Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Swine Flu and WDW in the Vacation Planning forums; Last night and this morning, my wife and I were wondering about WDW and the whole Swine Flu pandemic. We are heading to WDW on 5/23 and were wondering if ...
    j_scott_o is offline B-Ticket Holder

Swine Flu and WDW

Last night and this morning, my wife and I were wondering about WDW and the whole Swine Flu pandemic. We are heading to WDW on 5/23 and were wondering if the park was going to be impacted and if any precautions or anything are being taken. Anyway, I'm not really too concerned about it, but, just cautious. However, I just now heard on Fox News that a confirmed case has been reported in Orlando. Apparently, a visitor from Mexico visited WDW this past week and they have confirmed this person had Swine Flu. So, it will be interesting to see what comes of this. I just hope this whole thing goes away, and fast, and without any more fatalities.

Scott
    Last edited by j_scott_o; 04-28-2009 at 11:21 AM.

Disnyfan83 is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Swine Flu and WDW

I wouldn't get too worried by all of this - but, if I were going down right now, I would take a few precautions.

These are just a few tips that I suggest to my travel clients:
    *Be sure to have travel sized hand sanitizer in your purse/bag.
    *Bring the travel size package of Clorox clean up wipes to wipe down your hotel room. I daily take a wipe and swab doorknobs, handles, faucets, phone and the remote control - it just takes a second (and it seems, whenever I don't do this... I catch a cold!!).
    *Remember to wash your hands (or use sanitizer) before you eat anything (not just your sit down meals!)
    *In fact - whenever you see a sink.... just go ahead and wash your hands!!!
    *Keep your immune system up by taking vitamin C and B vitamins (I don't go anywhere without Emergen-C packets and Airborne!)
    *Remind your kids to KEEP THEIR HANDS OUT OF THEIR MOUTHS!!!!

You're going to have the best time!!! Relax and enjoy!
    Leslie Henson
    leslieH@mei-travel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

Old Magic Kingdom Tour Guides never retire -- we still tell people where to go and what to do!

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

I was surprised at your post since the local channel I was listening to just a few minutes ago said there were no confirmed cases of swine flu in FL. I did real on the Orlando Sentinel site that the media are reporting the case you mentioned, but that the CDCP was still saying no confirmed cases in FL.

I doubt Disney will do anything particular. The best prevention is the same as it always is....wash your hands often.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

j_scott_o is offline B-Ticket Holder

DisneyFan83, those are great tips. Especially about taking Clorox wipes and hitting the door handles, etc. Great tips. I'm not really worried, but, as you said, want to be cautious. Having 4 kids between ages 2 and 9 is what worries me, especially the younger two. We went over again today the importance of washing your hands...a lot. And, keeping your hands out of your mouth.

mini-v, yeah, I just heard on FNC that the CDC had not yet confirmed it. FNC is trying to get a confirmation on it. I guess my real concern is this:

1. Is WDW going to do anything that might hamper the magic experience.
    2. Is my wife and/or in-laws going to be overly paranoid and not want to go (my main worry).

This is a month out, so, I'm banking on all this to be over by then.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

On the plus side, Cancun and Cozumel are offering great deals right now and both were claiming as of two days ago to be swine fly free. Don't know if the drug wars are taking place there as well, so it might be dangerous even without the flu.

PlutoGirl is offline C-Ticket Holder

Just a note too...it isn't yet at pandemic status. As of midday today it was only a level 4 alert and while concerning isn't quite to the status of pandemic (level 6).

Hopefully it won't progress to pandemic status at all. I think the common sense tips other posters have mentioned are good ones too.
    Disney Lover and Mom of 2 little guys (ages 4 and 2)
    Royal Plaza '84, P.O Fr. Qtr '93, Off-site Honeymoon 2003, Off-site 2007(first visit for boys), CR/FW Cabin January 2009, planning FW Cabin May 2010 now...

wdwfan1313 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by j_scott_o View Post
    Last night and this morning, my wife and I were wondering about WDW and the whole Swine Flu pandemic. We are heading to WDW on 5/23 and were wondering if the park was going to be impacted and if any precautions or anything are being taken. Anyway, I'm not really too concerned about it, but, just cautious. However, I just now heard on Fox News that a confirmed case has been reported in Orlando. Apparently, a visitor from Mexico visited WDW this past week and they have confirmed this person had Swine Flu. So, it will be interesting to see what comes of this. I just hope this whole thing goes away, and fast, and without any more fatalities.

Scott
    At last check both Orange county and Disney have not confirmed this report. Let's hope it stays that way.

tizzo is offline E-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by j_scott_o View Post

Scott
    Last I heard, local news here is reporting that the Orlando hospital that had originally confirmed the case has since denied the confirmation. So it seems that the original report may have been a false alarm.

More generally, while I haven't dug too deeply, as far as I can tell the Swine Flu is no more serious than, and indeed is supposedly a bit milder than, the regular flu. The reason for the concern is that just like the regular flu, it can be dangerous for certain people like the elderly, infants, and those with weakened immune systems.

In other words, while people unfortunately have and probably will die, just as happens every flu season, it's not like the plague or anything, and there's no reason to panic. Just take the same precautions you would during flu season.

I have seen conflicting reports on swine flu at WDW or Orlando. We are still planning our June trip.

The San Angel Inn at Epcot's Mexico is closing for refurb on May 10th. Hopefully, this will not feed rumors about swine flu.

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    The San Angel Inn at Epcot's Mexico is closing for refurb on May 10th. Hopefully, this will not feed rumors about swine flu.
    That refurbishment is just laced with irony isn't it!

Yes, it is. I'm waiting to see if Piglet gets pulled from the crew at Crystal Palace, ha-ha.

GUNMETALSCION is offline B-Ticket Holder

this is just the flavor of the week ....west nile , scars, the new and improved staff, equstrian insefilitis, bird flu.... remember these we don't hear anything about these any more the media finds a new story and then they run with it and run and run until it either amounts to something or people loose intrest ....people still die of rabies but thats no story ...just my two cents....

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    Yes, it is. I'm waiting to see if Piglet gets pulled from the crew at Crystal Palace, ha-ha.
    Best laugh I've had in a while!

Northern IL-went from 0 to 9 in a day of probable cases. It takes days to confirm the cases. Betting that is what Orlando is waiting for too.

AP said this morning the confirmed cases in Mexico went from 168 probable deaths down to 8 when confirmed. Shows you need confirmation.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

harra is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Northern IL-went from 0 to 9 in a day of probable cases. It takes days to confirm the cases. Betting that is what Orlando is waiting for too.

AP said this morning the confirmed cases in Mexico went from 168 probable deaths down to 8 when confirmed. Shows you need confirmation.
    If it wasn't for the media's need to sensationalize the story, those cases wouldn't have been reported until they were confirmed.

I think it serves no purpose to report on "probable cases". I read that out of the over 1000 cases in Mexico, once confirmed it went down to a few dozen.
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast