Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Give me a reason to go back to Animal Kingdom in the Vacation Planning forums; well, this is coming from someone who feels the Safari is one of the best Disney rides there is. The animal trails in Asia and Africa are terrific as is ...
    MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Give me a reason to go back to Animal Kingdom

well, this is coming from someone who feels the Safari is one of the best Disney rides there is. The animal trails in Asia and Africa are terrific as is the exhibits surrounding the Tree of Life. Festival of the Lion King is the best stage show at WDW. period. And Dinosaur is fun.
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Cameo is offline And the voila... you've got a Figment!
    Riding my tricycle around the parking lot

Personally, I love Flame Tree BBQ. I am actually one of the lucky ones who lives in Orlando and have an annual pass. I will occasionally drive over to AK just to grab lunch there.... no rides, no shows, just lunch and then head out of the park to go on with my day. And I've seen many people mention the character trails in Camp Minnie-Mickey, but across the walkway from Flame Tree (just before the bridge to DinoLand USA, on the right) is a walkway down to a Pooh meet and greet. It's kinda hidden if you aren't paying attention, but if you follow the winding path down to the river's edge you find a dock with many of the Pooh characters. I've only been down there once, but we had all the characters to ourselves! For young kids I would definitely hit the Boneyard in DinoLand. It's a huge climbing structure playground along the lines of the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playscape at the Studios. At one end of this area you can also find a dig site where the kids can pretend to be archeologists and dig through sand to uncover fossils and such. My last piece of advice is to try to plan your visit to AK on the coolest day of your trip (if such a day exists). The foliage makes this park more humid so even a few degrees difference can help immensely.
    ~Sarah~

A dream is a wish your heart makes....

"Tom Morrow, paging Mr. Tom Morrow. Your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

MagicMom is offline C-Ticket Holder

Animal Kingdom is very hot. My family has never been to the world without a Parkhopper pass so we always go there in the mornings and early afternoon and get out by the heat of the day. We go to another park for the remainder of the day. Do the outdoor stuff first and then do the water/indoor show stuff later.

I also travel with small children (5,4,2, & 1 on our last trip in '08). The little ones liked the shows a lot. There was really not much they didn't enjoy at AK.

You might like reading allearsnet.com's descriptions of each attraction at the parks. It will help you better plan your days.

Everyone here has pointed out tons of cool stuff at AK. There isn't much at a Disney theme park that is not worth seeing. If it weren't the Head Mouse in Charge would not put his pawprint on it!

I hope your experiences in the future are much more enjoyable.

aprilhendrix9 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Thanks again, everybody, you have all definitely convinced us to try it out again. I agree that it is very hot at Animal Kingdom, I guess because of the foliage but clearly we just weren't doing or seeing the right things!!!
    This September!! . . . 2010-6 days-Animal Kingdom
    1994-1 day-Mgic Kingdom-Off Site
    1995-1 day-Magic Kingdom-Off Site
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

SevenSeasLagoon is offline E-Ticket Holder

You had said that your group didn't enjoy the Kilimanjaro Safari. I would recommend that you try it in the early morning, during a rain, or the last thing in the evening. Those times are when the animals are out and about and moving.

I would also recommend that you try an evening EMH at AK. It is really something after hours (and cooler, too)

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

We had an awesome dinner at Yak and Yeti this evening. I think we've eaten there about 3-4 times now, but for some reason, tonight's meal was super.

It is easy to lose your bearings in AK. The best advice I can offer is to study the map well before you go only so that you understand the relationship between Africa, Asia, Discovery Island, and Dinoland. It's sort of like learning the relationship between the different lands in MK. It's also a catch 22; you don't go often because you feel lost and you feel lost because you don't go often.

The Kilimanjaro Safari, the Pangani Forest Exploration Trail and the Maharajah Jungle Trek are a box of chocolates; you never know what you're going to get. The animals are not animatronics that stay put. You could ride on the safari all day long and probably not have two trips the same. I've seen giraffe's gallop behind our vehicle, elephants playing in the water, Tommie's running across the savanah....and then basically very few animals. Go early in the day, late in the day or in the rain.

Flame Tree is awesome. I avoided it for years because I thought it was a type of pulled pork/chicken barbecue. Not at all! It's meat cooked over an open pit fire type of taste. And the onion rings??? yummy!!!

I don't really recommend It's Tough to be A Bug for small children. It's pretty scary. In fact, we a room FULL of screaming toddlers today. I do love it, though. It's cute.

More family friendly programs are Nemo the Musical, The Boneyard, Flights of Wonder, and the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

KrisL418 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by lilo88 View Post
    Hot days feel like even hotter days in AK because of all the plants. Or at least it seems that way
    thats funny, my whole family says that it's hotter there. i dont know why but i actually find it cooler at AK, maybe because of the shade?
    ~Pop Century~Sept '06~
    ~Boardwalk~Aug '07~
    ~Pop Century~Aug '08~

<3 Stitch!

College Program Wanna Be 2011

FreddyGee is offline A-Ticket holder

This park is really getting better. The best upgrade since the opening wasn't Everest, it was air conditioning. When this place opened it was like a jungle.

They do need to create some stand out landmarks. Everything blends too well actually and looks too much the same and when I'm not paying close attention I miss my turn. Hard to know your bearings especially with the tree looking the same from all sidewalks around it.

