Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss New Boarding for Toy Story Mania in the Vacation Planning forums; When we reached the boarding area, after a 60 minute wait, we found that only 1/2 of the boarding area was being used. I asked a cast member why, and ...
    mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

New Boarding for Toy Story Mania

When we reached the boarding area, after a 60 minute wait, we found that only 1/2 of the boarding area was being used. I asked a cast member why, and the response was, "That's how we're doing it now." Somehow, I find that to be unacceptable..the answer and the actual process. The park was not busy today, yet the fast passes were all gone by 10:30 AM, and the stand-by line was 60 minutes or longer for the five hours that we were in Studios. The cue has been re-figured and there are less rows to maneuver, yet the wait times continue to be lengthy. I certainly hope this limited # of boarding rows is temporary. I dread seeing what will happen if this continues through to the busier times of the year. I was told that the change is not reflective of the latest number of layoffs since they did not affect park personnel.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

pigletfan is offline D-Ticket Holder
    That is strange! I am going tomorrow (Saturday) and I am heading straight for TSM so I will check it out.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder
    While strange, they might be experimenting with cycle time. Increased loading area may not necessarily increase throughput and they might be looking at different options. As long as the cars were not going through half-full, the number of guests put through the attraction per hour might have remained the same as a full loading area. Whatever it is, I'm sure they will get a handle on it. The company stays pretty focused on customer satisfaction.

harra is offline Fastpass Holder
    I'm wondering if this change is due to the inordinate number of children falling into the track. I have a friend who works this attraction and said they were constantly getting into trouble because parents were not keeping an eye on their kids and after disembarking they would just run into the track, which is submerged from ground level . Then they'd have to make a full stop of the attraction to extricate them.

I heard they stopped the single rider line because it actually slowed the load time down. But on the same note, I heard that Disney's own internal attraction auditors have done studies and found that the fast passes actually slow load times down....

Who knows what is up. I think I'll text my buddy and find out
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

trickster is offline Hakuna Matata!!... It means no worries!!
    Sounds weird??.... Be sure to keep us posted V on your travels!
    Rich

"Most of my life I have done what I wanted to do. I have had fun on the job.
    I have never been able to confine that fun to office hours." ~ Walt Disney

We love the ride, but one of my biggest complaints is the wait time WITH a FastPass. I think it's the worst moving line on property for FastPass holders. I don't understand why they merge FP holders with the general line at the bottom of the stairs! They should use the line up the stairs on the right for the FP holders. It's not much of a "Fast" pass.

harra, I didn't realize that they were experiencing problems with the kids falling into the tracks! What the heck are the parents doing? That is the main reason that my hubby and I enter the ride car first and then the kids next to us. That way, when we disembark from the ride we are already out of the car, taking their hand, helping them out and heading to the exit.

I've never thought of the past pass line as a "walk on" line. If the stand-by line is 60 minutes or longer, then if I only have to wait 20 minutes or less, I'd consider that a good deal. I guess if I had to pay for a fast pass like they do at the other park, I'd want a fairly swift entrance. My experience has been that the fp line only gets to be a long wait if the ride goes down. Then the cm's are playing catch-up. If kids falling into the track are making this occur often, then that could be the problem.
    If they would actually use the fast pass line to stay single till the bottom of the loading area stairs, then I'd want the back 4 loading areas for fp guests and the front 4 for stand-by. Then if no one is in the fp line, use all the boarding lanes for stand-by. This assumes that the back four will be back in use again soon.
    I'm going to have to take a look at the boarding area again because it's not clear to me how or why little kids would end up on the track. I guess I never stood around to see what the track opening was like on exiting the vehicle. Maybe kids see the route that the cars take as the exit???

pigletfan is offline D-Ticket Holder
    I never got to ride yesterday, the wait was too long all day. It was 70 minutes every time I checked. So I didn't get to see the loading area yesterday. I am going again next Saturday, so I will try again then.

Quote Originally Posted by pigletfan View Post
    I never got to ride yesterday, the wait was too long all day. It was 70 minutes every time I checked. So I didn't get to see the loading area yesterday. I am going again next Saturday, so I will try again then.
    Hope you have better luck next week.

Re: New Boarding for Toy Story Mania

I'm happy to report that all loading areas in TSM are now being utilized. There are 8 Cm's in the loading area instead of four. I can't say that the wait times are improving, since we saw 120 minutes last Sunday, but at least Disney has given up on the policy they were trying out in March. This was the first time since March that I'd been able to get on the attraction, so I don't know how long ago the change was made. Happy riding everyone!