Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Does MK still have an opening ceremony? in the Vacation Planning forums; If so, what time does it happen on EMH days? I'm going to MK 12/10/09 and really want to see the opening ceremony. I tried calling Disney, but lo and ...
    Minnie_Mouse007 is offline "Laughter is America's most important export."-Walt Disney

Question Does MK still have an opening ceremony?

If so, what time does it happen on EMH days? I'm going to MK 12/10/09 and really want to see the opening ceremony. I tried calling Disney, but lo and behold, I couldn't get the dang automated service to connect me to an agent. Can anyone help? Any answer is much appreciated! Thanks!
    ~Elyse
    GO KNIGHTS!
    I'm a baby Knight! UCF '13

Re: Does MK still have an opening ceremony?

Elyse!!!!! Long time no see! How the heck have you been???

How exciting for you that you'll be there next week!

I'm trying to remember them not doing the opening ceremony on EMH days.... We are usually there and I cannot remember a recent time that we didn't see the opening. I'm 99% sure that they still do it on EMH days! I do know for sure that the opening starts 10 minutes before the time that they drop the rope. So if the park is opening at 8 the morning you go I would highly suggest that you are there around 7:30 or so to get a decent spot to view and take pictures. We usually head towards the right of the train station to get good pictures!

Have fun and don't be a stranger around here!

williams is offline C-Ticket Holder

Yes the opening ceremony is huge and occurs bang on 8am on a 9am opening day. A shorter version happens on EMH days. The train comes round with all the characters on; you stand right in front of the station in front of the bag check area. Try to get near the front or you'll have people in your shots! My family and I got picked to open MK. I believe my kids are gorgeous; seriously, we were hanging around hools-hooping, kids decked out in Disney garb, having a good time. Music plays, everyone dances and it's great!

Regards,

Quote Originally Posted by williams View Post
    Yes the opening ceremony is huge and occurs bang on 8am on a 9am opening day.
    The opening ceremony only starts about 10 minutes before park opening time, not an hour before. It certainly doesn't hurt to get there an hour early to get a good spot, but you'll be waiting awhile.

Elyse......how did it go? Were you able to see it?

rock_doctor is offline A-Ticket holder

yep much to our surprise as we didn't even know there was an opening ceremony. Unlike EPCOT where they hold you at the fountain until opening when they yell "have at it" and the crowd like a school of piranha proceed to run to Soarin''.... ;-)

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

There is a rope drop ceremony at Epcot still, but since they got rid of the double-decker bus it happens on the ground and only the people up front get to see it at all...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news