Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Epcot Closing Early? in the Vacation Planning forums; The Walt Disney Park Calendar has Epcot closing Early on some Extra Magic Hours in January 09. Official closing time on those particular evenings is 8pm. Wonder if it is ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Epcot Closing Early?

The Walt Disney Park Calendar has Epcot closing Early on some Extra Magic Hours in January 09. Official closing time on those particular evenings
    is 8pm.

Wonder if it is just the beginning of things to come?

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Wonder if it is just the beginning of things to come?
    I don't think we've even seen how bad it could possibly get. I predict if the current economic trends continue that the people who can actually afford to take a Disney vacation will return to the pre-90's days where the parks were not even close to today's capacities during peak times and it really was a once-in-a-lifetime trip for most people.

It makes me glad I bought into the DVC. It may pay itself off if Disney is forced to raise prices instead of drop them
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    From what I understand, it's still going to be open for EMH so I really don't see what the big deal is. But then again, I always stay on property so I would have access to the park anyway.
    ~Ashleigh

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    That means an hour less for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Spodie View Post
    From what I understand, it's still going to be open for EMH so I really don't see what the big deal is. But then again, I always stay on property so I would have access to the park anyway.
    From the way I'm reading it, the EMH is not being pretty much eliminated for those who are staying on property.

Before the park stayed open an extra hour longer, but now, since they are closing the park an hour earlier for non-EMH eligible guests, the park will close at the "normal" time for those who are there for EMH
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

disneydame2004 is offline Celebrate Everyday!
    Wait, the parks normally close up to 3 hours later for evening EMH. So if Epcot is closing at 8 to day guests, it will close at 11 p.m. for resort guests.

Note that *up to* 3 hours - we may very well see that shortened in the future.

Just went to look on the WDW Calendar at disneyworld.com, and right now there are no hours available at Epcot, but they are at the other parks. So something is still being tweaked.
    -Pat (Disneydame2004)
    Dream Team Auction Coordinator

Help make a child smile! Dream Team Project Firstgiving Page

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder
    Quote Originally Posted by harra View Post
    From the way I'm reading it, the EMH is not being pretty much eliminated for those who are staying on property.

Before the park stayed open an extra hour longer, but now, since they are closing the park an hour earlier for non-EMH eligible guests, the park will close at the "normal" time for those who are there for EMH

Ah, I see it now. I didn't see it from that angle at first. Oh well, if the park closes 1 hour early, I can get back to the room 1 hour early, then I can go to bed 1 hour earlier so I can get up 1 hour earlier and be at another park 1 hour earlier. Then maybe, for once, I can see what a park looks like when it opens rather than dragging my sleepy-butt into the parks at 10:30 every morning.
    ~Ashleigh

Quote Originally Posted by disneydame2004 View Post
    Wait, the parks normally close up to 3 hours later for evening EMH. So if Epcot is closing at 8 to day guests, it will close at 11 p.m. for resort guests.

Note that *up to* 3 hours - we may very well see that shortened in the future.

Just went to look on the WDW Calendar at disneyworld.com, and right now there are no hours available at Epcot, but they are at the other parks. So something is still being tweaked.
    I'm always getting my early morning and evening extra magic hours confused. We hardly ever stay more than an hour with the evening (except at MK) so I always forget that it's 3 hours.

But still, it'll reduce the extra magic in the evening to 2 hours instead of 3 becasue the park will close at 10PM instead of 11. But, the World Showcase doesn't stay open for EMH anyway.

Maybe they've done traffic flow surveys and have found that EPCOT doesn't have the foot traffic on a Friday to warrant staying open till 11PM for EMH
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Tinker Bell is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by harra View Post
    But still, it'll reduce the extra magic in the evening to 2 hours instead of 3 becasue the park will close at 10PM instead of 11. But, the World Showcase doesn't stay open for EMH anyway.

Maybe they've done traffic flow surveys and have found that EPCOT doesn't have the foot traffic on a Friday to warrant staying open till 11PM for EMH
    As disneydame posted, if the closing time is shown as 8 then *usually* it would close at 11pm. And World Showcase is open for EMH, I was picking out a oyster in Japan's Mitsukoshi's store at close to 11pm last year. The Mexico and Norway rides are running for EMH and I would say most of the stores in WS.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker Bell View Post
    As disneydame posted, if the closing time is shown as 8 then *usually* it would close at 11pm. And World Showcase is open for EMH, I was picking out a oyster in Japan's Mitsukoshi's store at close to 11pm last year. The Mexico and Norway rides are running for EMH and I would say most of the stores in WS.
    That is so odd...we have been frequently denied access to world showcase pavilions after IllumiNations on EMH nights and were told that EMH didn't apply to World Showcase. This confused us since we were always told that as long as people are in the store, they typically stay open. But we were told that only holds true if you were alreday in the store.

Maybe we have consistently been subjected to unmagical CMs. Afterall, these instances were always in the dead slow week after Labor Day.
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???
    All Ears had additional information in their newsletter..........

Beginning Friday, January 9, and for every Friday through April
    3, Epcot's World Showcase will close at 8 p.m. Epcot will have
    Friday Evening Extra Magic Hours from 8-11 p.m. during this time
    frame.

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder
    Due to this stupid economic junk that the media is filling into everybody's mind,(some lies),with less crowds at WDW,instead of them raising prices to fill their greedy fix,maybe it will actually become the opposite.Maybe prices will actually come down in order to draw more people back.Right now,they are offering a package of 7 nights for the price of 3 or 4.So even the greedy BLANKITY-BLANKS,are realizing that they need to do something,in order to get the average incomed families back.Of course,all of those "rich-high incomed folks" won't care how much they have to pay.They will keep doing it.Which actually hurts the less-incomed families.I am now off of my soapbox.
    Park Hopper Dad!

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder
    I doubt prices would come down
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom