Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Am I pathetic? in the Vacation Planning forums; I'm 13 years old, and obsessed with Walt Disney World. I've been only once, and that was just because my mother happened to have a conference in Orlando. I was ...
    reubenco is offline A-Ticket holder

Angry Am I pathetic?

I'm 13 years old, and obsessed with Walt Disney World. I've been only once, and that was just because my mother happened to have a conference in Orlando. I was 10 then. And when I was there, I barely experienced it. We were there four days, and we just went to parks, one each day. We did not even take a step anywhere else on Disney property, since we just stayed at some hotel in Orlando. My parents hardly let me have any snacks, not even signature stuff that I hear you have to try. I got to be less of a kid there than someone like Lou Mongello would be and I was a kid.

My parents just don't get it.

Cinderella2 is offline Thrilled to know there are others who sparkle!
    Don't be sad.
    At least you got to go when you were 10.

I had to wait until I was 28!!!
    And I still haven't tried a lot of the signature things either.

Keep your chin up and remember WDW isn't going anywhere!!!! You have a lifetime to make up for missed trips, just like I am trying to do.

Since my first trip I have tried to learn everything I could about WDW. There are so many neat things that will take a lifetime of trips to experience.
    So, my advice is this... read all you can, learn all you can, so that your next trip will be full of such neat experiences because you know how to really "see" Walt Disney World!
    Dreams Really Do Come True

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka
    Not at all. Just remember that its never too late to do anything! If you feel you didn't get to do some things when you were younger then just be sure to try them the next time you go. Oh, and you're only 13! You still have your childhood left to gain any experiences you want!
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!
    You just have the 3 year blahs. It comes with not getting back to WDW for too long. I was 24 before I got to DL, and 31 before I got to experience WDW for the first time. I'm lucky to have a DH who "gets it", but I can assure you that my siblings are Mother think I'm crazy. I totally agree with the two previous posts. Until you get to experience the magic again, read about various aspects of WDW and prepare yourself so you can schedule out all the things you missed the first time. By the way, I've been to a park at WDW 34 times since July 5, 2008. I'm making up for lost time. As for not seeing other parts of WDW on your previous trip, many guests don't know about other parts of the property, so that miss seeing some fun things as well. No one is expected to do it all in one visit, much less their first visit.

I'm sure cost is an issue for a family trip back to FL. Try to find ways that you can start your own fund for a trip. When your parents see how you can economize to save for a trip, they'll see how much it means to you. You still may not be able to get here for several years, but actions speak louder than words.
    Last edited by mini-V; 11-23-2008 at 04:48 PM.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

The problem is, and I mentioned this kind of in my intitial post but maybe didn't explain it enough, my parents are not Disney fans at all. They don't get what's so special about this place. I actually had quite an argument about this with my dad this morning. He knows it's important to me, but still, even if we do have the funds to go on a trip (aside from our annual Canada trip) he'll want to go anywhere else.

But you guys have been reassuring me. And I'm already preparing my application to the college program

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    The college program is a great place to start, even thought it's a little ways off for you .

If it makes you feel better, I have been to Disney World about 10 times (I have been fortunate enough to have a family that "gets it"), but have never really explored too much past the parks. It wasn't until I started poking around on these boards that I realized how much is actually housed at WDW. My sister and I have just purchased APs and we hope to get down there at least a few times in the next year to do all of the other things that Disney World has to offer.

So - keep your spirits up and try to stick it out for a few more years - it will be here before you know it!
    ~Ashleigh

disneyfanatic101 is offline Trying to Get Back Into the Swing of Things!
    You aren't pathetic! You have plenty of time to try everything there is to try! In fact, I've been there several times and I still haven't done everything!

This site will keep you up to date with things going on at the World. Take a look at the trip reports and pics while you are here also.
    Adam ~ A Proud D23 Charter Member!

Lou Mongello is offline Lou Mongello (AKQJ10) - Disney Expert, Host, Author, Speaker and Entrepreneur
    Pathetic??! PATHETIC!?!?

My friend... you are just the opposite!!

Welcome to a community of people who feel as you do. Who enjoy Walt Disney World to the point that some people feel is obsession. Who can't get enough of it. Who chose to vacation there each and every chance they get. Who post on forums and meet total "strangers" who quickly become friends because they share a common passion.

Be a kid, and always stay a kid at heart. There will come a time very soon where you can choose to go on your own with friends or to make and meet friends.

Maybe one day, instead of your parents taking you, you can take THEM.... and help them understand the "magic" that we all believe in.

You are among friends here, and hopefully this site, forum, podcast and everything else that is accessible online will bring some of that magic to your heart and home whenever you need it.

Welcome to the family, Reuben!!
    Lou Mongello
    Host, Author & Site Owner
    AKQJ10 >: 4 8 15 16 23 42

kylewhit89 is offline Annual Passholder

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Mongello View Post
    Pathetic??! PATHETIC!?!?

Welcome to a community of people who feel as you do. Who enjoy Walt Disney World to the point that some people feel is obsession. Who can't get enough of it. Who chose to vacation there each and every chance they get. Who post on forums and meet total "strangers" who quickly become friends because they share a common passion.

Be a kid, and always stay a kid at heart. There will come a time very soon where you can choose to go on your own with friends or to make and meet friends.

Maybe one day, instead of your parents taking you, you can take THEM.... and help them understand the "magic" that we all believe in.

You are among friends here, and hopefully this site, forum, podcast and everything else that is accessible online will bring some of that magic to your heart and home whenever you need it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^I'd say that above me ^^^^^^

Good explanation Lou!!
    AMEN!!!

GROUP HUG!!!
    Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things... and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths. - Walt Disney

newdrama12 is offline D-Ticket Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by reubenco View Post
    The problem is, and I mentioned this kind of in my intitial post but maybe didn't explain it enough, my parents are not Disney fans at all. They don't get what's so special about this place. I actually had quite an argument about this with my dad this morning. He knows it's important to me, but still, even if we do have the funds to go on a trip (aside from our annual Canada trip) he'll want to go anywhere else.

But you guys have been reassuring me. And I'm already preparing my application to the college program
    I was 13, before I even got to WDW and only got to go for two days, since my parents wanted to go to the beach, instead of the parks.

As for starting your application for the college program, you might want to look into the Career Start program. It is exactly like the College Program, but can be done within a year of graduating High school. You can find more info at: The Disney CareerStart Program. Most people don't know about this program, but it is exactly like the College Program.
    You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it requires people to make the dream a reality" - Walt Disney

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder
    Was thinking of an answer for you then I read Lou's post. What more can I say. Of all the things in this big, sometimes scary world, to be obsessed with you choose Disney. Good for you!
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

Wow, Lou, thanks for taking the time to answer my post. I didn't really mean pathetic for obsessing over Disney (if that made me pathetic then I think we'd all be) but I meant that I haven't gone considering my obsession. That CareerStart program looks very interesting, so thanks for that. And hopefully all the people here can keep me sane for another 5 years (gulp) until I can go myself.
    Stuck as far away from WDW as possible

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Mongello View Post
    Pathetic??! PATHETIC!?!?

Reuben,
    Lou said it so well,that I can't add hardly anything to it.However,my parents never took us to WDW! Never! I was 27 yrs old before I ever set foot on Disney property,back in 1987.I've been going every since,with the exception of a 6 yr absence from 1992-1998.This is when my wife and I began taking our two girls,then, were 4 and 7.Now,they are 14 and 17,and last year in 2007,we completed our 10th yr in a row to WDW! It was awesome! Sadly though,I lost my job this year,2008,back in April and we could not go to "the happiest place on earth",this year.But hopefully next year.
    My parents ,and even my brother and two sisters just didn't get it,for a long time also.But about 3 or 4 years ago,my mom,brother and his family went to WDW,and had a blast!My dad's health kept him at the condo,so he didn't get to go to WDW.My 26 yr old nephew went about 2 yrs ago for the first time to Epcot and he told his friend,now I see what my uncle was talking about,meaning,how awesome WDW is.My baby sister and her family finally went this year,'08 to WDW,went to Magic Kingdfom and Epcot,and Disney Quest,and had a blast! So maybe finally,my family is slowly starting to get it.But it took myself to get it all started back in 1987,and I'm glad I did.
    I grew up watching all Disney shows on tv and wanted to go to Disneyland in Ca so bad,I couldn't hardly stand it.Today,I still have not been to Disneyland.
    Anyway Reuben,be cool,continue to grow up in Disney,love it with all your heart,and know you have friends here to help in any way possible.
    Always remember....."When you wish upon a star........."
    Park Hopper Dad!

AuroraDreamer is offline A-Ticket holder
    reubenco, I know exactly how you feel. I only went once( when I was 10 ) and haven't been back. My parents absolutely refuse to take me back. I cried when I left. My parents and brother really didn't get it. They still don't get it. That's one of the reasons why they won't take me back. Well, I'm going to surprise them when I do the college program, and prove to them how magical Disney can be.

Dellzip is offline A-Ticket holder
    trust me im way older then 13 and feel the same....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast