Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Fastpass question in the Vacation Planning forums; I'm sure I could probably search and come up with the answer here or somewhere else but you'll have to forgive my laziness as I rely on everyone else for ...
    brentbrit is offline A-Ticket holder

Fastpass question

I'm sure I could probably search and come up with the answer here or somewhere else but you'll have to forgive my laziness as I rely on everyone else for their knowledge.

With Fastpass I've heard that you can get one for each person "per two hours" I just want to understand if that means one FP anywhere per two hours, or does that mean one FP to THAT ATTRACTION every two hours?

So basically can you go to every attraction you want to go on and grab a FP and plan your day around that? Or do you just have to pick the attraction you most want to experience and grab a FP?

Hopefully this makes sense and doesn't make me sound like too much of a goof.

Just a few more days til our trip and I'm trying to figure everything out...having gone in mid September on our last trip there wasn't a line for ANYTHING and now with it being mid March we're expecting a bit more traffic.

aprilhendrix9 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Fastpass question

If I remember correctly, it is 1FP per ride. I seem to remember having a FP to Test Track and Soarin, too.
    This September!! . . . 2010-6 days-Animal Kingdom
    1994-1 day-Mgic Kingdom-Off Site
    1995-1 day-Magic Kingdom-Off Site
    2008-5 days-Polynesian

Spodie is offline Fastpass Holder

There's no limit to how many passes you get per ride/per day, but there are some restrictions. Obviously, when you get your first FP of the day, you will see a time at the bottom when you can get your next one. If you arrive early enough to a park and get a FP right away, the time frame when you can come back is typically less than 2 hours away (with some exceptions, of course). However, the later the time of day, the more likely you will have to wait 2 hours to get your next pass.

Example: You get a FP for Splash Mountain in the morning at 9:10. The time that you can come back says 9:45. Therefore, you can get another FP for any ride in the park (including Splash Mountain) at 9:45.

Another example: You get a FP for Toy Story Mania in the morning at 9:10. The time that you can come back reads 11:50. Therefore you can get another FP for any ride 2 hours later, at 11:10.

Hope this answers your question!
    Last edited by Spodie; 03-14-2009 at 11:27 AM.
    ~Ashleigh

disney-akj is offline B-Ticket Holder

Fast passes do run out and no more are available on that day. So I would suggest getting fast passes at the beginning of the day for the more popular rides that you want to ride or they might be out (or you might get a really late time in the day which can be bad if you plan on park hopping or have dinner reservations). This happened to us several times with Soarin and Toy Story Mania. We actually get to a park when it opens and send daddy with everyone's park card to get fast passes for everyone first thing. (We love Soarin so much, we usually fast pass and ride it both first thing in the morning so we get to ride it twice without a long wait either time)
    Michelle

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

I've got fairly extensive details (and pictures) on how to use Fastpass and restrictions on my web site linked below, but as far as your questions go the PPs have got it generally right. ALWAYS look at the bottom of the Fastpass for the time you can get another Fastpass. That applies to ALL Fastpass attractions - you can only get one per active park ticket at a time, and each time you have to wait until the time at the bottom before you get another.

There are occasional exceptions to the "return time or two hours" rule - and I've heard that at less busy times they may be adjusting that two hour window down a bit.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

brentbrit is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks everyone! I get it now!

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder

The official rule is that you can have one pending FP at any given time. That means that if you get a FP that is open from, say, 10AM-11AM, then you are allowed to get another FP for any ride beginning at 10:05AM, when your first FP is no longer pending.

Think of the 2 hour thing as sort of an exception to the rule. If you get a FP for something very popular, like for example Space Mountain, you may end up with a return window that is several hours after you get your FP. In that case, you are allowed to have a second FP after 2 hours, even though your Space Mountain FP is still pending.

Every FP has printed on it the time at which you can get another FP, and you will notice that that time is always either five minutes after the FP you just got opens, or 2 hours after that FP was issued, whichever comes first.

A couple of general tips that seem obvious but that many people nevertheless don't seem to follow:

1. Your FP has a window of time on it - in the first example, 10-11. There's nothing to be gained by showing up at 9:50 and waiting for you FP to open. There's no reason at all not to show up at 10:30 or even 11:00. I'm always amazed at the crowds of people standing around, clogging up the FP return lines on certain rides, waiting for their FPs to open. You may as well stand on the standby line if you're going to do that. Besides not being beneficial to the FP holder, it is frustrating for the cast members and for all the holders of FPs that have already opened who are trying to get to the FP line.

2. Building on tip number 1, always get your next FP before using the one you have. In the example above, you'll maximize your benefit from the FP system if you wait til 10:05 and get your next FP for some other ride before using your 10:00 FP. Your 10:00 FP will not expire til 11:00 (and as a practical matter, I've never been denied access even with a FP that has "expired").

Hope this helps.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tizzo View Post
    The official rule is that you can have one pending FP at any given time. That means that if you get a FP that is open from, say, 10AM-11AM, then you are allowed to get another FP for any ride beginning at 10:05AM, when your first FP is no longer pending.

Think of the 2 hour thing as sort of an exception to the rule....
    I think to word it this way is confusing.

There is no "one pending Fastpass" rule. The rule is you can get another Fastpass when they say you can get another Fastpass, which is printed on the bottom of the ticket. Disney can change what time that is whenever they want. Disney has no idea if you have actually used a Fastpass or not (at least currently), so they have no idea if you have a pending Fastpass.

The current "rule of thumb" is the "opening of the return window or two hours, whichever is sooner". Disney has been known to play around with that two hour limit at times - and I believe at Disneyland it is usually one hour.

Also, there usually isn't a 5 minute difference between the return window and when you can get another FP...if you see the image on my site, I got a FP for RNRC at 4:27pm, with a return time of 6:20pm, and a next Fastpass time of 6:20pm.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator

J&J
    J&J is offline E-Ticket Holder

you can only get a fastpass outside that ride only.
    J&J

Quote Originally Posted by J&J View Post
    you can only get a fastpass outside that ride only.
    I'm afraid I don't understand what you are stating here...
    Doc

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I have some fast passes that are a couple of years old...would they be honored?

Quote Originally Posted by elvistelth View Post
    I have some fast passes that are a couple of years old...would they be honored?
    Nope. you cannot use them past the date they were issued.
    Doc

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I'm going to try anyway. It would be fun getting "busted" and seeing the reaction of the ticket taker when they notice the fast passes are from 2007.