Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss WDW blues? in the Vacation Planning forums; So I didn't really know where to post this, but I just needed to talk some people who I know can sympathize with how I am feeling. So last time ...
    disneymaniac86 is offline C-Ticket Holder

WDW blues?

So I didn't really know where to post this, but I just needed to talk some people who I know can sympathize with how I am feeling. So last time I was in WDW was in February 09, which really is not that long ago. But I am sooo homesick for Walt Disney World right now. I was snowed in my house today in stupid South Dakota, reading all day on here, and just getting sadder and sadder. Isn't it weird how you can feel more homesick for WDW than anywhere else when WDW isn't even techinically your home? I mean I can be there and be completely content with everything and not even think about my real home.

Blah, I'm just having a down day and missing it all ohhh so much. And to top it off, if you read my signature I was supposed to be moving to FL over a month ago. Well, I left a little early, in October, got down there, only to have my car break, spend all my money fixing it, and now my grandma is sick, so I had to come back to South Dakota. Now I have no clue when I will get back down there. While I was there, we were in Orlando for four days getting our car fix, with not enough money to go to WDW. So I got to go to DTD and the Boardwalk and hang out. I cried when I was at DTD because I knew I wasn't going to get anymore Disney action than just that. So now I am back here, trying my hardest to come up with the money to get back there.

So anyway, anyone else feeling this way right about now? How do you help cope with it? Usually reading the forums, or watching an old planning dvd or something will lift my spirits a bit. I got two new WDW books for Christmas along with a D23 membership... and now I am stuck here.
    My name is Emily and I am addicted to Walt Disney World. There, I said it and I'm proud.

Louis Mongello, you are my hero!

Moving to St. Petersburg, FL in November!!!
    I will be at WDW every two weeks then... I can't wait!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: WDW blues?

I'm completely with you there! I cope through park music on Live365 usually, and by reading. For the lack of anything new/decent to read one time, I decided on a whim to purchase a previous year's edition of a WDW guide book and read it for fun. This time of the year is perfect for that, actually, with the new year.

Which books did you get?
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

I got the Imagineering Guide to Epcot, which I already had, but it got lost. I haven't read it for about a year, so I read that all the way through. And I also got The Hidden Magic of Walt Disney World, which I had never heard of, but had some interesting facts. It was very brief about everything though, which was kind of dissapointing. And it didn't include anything other than the four parks, which was kind of sad as well. Another sad story that I have held back from telling people, last year I was evicted from my apartment for non payment of rent (even though I had paid it, had the money order stub to prove it) and they threw out everything that was left in my apartment. Including ALL of my WDW stuff from my life. Yeah, it still hurts me pretty bad. I don't like talking about it, so I am still trying to build back up my collection through ordering old stuff online. Like two months ago though, I did find a perfect condition 1972 guidebook for the Magic Kingdom, which I thought was pretty cool.

So where do you listen to the theme park music, you said Live365, is that a website?
    My name is Emily and I am addicted to Walt Disney World. There, I said it and I'm proud.

Live365 is a website, both free and subscription. The free portion isn't bad at all, if you can get past the two short commercials they play after every three or so songs. I decided to pay the $5 a month, so I can get all sorts of great random streaming music (including Disney park and movie music) at work or home or while sitting in class waiting for the professor to come in. I also have a huge collection of my own, though I rarely, if ever listen to it for some reason. I guess it's more fun if you don't have to play it yourself so you don't know what's coming up next.

While in WDW earlier this month, I saw two DVDs on the making of WDW and Disneyland, so I ordered them when I came home. The WDW one was short and not worth the $$. Haven't tried the Disneyland one yet. Another fun thing to do is find ridethrus on YouTube, as another quick fix!

I'll have to check out that Epcot book, since it sounds like something I'd enjoy reading. Thanks for suggesting I steer clear of that other one, though. There are a few books I have on a list (that I've since misplaced) that I wanted to look into. Trouble is, many are not on the shelves and must be special-ordered. Then you never know if they're worth buying until they come in!

I also started collecting autographs a few years ago, and recently decided to start trying to build up my Disney-related collection. I've found a lot of lists online of people that I want to start working on as special projects, like the Legends and those that have windows on Main Street (if they're alive), though I've seen a lot of the same names on both lists.

That ****s about losing your apartment AND your Disney collection. Paying on-line prices for stuff you already had can really hurt, I'm sure!
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

That live365 is pretty cool! I went on there and listened to some of the WDW channels, and I admit it helped a little. Then I went on Youtube and watched Wishes, which I do quite often, but it always makes me a little happier. I remember this one site I used to go to all the time that had all kinds of ride throughs from Disney parks, does anyone know what I might be talking about?

Anyway, I find all the Imagineering guides to be pretty interesting reads, and at least they are credible unlike a lot of the books out there about secrets and stuff. I think I might have that WDW video you were talking about, it was kind of short with very little info, and I paid like $20 for it.

Then I'll follow your lead and start checking out the Imagineering books. I think you're right that they would have the most information and not be filled with opinion.

I don't know which site you're talking about for ridethrus, but I'll keep my eyes open. Sounds like something I would enjoy checking out. Live365 keeps me company on the computer, for Disney music or anything else I search for (sometimes it's fun to hear Christmas music in the middle of summer!). Even with the commercials, it's still a nice way to hear some Disney park audio. There are other sites that stream right through their website, so you can check those out, too. And DCot has a jukebox player that allows you to select what you want to hear, though again, you have to play them yourself.

As for missing the parks, I usually only go once a year, and always around the same time. So once I land back in NY, I know I'm done for nearly a full year. So I make the best of the time I'm home

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Sorry your feeling blue but like Supernova I only go about once a year, sometimes not even that often, but when I do go I really appreciate it. I'm not sure if I lived in Florida and near the park if I would have that same appreciation for it. I love the seasons that NY has to offer and I love many things around home (especially my friends and family) but to keep in the Disney spirit I like to go onto the forums regularly and I listen to several podcasts and also love 365. Another thing I have done for many years is to order the free DVD planning guide, even if your not going for that year, it's nice to collect them and look back on the old ones and see the changes. Also every once in awhile I like to listen to sound clips, here is a site with some......Disney World sounds and music Go down to "other" and listen the monorail clips, they are great
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Quote Originally Posted by GIOny View Post
    Sorry your feeling blue but like Supernova I only go about once a year, sometimes not even that often, but when I do go I really appreciate it. I'm not sure if I lived in Florida and near the park if I would have that same appreciation for it. I love the seasons that NY has to offer and I love many things around home (especially my friends and family) but to keep in the Disney spirit I like to go onto the forums regularly and I listen to several podcasts and also love 365. Another thing I have done for many years is to order the free DVD planning guide, even if your not going for that year, it's nice to collect them and look back on the old ones and see the changes. Also every once in awhile I like to listen to sound clips, here is a site with some......Disney World sounds and music Go down to "other" and listen the monorail clips, they are great
    Agreed. I wonder if an annual pass would dampen my appreciation for the parks? I have a friend who worked for Disney for many many years and has totally lost the magic. He was a fan before and that was what lead him to apply. Once he started, the under-appreciation of employees (wages, hours, etc) and the fact that he was there completely burned him out on Disney. The happy ones are a bit more difficult to pick out, mainly because they are doing such a great job hiding the lobotomy scars these days!

supermariodrums is offline D-Ticket Holder

I can totally relate to these Disney Blues...I only get to go to WDW every other year or so which is a lot longer between trips than I like but when I get there I really do appreciate it that much more. So things I like to do to relive the magic if you will is just go on youtube and type in WDW and watch some of the videos. I'll watch anything from other people's family vacations to ride throughs to documentaries. You can find practically anything on there.

Another thing I like to do is just do google image searches of some of my favorite rides...you'll be surprised what you find sometimes.

Plan a mock trip go onto Disney's website and just play around with dates and resorts and stuff and see what you can do.

And of coarse listen to Lou's podcast.

Well I hope that this helps you and others!
    Disney World is not just a place, but an experience.

Back in the world for the 2013 Marathon Weekend!

WDW

Thanks guys for all the advice and ideas Sometimes I think I have a serious problem with how much I love WDW, maybe its unhealthy... lol, but I don't see how anything that can make me so happy can be unhealthy. I know I was not there that long ago, but I still feel like its been forever. Last night, in the spirals of my Disney World depression, I decided I am going in May. That gives me enough time to come up with the money. I know things are tight right now, but I figure even if I can get down there for like five nights, it will make me feel better. It makes me feel better to know definitely that I will be there sometime in the near future, you know?

Another fun thing I've been doing is searching out high quality images and using them as desktop images for my computer. I change them up every few days and it really helps to imagine you're there.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Agreed. I wonder if an annual pass would dampen my appreciation for the parks? I have a friend who worked for Disney for many many years and has totally lost the magic. He was a fan before and that was what lead him to apply. Once he started, the under-appreciation of employees (wages, hours, etc) and the fact that he was there completely burned him out on Disney. The happy ones are a bit more difficult to pick out, mainly because they are doing such a great job hiding the lobotomy scars these days!
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Here is another link with WDW park music, Sounds

Quote Originally Posted by GIOny View Post
    Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    Here is another link with WDW park music, Sounds
    There were some music clips on that site that I didn't have. Thanks for sharing!

Finkelstein is offline A-Ticket holder

I can empathise with the blues. We get to visit every 2 years approximately so I have a very long slog between fixes but the up side is when we do go its for a full two weeks so we get to do pretty much everything we want to, budget allowing. Our next trip is in Oct 10 so we are entering the the build-up period that involves all the planning and tinkering with itineries. To help cope I spend an inordinate amount of time on a few forums and listening to podcasts. I am also building a library of Disney books focusing on the history and work that went into creating Disneyworld.

In the next couple of months I will start on Lou's audio guides. It can be dispiriting sometimes when you are at the furthest point from a trip but I comfort myself with the thought that at least I get to go and have something to look forward to.

Gordon
    99 - Offsite, 2004 - Offsite, 2006 - Pop Century,
    2008 - POFQ, 2010 - OKW

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast