Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Give me a reason to go back to Animal Kingdom in the Vacation Planning forums; I know this is going to shock some of you out there but please give us a reason to go back to Animal Kingdom! Please forgive me for not knowing ...
    aprilhendrix9 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Give me a reason to go back to Animal Kingdom

I know this is going to shock some of you out there but please give us a reason to go back to Animal Kingdom! Please forgive me for not knowing all of the proper names and terms for the rides. Other than Expedition Everest, the best ride ever as far as I'm concerned, we did not enjoy Animal Kingdom at all. I thought the Tree of Life area was really cool but that was about it.

We felt very lost in this park, like we couldn't get our bearings or something. It felt like we spent most of the time we were there walking around in circles. We found it difficult to find a place to eat, as well. Maybe we were just having an "off" day or something.

Positives--Expedition Everest, Tree of Life, the little walk way over into Africa (I believe) where the street muscians were playing

We didn't really care for the Safari and we were following the crowd and ended up on the educational tour. This would have been fine but we had 2 small children who could have cared less and the walkways were very narrow for a stroller.

Please give us some ideas on other rides that we can either do as a family (5 years and 2 years) or that my husband and I can do invidually (such as Everest--which I will go by myself just to ride again).

Thanks!
    This September!! . . . 2010-6 days-Animal Kingdom
    1994-1 day-Mgic Kingdom-Off Site
    1995-1 day-Magic Kingdom-Off Site
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

disneygal83 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Give me a reason to go back to Animal Kingdom

I recommend Finding Nemo: the Musical. It is absolutely fantastic. The music is brilliantly written, the performers are always fantastic. I always make a point to see that when I go. I also recommend for dinner the Yak and Yeti restaurant. I went for the first time last November and had the best time. The food is delicious.
    Have a Magical Day
    July 9 - Disney Land/Sea Vacation aboard the Disney Wonder
    December 29 - Christmas Vacation at the World. New Year's Eve at Hollywood Studios

Awesome, thanks! I will keep notes on all of the tips I get here.
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

There are some rides for smaller kids in Dino Land USA. There is a dig site where kids can dig in the sand and run around. Dinosaur would be a ride for you and your husband. And Rain Forest Cafe would be a nice dinner or lunch. Did you see "It's a bugs life" while you were in the tree of life area? Camp Minnie Mickey has some characters and some other things back there, I have never gone in myself but I heard it's nice. The train over to the conservation station, animals and exhibits on how to save the animals and rain forest. It's been awhile since I been in that area.
    AK has never been a favorite of mine either but I continue to go.

Hope some of the tips help you out!
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

Quote Originally Posted by lilo88 View Post
    There are some rides for smaller kids in Dino Land USA. There is a dig site where kids can dig in the sand and run around. Dinosaur would be a ride for you and your husband. And Rain Forest Cafe would be a nice dinner or lunch. Did you see "It's a bugs life" while you were in the tree of life area? Camp Minnie Mickey has some characters and some other things back there, I have never gone in myself but I heard it's nice. The train over to the conservation station, animals and exhibits on how to save the animals and rain forest. It's been awhile since I been in that area.
    AK has never been a favorite of mine either but I continue to go.

Hope some of the tips help you out!
    Thanks. Actually, I remember thinking about going to It's A Bug's Life but for some reason we didn't. We will definitely check out Dinosaur. I will say that while we were there we went down to where all of the characters were and that was great. Pretty much every character was back there and had their own little stations.

I didn't know about a train so that may be something to check out.
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

I agree with Nemo: The Musical. Great show! Plus there is more to Dinoland. Did you try the Kali River Rapids? With kids, you might want to plan for another change of clothes. I would also plan ahead and try to get in to Yak and Yeti for lunch. We also enjoyed Flame Tree BBQ. We honestly have never tried the character area but I do know of a lot of people who like it. If you go to Tree of life and get in line for It's Tough to be a Bug, the carvings on the tree are awesome and you get to see more up close! I would suggest sitting nearer to the back with young ones though.

Thumper10 is offline Missing Main Street...

I think you should definitely go back and give it another shot. My family wasn't really impressed with our first trip to AK either, but now we love it. I would definitely recommend It's Tough to be a Bug in the Tree of Life. Dinosaur is also a family favorite for us. Back in Camp Minnie Mickey they have the Festival of the Lion King show...I LOVE this show. I'd say it's definitely something that your whole family will enjoy. I know you mentioned not being too impressed with the safari, when did you go on it? The animals are most active in the early morning and we've had some great safari experiences then. If you're up for giving it another shot, I'd say check it out right when you get to the park. Kali River Rapids is a lot of fun as long as the weather is nice and you don't mind getting wet. Like someone mentioned above, you may want to bring the kids a change of clothes if it isn't hot enough to air dry out quickly. I really hope you have a better experience the second time around.
    -Amanda

When you believe in a thing, believe in it all the way, implicitly and unquestionable.
    -Walt Disney

TTAfanatic is offline E-Ticket Holder

I would definitely find a good touring plan over at touringplans.com.

2001 - Caribbean Beach
    2008 - Pop Century
    2010 - Port Orleans Riverside

www.twitter.com/nickphillips97

I proudly support The FairTax!
    www.FairTax.org

nicks10 is offline @nick_straka

Finding Nemo the Musical, Festival of the Lion King, It's Tough to Be a Bug, Kali River Rapids, Maharaja Jungle Trek, Dinosaur, and just atmosphere and the overgrown landscaping!
    -Nick

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy"

Quote Originally Posted by TTAfanatic View Post
    I would definitely find a good touring plan over at touringplans.com.

We used the touring plans for our last trip. What they had on there, though, just didn't appeal to my family, I guess. Like I said, it was really hot that day and maybe we were just "off" but none of us liked it very much.

We will definitely try It's A Bug's Life, the Rapids, Dinosaur, the train and Lion King next time, though. As you can see, we really didn't do a whole lot. We had a hard time finding stuff and we felt like we were just walking aimlessly around.

It already sounds like an entire different trip! The conservation stuff just didn't interest my kids, yet. I think when they are older they may like it more.
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

lilo88 is offline DisneyWorldTrivia.com Lifetime Pass

Hot days feel like even hotter days in AK because of all the plants. Or at least it seems that way
    Tiffany~o ~ D23 member

Sufferer of Disney Vacation Depression

97'~French Quarter, 99'~CBR, 01'~Movies, 03'~Music/PORriverside/DCL, 05'~POP, 06'~Movies, 08'~Movies, 09'~Disneyland/ Embassy Suites Irvine/ 10'~Music, 12'~LBV Best Western Disney View

disneyscrapper is offline B-Ticket Holder

Festival of the Lion King is something we have to do every time we go. It's Tough to be a Bug is a tricky one. We first took our kids when they were four and two and had to leave half way through. It can get a little intense for little ones especially if they don't like the dark. Now 5 years later they love it. Triceratops Spin is good for little ones, just like Dumbo but with dinosaurs. Camp Minnie Mickey is a great place to meet characters and if I remember correctly (my mind is a little fuzzy on this one) I think the trails are at least partially shaded. Finding Nemo the Musical was okay but it was a good way to get out of the heat for awhile and both my boys loved that show. All in all we love the Animal Kingdom so if you try it again I hope the experience will be better for you the second time around.

Thanks! We were going to do Festival of the Lion King but the show had just started and I believe it was going to be another hour and half or so until the next viewing.

You guys have definitely inspired me and we will definitely give it another try!
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

disney-akj is offline B-Ticket Holder

We love Donald's Safari Breakfast at Tusker House. Another favorite is Mickey Jammin' Jungle Parade. My kids like that parade so much and the characters really seem to interact with the crowd. A horse CM actually walked up to my daughter and took her long lollipop stick out of her hand. She then held it to her forehead and said "Look I am an unicorn" Kali Rapids is my daughter's favorite. Animal Kingdom tends to clear out closer to closing time and we got to stay on Kali Rapids four times in a row without getting off. Of course we were soaked, but my daughter thought it was the best thing. She still talks about that everyday.
    Michelle

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder

Do not miss the festival of the lion king. Like others have said we always have to make time for it.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast