Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Kinda annoyed. in the Vacation Planning forums; The new slogan for the parks should be "year of a million rules". I feel like I'm in a Six Flags park the last two time I've been to Disney ...
    pranker51502 is offline Annual Passholder

Kinda annoyed.

The new slogan for the parks should be "year of a million rules". I feel like I'm in a Six Flags park the last two time I've been to Disney World. I've been to Disney World alot and have never heard cast members literally yell at people in line. I don't remember as many things as I once had because my schedule is hectic and this has kinda been brewing but, one I do recall is sitting on the hand rails. That's a HUGE thing at Six Flags, they come over the intercom every 5 seconds, which Disney has now adopted, and I've NEVER heard it at Disney World until my past two trips. Maybe it's because they were really busy, or whatever, but it's kind of rediculous. I don't want to be standing in line, enjoying the music, and the que, and then hear, "PLEASE DO NOT SIT OR STAND ON THE HAND RAILS" often. This wasn't just one ride, not one park, it was everywhere. Just from what I've experienced over an 11 year span 'UnDisney like'.

Just kind of a rant. I understand all the saftey reasons they do it and all that, but why are they just now starting to enforce it so. If anything I'd expect Disney to have people in the line, instead of a loud obnoxious intercom.

Annual Passholder: '06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Kinda annoyed.

I'm sorry?
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I don't recall big announcements on any of our other trips, but I have seen cast members ask people not to sit on the hand rails. Everyone seemed to comply, even the non-English speakers. I just wish they would watch more for the line jumpers.

Mrs Potts is offline D-Ticket Holder

In 2005, we were waiting for the bus to go back to our resort for the evening when a young man (about 10 maybe 12 years old) fell off the rail. Blood literally sprayed the crowd when his head hit the pavement. It was the first time I ever saw an ambulance at WDW in action! Everything came to a grinding halt - ALL buses in that section stopped for about 20 - 25 minutes. (That doesn't sound long, but when you're exhausted it's like an eternity.)
    Disney Dreamin'

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

I understand the need to ask guests not to sit on the rails. Ask being the operative word. If they have gone to canned announcements it will break the magic. Day after day, attraction after attraction, I might want to, well Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. After 2 hours in the airport of suspicious people, packages, abandon suitcases I kinda want to cut the wire to the speaker.

Some areas have chains, ropes or webbed cable to form waiting areas.
    Everest has created a wall system as does Pirates and Splash. I'd rather Disney be more imaginative than canned, repetitive announcements.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

harra is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I'd rather Disney be more imaginative than canned, repetitive announcements.
    With the current environment that some cast members are calling a bloodbath going on where salaried and hourly employees are being let go left and right, I expect to see more of these type measures being taken when they have to do more things with less people.

I'm really expecting quality to take a real tank before things get better
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

rock_doctor is offline A-Ticket holder

I do remember they saying it a few times but i wonder if it is more of a money issue. Standing or sitting on the railings means at some point they will need to be repaired or painted.
    Last edited by rock_doctor; 03-27-2009 at 04:51 PM.

jaredkari is offline A-Ticket holder

I too have noticed a lot more bad behavior around the parks. Maybe a sign of the times???

Stitch is offline Blogger, Artist, Creative Genius

I'm more annoyed that people keep siting on handrails more than the announcements asking them not to. Wouldn't need the announcements if people were more respectful of other people and paid attention to what their kids were doing.

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

I haven't heard the announcements, but I, too, won't be surprised if less personal contact comes to pass as more cuts in personnel are made all around. Apparently more and more guests aren't smart enough to keep their family members from climbing on walls and railings where a fall could result in a trip to the emergency room. (I look at what guests have done to TSM in a years time and am disappointed in the amount items in the cue that has been scratched and marred. I bet these same parents wouldn't let their kids walk on their good furniture at home. Then again, maybe they do.) If the announcements are annoying, think how annoyed you may be to get caught up in someone falling...on you...and YOU end up in the emergency room. It will annoy me a lot more to hear the announcement and then see people ignore it. I've seen people been asked politely by a cast member to move off of unsafe areas...and by the time the cast member has a chance to more on....the guest is right back up where they were asked to leave.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

LockShockBarrel is offline C-Ticket Holder

I agree that it would ruin the magic to hear "please keep your butts off the rails" played over and over, but at the same time i have to say i wouldn't mind them being more strict on this kind of thing. i understand people are tired and kids get bored in line, but i can't count the number of times i've seen kids fall off the rails, or bump into people as they swing around. and as for adults, i'll just say i don't need your butt hanging over the rail into the other side of the line where i'm standing.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by harra View Post

I'm really expecting quality to take a real tank before things get better
    I so agree. It is a fine line. My DS who did his stint CM'ing found some of the behind the scene CM's to be a pain in the toshie missing some of the points of leading by example and following the posted CM rules. The bloodbath maybe a way of moving out the less desirable ones and the $$ of pork instead of the true worker bee's. All and all I think Disney is a bit like the pricing of the housing market, got very overpriced and needs a bit of a reality check. Their attendance is demonstrating that reality.

Quote Originally Posted by Stitch View Post
    I'm more annoyed that people keep siting on handrails more than the announcements asking them not to. Wouldn't need the announcements if people were more respectful of other people and paid attention to what their kids were doing.
    And if they are not listening to a human they sure are not going to listen to canned instructions. I actually have not found as many children sitting atop the rails as adults. Their big tooshies hanging over into the next section of the narrow line, most annoying. I didn't even want my kids touching the rails, a bit germ-a-phobic I am.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder

I have to echo those who are more annoyed by the guests whose behavior necessitates the announcements than Disney for making the announcements to begin with. It is usually (but not always) children who are engaging in unsafe or annoying behavior, as you would expect. What seems new to me, however, is the almost universal disregard by parents for their kids behavior. Just about every time I see a kid either kick someone because they're swinging on the rails, or fall and hurt themselves, I also see a parent with their backs turned, talking on their cell phones, or in many cases even watching and willfully declining to correct the behavior of their children.

It also must be kept in mind that in this country, on probably a weekly basis, one party sues another, and often prevails, because they were injured doing something of their own free will. Think McDonald's and others having to print "contents are hot" on their coffee cups.

So while I understand your frustration, I think it is misdirected.

pranker51502 is offline Annual Passholder

It's hard to understand if you didn't experience it first hand. The other day was fine, no announcements. Believe me I dislike the guest doing the bad things way more than Disney trying to correct it. But the way the handle some things just aren't the best such as they use to.

Annual Passholder: '06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11

Jujube is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by tizzo View Post
    I have to echo those who are more annoyed by the guests whose behavior necessitates the announcements than Disney for making the announcements to begin with. It is usually (but not always) children who are engaging in unsafe or annoying behavior, as you would expect. What seems new to me, however, is the almost universal disregard by parents for their kids behavior. Just about every time I see a kid either kick someone because they're swinging on the rails, or fall and hurt themselves, I also see a parent with their backs turned, talking on their cell phones, or in many cases even watching and willfully declining to correct the behavior of their children.

It also must be kept in mind that in this country, on probably a weekly basis, one party sues another, and often prevails, because they were injured doing something of their own free will. Think McDonald's and others having to print "contents are hot" on their coffee cups.

So while I understand your frustration, I think it is misdirected.
    I totally agree!! It frustrates me the amount of parents who pay no attention to their children or who refuse to reign them in!! When I was there in March a large group with many children and maybe 4 adults were eating in the same area that we were at Chef Mickey's and since the children were finished eating they thought it was a good idea to allow the children free reign of the dining area!!! They ran in between tables and kept the characters busy for longer than necessary (which happened to be the only time the adults paid any attention to the children!!). I was appalled at the behavior and could tell that the CM's were frazzled (in fact our original server handed us over to another server because she was dealing with this table!), however the parents acted like they had every right to allow their children to run all over the place and bother the other diners!

The sad thing is that this really is what this world has come to! Parents who are scared to discipline, work too much and don't spend time with their children to know how they would act in public, and/or who don't really care how their children act!! It does also have a lot to do with the fact that many adults don't care to follow the rules either! UGH!!

Frankly, I would have to say that the lack of respect for the parks and CM's bothers me more than canned announcements to keep your backsides off the railings!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast