soon and that, as usual, it's still best to reserve judgement until actually going to experience it (I still hate it when purists pick on newer attractions all the time, even before actually going to experience them--a major bottleneck to the Disney fan community, IMO).

As for staying power...well, you never know--AIE might end up earning that, so please give it a chance.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site
    Quote Originally Posted by KINGCRAB View Post
    As for my opinion on AIE, I don't think that it should be getting bashed so soon and that, as usual, it's still best to reserve judgement until actually going to experience it
    That's ridiculous! I don't have to see something to know I'd hate it. If Disney opened a "Hip-Hop" land there is no chance I'd like it because I hate that genre completely. Same with Idol. I hate that too; so why would I give it a chance? I'm grown. I know my likes and dislikes by now. That advice may be good for teens who don't know themselves but I know what I like. You are so Pro-Disney you defend every decision they make and seem to support every change. Relax, it's supposed to be a forum. Others have opinions which may differ from yours. I've read some of your other posts: Stop telling everyone else how to think and feel.

KINGCRAB is offline Annual Passholder
    Quote Originally Posted by elvistelth View Post
    You are so Pro-Disney you defend every decision they make and seem to support every change.
    Nuh-uh. That's not true. I'm not as hard to please as others, but I do not defend every single thing that they do.

If I don't like something or if I do think that something is amiss, I would say so and point them out. But I only do it when it's REALLY necessary rather than do it mercilessly and without thinking like most Disney forum members seem to do.

And even if you do know what already like or dislike, you should still give whatever is new a try anyway and form your own opinions...and if you end up not liking it still, then that'll be your opinion and you're still entitled to it.
    Last edited by KINGCRAB; 11-15-2008 at 04:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast