Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Formal Dresses in the Vacation Planning forums; Help please! Several of my DD friends are going to Disney World in a few days. They have ressies at the Castle. Their intentions are to leave the MK and ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Formal Dresses

Help please!

Several of my DD friends are going to Disney World in a few days. They have ressies at the Castle. Their intentions are to leave the MK and prep for dinner and return in their Formal Length Prom dresses for dinner.

I can't find it however I seem to remember someone posting about wedding restricting and formal dresses i.e., they were not allowed due to safety reasons.

Anyone have any guidelines or info?

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Formal Dresses

I know there was a rule against impromptu wedding ceremonies at the castle, but I have seen formal wear a tthe castle. Two years ago, an Air Force LtCol was in his evening dress uniform with his daughter in a princess formal gown posing for pictures in front of the castle. I suppose they could always call WDW DINE to find out if there are any restrictions. Personally, I think they have a really classy idea and hope they can do it.

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I would think it wouldn't be a problem if they just want to go have dinner in the formal wear but getting on rides may be another story. Is it a special event, or do they just feel like dressing up?
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

The girls just graduated high school. They are going down to celebrate and wanted another shot at wearing their very formal prom dresses. In reality they are Bridesmaid dresses. What better place than the Castle?

I just recall reading somewhere, I believe in a wedding trip report, that there was restrictions on formal wear in the parks (safety reasons) above the age of 9 or 11. Just can't find the post.

elvistelth is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I read on another site you can't wear wedding dresses because Disney is afraid kids may mistake the wearers for Disney princesses.

Here is a related thread from another site:http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2426651

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by elvistelth View Post
    I read on another site you can't wear wedding dresses because Disney is afraid kids may mistake the wearers for Disney princesses.

Here is a related thread from another site:Can adults wear costumes in the Magic Kingdom (not during MNSSHP)?? - The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com

That's what I heard too, it's not a safety issue it's because they don't want adults dressed up in any sort of "costume" or anything that children might think are Disney characters (since Disney can't control the behavior of these dressed up guests). Is there someone you can call, like the dining reservation people just to be sure? It would be a shame for them to get kicked out...

GIOny is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I think their best bet is to wear their dresses but bring a backpack with a change of clothes so if Disney doesn't go for it they can change. Of course the only problem with that is they will probably have to roll up their dresses and put them in the backpack then, not sure if that would be a problem. I would say call Disney and ask them but my experience with them on those sort of questions is that if I ask 10 people I get 10 different answers.
    It's kind of fun to do the impossible!

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

Your friends can always go someplace else besides the castle to eat. There's plenty of great restaurants to eat in at WDW, many of which are much better than Cinderella's Royal Table, in my opinion.

Many of these restaurants have dress codes to begin with, and I wouldn't think they'd run the possibility of getting kicked out at all if they arrived dressed like that to somewhere like Narcoossee's or California Grill.

Being the Mom here I think they wanted to march through the MK in their Prom dresses. That rite of passage to college mentality.

I've passed on your words of wisdom to the girls. They are having a
    "dinner meeting" tonight. Leaning toward shorter dresses for the evening.
    They have ressies for the Castle and they are not giving those up.

Thanks for the help!

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Being the Mom here I think they wanted to march through the MK in their Prom dresses. That rite of passage to college mentality.

I've passed on your words of wisdom to the girls. They are having a
    "dinner meeting" tonight. Leaning toward shorter dresses for the evening.
    They have ressies for the Castle and they are not giving those up.

Thanks for the help!

Oh ya, for SURE keep the reservations!

I hope it works out for them, it sounds like a lot of fun! I think the key is just to make sure they can't be mistaken for princesses haha (although I'm sure that's exactly what they WANT to look like- who wouldn't?!).
    Let us know what the end up doing and how it goes!