They have added a lot from the opening. DHS had that same problem when they opened. It too was a half day experience at opening.

aprilhendrix9 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by mini-V View Post

It is easy to lose your bearings in AK. The best advice I can offer is to study the map well before you go only so that you understand the relationship between Africa, Asia, Discovery Island, and Dinoland. It's sort of like learning the relationship between the different lands in MK. It's also a catch 22; you don't go often because you feel lost and you feel lost because you don't go often.

You are exactly right. I had been to Magic Kingdom a couple of times before so I was familiar with it. My husband used to go to Disney World every year as a kid from about 8-16 so he knew MK like the back of his hand (as far as the layout). HS and Epcot are easy to navigate around because of the huge magician's hat and the big space ball but with the foliage of MK, we found it hard to have a landmark.

You have all convinced me, though, that there is definitely more to see and do at AK so we will go at it again with an open mind!!
    This September!! . . . 2010-6 days-Animal Kingdom
    1994-1 day-Mgic Kingdom-Off Site
    1995-1 day-Magic Kingdom-Off Site
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

I know I'm not the only one that feels this way,but if Animal Kingdom had never been built,it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all.I think Disney does make a lot of mistakes,when it comes to competing with other parks that may be themed different than Disney.Now don't get me wrong,I love Disney.I grew up watching all of the Disney tv shows in the 60's and 70's.My family and I have been to WDW 10 yrs in a row until '08 when I was laid off from my job.So I am a Disney lover.But things changed after Walt died.
    I will concentrate my opinion solely on the parks.
    It seems to me,that Disney wants to be the "big boss of all" in the theme park and resort world!In other words,nobody else should count,just us,Disney! Come to our parks,stay in our resorts,never leave our property until you leave to go home!That's the attitude that I feel they have.A new generation of "those in charge" has come to power and they are from the GREED generation!It's all about money these days.I really don't feel that things would be the way they are,if Walt had been born later on and was still alive today and running HIS company.
    But I said all that to reiterate,that I really wish that Animal Kingdom would have been themed in a totally different idea than a "glorified zoo".Because that is all it is;a Disney-ised version of a zoo!With an extremely small amount of rides thrown in,to cause people to spend nearly $100 a ticket to go in to this "glorified zoo" just to ride the "less than a handful " of rides there.
    Let's be truthful.Not all, but most people want thrill rides or "Magic Kingdom type" rides to enjoy on a vacation.Have some fun,have a thrill,ride a ride,enjoy your vacation! We also like Epcot and Disney/Hollywood studios type theme parks as well.But Disney should have left the zoo type parks to Seaworld and Busch Gardens,a corporation that has been doing animal-based parks since their existence.
    They could have come up with and created a much better theme park than they did with AK.We've been there about 3 or 4 times and it's ok,I do love the thrill rides there,Everest and dinosaur,plus the two in dinoland;I can't remember the names.But that's it.The rest is all secondary.Shows mainly.
    But I know how April feels.It felt like that for us on our first time there.But we did go back a few more times though.Now will we go back to AK again?At this time,I am not sure;probably will,because I do want to ride Everest again.But if it wasn't for that,probably not.My favorite park is Epcot.
    Park Hopper Dad!

M&M's is offline A-Ticket holder

When you are there, just take note of all the sensory items. Most notably the music, but also the ambient sounds and the outstanding attention to detail on EVERYTHING. They really outdid themselves with this park as far as that is concerned.
    Me & my beautiful daughter!
    3 Trips as a yoot w/the Fam (Years ??); June '98 - HS Graduation - AS Sport; May '05 - Honeymoon! - CBR
    Sept '06 - (Late) 1 Yr. Anniversary - POP; October '08 - 1st Family Trip! - AKV

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Park Hopper Dad View Post
    I Let's be truthful.Not all, but most people want thrill rides or "Magic Kingdom type" rides to enjoy on a vacation.Have some fun,have a thrill,ride a ride,enjoy your vacation! We also like Epcot and Disney/Hollywood studios type theme parks as well.
    I would love to see the Little Mermaid dark ride put by the Nemo show.

And, DHS has a lot of problems as a park. I feel its the worst of the bunch
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom

Disney2000 is offline Fastpass Holder

Yes, Animal Kingdom is easy to get bad impressions on. It can be confusing with all of the overgrown vegetation and winding paths. It also seems to be hotter than the other parks. Save the AK for your coolest day. Use your guide map and don't be scared to ask directions!!! Definately visit Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids, Dinosaur, and other attractions early in the day, or right before park closing. Definately do NOT miss finding nemo the musical, the festival of the lion king, or the dig site in dinoland. For your kids, triceratop spin will be fun. Make sure to explore the different trails they have, and take the other's advice about the times for the safari.

Make sure you ride Dinosaur without the kids, it freaks out the toughest of adults. They aren't real...... BUT THEY ARE :ooooooo!!!!!
    The Golden age never was the present age… but with human liberty we can fulfill the promise and meaning of America. To everyone a chance. To all people, regardless of their birth the right to live, to work, to be themselves, and to become whatever their visions can combine to make them. This is the promise of America...And I foresee the American adventure to continue for a long, long time!
    ~The American Adventure, EPCOT Center

Are you 23? I am!

J&J
    J&J is offline E-Ticket Holder

this park is also our least favorite.
    J&J

Brent is offline B-Ticket Holder

Flights of Wonder is quite an underestimated show/attraction. The birds and the cast members put on a great show. Maybe the best WDW has to offer!?!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast