Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss What happened to Pirates!? in the Vacation Planning forums; Alright, now I just came back from WDW in Jan and on our last day at MK we went through pirates and noticed that Davey Jones was not working. Oh ...
    Yensid_Retlaw is offline D-Ticket Holder

What happened to Pirates!?

Alright, now I just came back from WDW in Jan and on our last day at MK we went through pirates and noticed that Davey Jones was not working. Oh well you could still hear him and see him in the water but no awesome fog effect. Anyway, since then three of my co-workers have been there. One said that Pirates was a wreck and when they went on it that Davey Jones was still not there (This is a week after) nor was he even talking. Then she stated that the Jack animatronics were actually Cast Members acting out the scene!? Has anyone heard of Disney ever doing that cause I just didn't believe her as it was her first trip so I brushed it off as she had just never seen a more life like Animatronic. Anyway next co-worker comes home and tells me she never even got to go on Pirates cause it was down. She was there for two weeks and it was always down every time she was there. Now I have just talked to my third co-worker and he just came back Yesterday and he told me that Davey Jones is not working and the Jack animatronics appeared to be in B-Mode and doing as little oh their montions as possible. For example (Jack hiding in the dresses just looks left and right instead of leaning out). I am very confused and am looking for some insight into this and it's really stressing me out just to hear that Disney is having this big a problem but still keeping the ride open. What happened to Pirates!?

There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow! Just a dream away!

"A Tip of the hat from Dr. Facilier"

"Cause I've got friends on the other side!"

A proud D23 Charter Year member.

And a dedicated Lead Manager at the Disney Store in Georgian Mall, Barrie, Ontario! 3 years! I almost get a Pluto pin!

The 5ive O is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: What happened to Pirates!?

I was just there on Feb. 6. I saw Davy Jones with the floating image effect just fine. Also, Jack Sparrow was working fine as well. I can see why someone who compares the JS figure as real when you have all the other "old" pirates there doing minimal motions. The only real problem I had with pirates was that at the end it got clogged and I spent about 5 mins listening to the prisoners whistling for the dog, but Jack was talking and I don't think I heard him loop his speech while we were sitting there, which is pretty impressive.

Sorry to hear that you didn't get a good experience there.
    Man has a dream, and that's the start...

...he follows his dream with mind and heart...

...and when it becomes a reality, it's a dream come true for you and me." - Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

I think someone, or several, are pulling on your pirate peg leg...

I haven't seen any reports of major problems. Yes, the fog screen can be problematic, but if POTC was down for two weeks or live actors there would be more reports, and I'm getting nada.

Someone on another board claimed that Johnny Depp himself was at WDW and would be playing Captain Jack in a show at MK...riiiiiight...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

lol I just want to prove these people wrong. In no way do I think they are right because as I stated this was a first trip for one of the people. I was really just looking for some insight to see if anyone else had experienced this.

And a dedicated Lead Manager at the Disney Store in Georgian Mall, Barrie, Ontario! 3 years! I almost get a Pluto pin!

tripletinx3 is offline C-Ticket Holder

i was just there about 2 weeks ago & i had read your post before i arrived, eager to see if i would experience the same. We rode PotC about 4 times and everytime Davey Jones wan't working. The fog effect worked only once and the sound kept on changing. When I came around to Capt. Jack, he seemed to be doing much less movement as well when he was looking around. I thought it was kind of strange....

♥feeling twitterpated♥

Oh no..... They still haven't got it all working.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Disney is not paying an employee to hide in a barrel and pop up as Jack Sparrow.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Now see I know that but the person who went swore that it was.

athenna is offline E-Ticket Holder
    Boston,SSR, AKLV, Will's ship, Balian's castle

When I was @ WDW last week of Jan, Davy Jonesmist screen wasnt working at all...Heard some folks say it hadnt worked for 2 weeks.
    I just returned from another trip late last night, Fri I rode POTC and Davy Jones was working.

I got engaged @ WDW 1/24/10

Yahoo! Thanks a lot!

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

I went the last Saturday in February and the Davy Jones smoke screen was not working and the ride was 101 when we went by around 10ish in the morning, though it was up again at around 2 p.m. Jack audio-animatronics seemed to be working fine.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Seems to me that of all the possible points of failure on the POTC attraction, a fog screen with a projection would be the last thing to have issues. Odd!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe