Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Christmas at Disney in the Vacation Planning forums; Well, I just got back from the world at Christmas time. This was my first time there on the holidays. What a mistake. Man was it crowded (what recession?) I ...
    garryz is offline B-Ticket Holder

Thumbs down Christmas at Disney

Well, I just got back from the world at Christmas time. This was my first time there on the holidays. What a mistake. Man was it crowded (what recession?) I needed a fastpass for the bathroom. Never again. Yes the holiday decore is great. But the crowds take the magic awAy.
    dvcnut. As Walt said "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them".DISNEY.....LIVE THE DREAM!!!!!

zwandel is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: Christmas at Disney

i agree we did that four years ago it was the worst experience that we have had
    ZACH

NICKY MOUSE is offline B-Ticket Holder

We left wdw on Dec 23. Crowds where just starting on the 23rd to get nuts. Before that 18th-22 was not bad busy but not bad.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    Walt Disney

WDW visits
    75 April Contemporary
    76 April Contemporary
    02 June Cabins Fort Wilderness
    05 Easter Fort Wilderness Camping
    06-07 New Years Riverside
    07-08 New Years Pop
    09 June Riverside
    09 18-23 Dec Pop
    10 5-9 Apr Pop
    10 11-20 June Camping Fort Wilderness
    10 Dec Polynesian
    11 Disney Dream Lou Cruise
    11 June Fort Wilderness
    11 Oct Bay Lake Tower
    12 Jan Pop
    12 June Bay Lake
    12 July Cruise to Canada On Magic
    12 Nov Lou's Cruise on Dream

garryz is offline B-Ticket Holder

Smile Re: Christmas at Disney

Thanks. We usually go in the summer. And the summer was a cake walk compaired to Christmas
    dvcnut. As Walt said "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them".DISNEY.....LIVE THE DREAM!!!!!

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

Last year we went to the world on Dec 25 and the family went home January 1. (One son and I stayed til the 3rd). We didn't really notice the crowds because we always went back to rest in the afternoons. I think this helped us be able to handle everything. We also made sure that we went to a different park after our break. For some reason the kids felt they got to do more. Psychology can be a great things!

bety is offline Disney World Beast

We always go at the beginning of December so we can experience the Christmas festivities without the crowds. We were there from the 10th-15th this year and it was wonderful! It was practically empty.
    July 1994- off site
    February 1999- Port Orleans Riverside
    March 2000- Caribbean Beach
    January 2004- off site
    February 2006- Pop Century
    April 2006- off site
    January 2007- Pop Century
    December 2007- Coronado Springs
    December 2008- Pop Century
    December 2009- Coronado Springs/All Star Sports
    Next trip: December 2010- All Star Music

disneymaniac86 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Never been there during Christmas, I was planning on it this year, but it didn't happen. I've heard the crowds were ridiculous. That makes me think of something. One time years ago when we were riding a bus back to our resort after a day at MK, the driver was asking trivia questions. He asked what day was the busiest at WDW, so I answered Christmas Day, and he told me I was wrong, that it was New Year's Day. I really didn't think that was right. Anybody know for sure?
    My name is Emily and I am addicted to Walt Disney World. There, I said it and I'm proud.

Louis Mongello, you are my hero!

Moving to St. Petersburg, FL in November!!!
    I will be at WDW every two weeks then... I can't wait!

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

I'm in teacher's college and my Math prof just went to Disney World over Christmas with his 3 young boys, as well as his parents, brother, and small niece. I was worried that he was going to have a terrible time because of the crowds, since he had never been and this would be his first and only Disney experience) but he loved it! He said it was pretty nuts and he kept bashing into peoples legs with his stroller by accident, but that he would go back in an instant. His exact quote was "They say its the most magical place on earth... thats the biggest understatement EVER!". He then told the whole class about the magic of the utilidors and how they pump out the fake bakery smell on main street, and the osbourne festival of lights... and then did a slide show with all 1000-ish pictures from his trip! (best math class EVER!).
    My figuring... is crowded Disney is better than no Disney at all! I don't get to go enough to be able to complain about things like crowds, I'm just thankful when I get to go . As a teacher you don't have many options besides our one week spring break, the summer, or Christmas... all busy times!

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

I would NOT go to WDW during the Christmas/New Years week if I wanted to go to experience all the attractions, etc. It's going to be too crowded to do everything.

I WOULD go to WDW during that time for the experience.

BUT - its much less crowded in the weeks before Christmas, and you can still experience pretty much all of the atmosphere...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
    I would NOT go to WDW during the Christmas/New Years week if I wanted to go to experience all the attractions, etc. It's going to be too crowded to do everything.

I WOULD go to WDW during that time for the experience.

BUT - its much less crowded in the weeks before Christmas, and you can still experience pretty much all of the atmosphere...

Luckily you CAN go in the weeks before Christmas That will never be an option for me. I would love to see all the Christmas stuff though, just once... it would have to be between Christmas and New Years which I know would be REALLY busy, but beggers can't be choosers.

For all the people saying they would never go then... would you go if it was THE only time you could go? I personally have really only ever been during spring break and its really busy, but its the only time I've ever been so I don't know any different.

mrklig is offline B-Ticket Holder

You need to go in the weeks before Christmas. We went Dec 11-14 and got to experience all the holiday decor with little or no waits.
    Owner at Bay Lake Towers!

Next Trip: July 15-19 - Adults Only Trip with my lovely wife

Disney Fantasy (1st Fantasy) April 2014

rock_doctor is offline A-Ticket holder

The trick to going over Xmas/new years is to be there at the rope drop and plan to leave by noon...plus hope for snow... We went into the parks on 1/2 and 1/4 and since it was in the 30s we walked on most rides until about noon when the planet descended on the parks. Get there early, make use of the early morning magic hours and move quickly until the crowds arrive, then hit the stores, shows and just relax.