Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Question for Parents!! in the Vacation Planning forums; (Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum. I honestly debated quite a while where to put this, but figured the Theme Parks area might be best.) I am ...
    CaribbeanMouse is offline A-Ticket holder

Question for Parents!!

(Forgive me if this is in the wrong forum. I honestly debated quite a while where to put this, but figured the Theme Parks area might be best.)

I am probably heading down to WDW in the next few weeks, and had a thought to pack a bunch of stickers to give away to kids. I suppose my question would be, is this a good idea at all? And if so, what would YOU as a parent prefer someone offering your kid a sticker to ask? Somehow, I doubt suddenly rummaging in a bag and offering your child something without your permission would be a good idea.
    Thanks for your time!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Somehow I can't believe there are many heights that can't be scaled by a man who knows the secret of making dreams come true. This special secret, it seems to me, can be summarized in four C's. They are Curiosity, Confidence, Courage and Constancy, and the greatest is Confidence. When you believe a thing, believe it all over, implicitly and unquestioningly."

--- Walt Disney

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Question for Parents!!

When and how did you plan on giving them out? I would imagine it would be appropriate if you were waiting in a long line and a nearby child is crying or fussy. I think a scenario like that would be OK if you get the parents' permission before giving anything out.

Yeah, I was thinking in line, especially if they're getting antsy. I had a couple experiences the last few trips with kids just having had ENOUGH of the lines, but they'd perk right back up when I, or someone, would start asking them about their favourite ride, etc etc. On one occasion I did give a kid a set of stickers I'd just been handed by a CM a little earlier, so I thought bringing my own might be nice.
    "Somehow I can't believe there are many heights that can't be scaled by a man who knows the secret of making dreams come true. This special secret, it seems to me, can be summarized in four C's. They are Curiosity, Confidence, Courage and Constancy, and the greatest is Confidence. When you believe a thing, believe it all over, implicitly and unquestioningly."

--- Walt Disney

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I think it's a nice idea and I think it would be received better because you are a woman. The idea of a random man giving away stickers to my kids is creepy to me.

I was hoping so. I'm only 20, as well, and I'm rather harmless looking. That's always in my favor.
    Last edited by CaribbeanMouse; 07-22-2009 at 06:13 PM.

--- Walt Disney

Disnyfan83 is offline Fastpass Holder

I think your best bet is to always ask the parent first - you know, sort of over the child's head in a hushed tone. Like "Do you think he/she would like a sticker? may I give them one?"

I know if my child was the fussy one, I would be delighted for you to give them a sticker to help simmer down!
    Leslie Henson
    leslieH@mei-travel.com
    affiliated w/ MEI & Mouse Fan Travel

Old Magic Kingdom Tour Guides never retire -- we still tell people where to go and what to do!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I think if you were in line and asked the parents first, that would be okay. Walking around handing them out like a CM would probably not be okay.

tmlinz is offline E-Ticket Holder

I would have to agree with the popular sentiment; fussy kid, ask first. I wouldn't see a problem with that.
    The happiest place on earth is where my kids are!

wannabimagineer is offline B-Ticket Holder

I'm a parent and would agree to ask first. I think if the child is really fussy or bored their parent would really appreciate the distraction.

Have fun on your trip...I'm jealous that I can't go until next year!

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Being a parent, add me to the list of having to ask the parent first.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

harra is offline Fastpass Holder

With all the "stranger danger" going on these days (definitely wasn't as big of a deal when I was a kid), I seem to observe the following:
    * Solo woman talking to kid in presence of parents- OK
    * Solo man talking to kid in any scenerio - Warning Flags go up
    * Man talking to kid with female companion - Seems to be OK.

I remember strangers talking to us kids all the time in the 70's and my parents never cared. But I do remember them always reinforcing us to know that just because they let a stranger talk to us in their presence that doesn't mean that person is safe to be around when mom or dad aren't around.

We had code words and all kinds of sneaky stuff to verify a person was an agent of our parents before we talked to someone when they weren't around.

But many times my wife has tried to help parents distract their fussy children when we are in lines. Heck, one time we tried to distract a fussy dad who was terrified of going on Tower of Terror but didn't want his 12-yo son to think he was a wimp...haha
    Last edited by harra; 07-23-2009 at 12:10 PM.
    Ray
    Head Grump
    Grumpy's Hollow