Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Disney vs. Universal: The Never Ending Debate in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by Dragonrider1227 You're entitled to your opinion and you don't HAVE to like Super Heroes, but someone who posts on a board for Walt Disney World shouldn't "wonder" ...
    HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Disney vs. Universal: The Never Ending Debate

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider1227 View Post
    You're entitled to your opinion and you don't HAVE to like Super Heroes, but someone who posts on a board for Walt Disney World shouldn't "wonder" why Super heroes or anything for that matter would appeal to anyone over the age of 11. It seems a little hypocritical to me.
    (is a big fan of Super Heroes)

I'm not a fan of super heroes. I'm OK with that. My son loved the Teenage Mutant Turtles when he was 4. We spent much time with them when he was a preschooler at MGM. If they returned I highly doubt they would draw his attention, certainly not mine. But everyones interests are different.

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I'm not a fan of super heroes. I'm OK with that. My son loved the Teenage Mutant Turtles when he was 4. We spent much time with them when he was a preschooler at MGM. If they returned I highly doubt they would draw his attention, certainly not mine. But everyones interests are different.

I think the point of the writer was more that as members of this forum, we clearly all love Disney and Mickey and whatnot which are things that many adults would (and do) think us crazy and childish for liking.... so even if you don't like superheroes its a bit unfair to question why "anyone over the age of 11" would be interested in them. So it's true, everyone's interests are different but we of all people should all at least understand the love of something considered "childish" by others.

Oh, and I must indeed be around your sons age because Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were my FAVORITE when I was in kindergarten! And if they returned I would most certainly see their show and get a picture taken with them for nostalgia purposes haha.

Quote Originally Posted by zippitydoodah View Post
    I think the point of the writer was more that as members of this forum, we clearly all love Disney and Mickey and whatnot which are things that many adults would (and do) think us crazy and childish for liking.... so even if you don't like superheroes its a bit unfair to question why "anyone over the age of 11" would be interested in them. So it's true, everyone's interests are different but we of all people should all at least understand the love of something considered "childish" by others.

Oh, and I must indeed be around your sons age because Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles were my FAVORITE when I was in kindergarten! And if they returned I would most certainly see their show and get a picture taken with them for nostalgia purposes haha.
    I sure agree with the retro nostalgia. Yet with all Disney and Universal has to offer I can't imagine the Turtles being a draw to him any longer. But I certainly don't begrudge anybody their super heroes if that is their draw.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

i wrote the comment about superheroes because Rick Blaine was hounding me about spiderman
    he couldnt understand how anyone could dislike it
    my goal was not to mock any fans but to show why i dont like a certain ride
    if your feelings were hurt
    im sorry
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

I got your point. It was close to mine. Superheroes just don't do it for me, Disney acquiring Marvel wasn't a thrill for me. But then again neither are the Fairies.

Give me Everest, Space Mountain, etc. and boy Disney has me.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

i like Disney because of The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and most of Tomorrowland, Frontierland, Adventureland and Liberty Square
    is is blaspheny to say ive never been a fan of the characters?
    even as a kid i wondered why peopl got their autographs...it's just a guy in there, I'd say to my brother
    i guess i was born cynical
    Fantasyland never meant much to me...even when I first visited as a kid
    to me the overall themeing is what makes WDW so special
    i like the architecture and how one area flows into another
    like how the contemporary resort is viewed from Tomorrowland because it fits the futuristic theme

i hope they can stay true to Walt's ideals
    Last edited by MartianCrab; 07-24-2010 at 01:39 AM.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    i like Disney because of The Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, and most of Tomorrowland, Frontierland, Adventureland and Liberty Square
    is is blaspheny to say ive never been a fan of the characters?
    even as a kid i wondered why peopl got their autographs...it's just a guy in there, I'd say to my brother
    i guess i was born cynical
    Fantasyland never meant much to me...even when I first visited as a kid
    to me the overall themeing is what makes WDW so special
    i like the architecture and how one area flows into another
    like how the contemporary resort is viewed from Tomorrowland because it fits the futuristic theme

i hope they can stay true to Walt's ideals
    Naw, you don't have to be a fan of the characters. Everyone likes Disney for different reasons. And you obviously don't hate the characters or there would be an awful lot of Disney you wouldn't be able to stand. One thing I've never admitted on here... I can't STAND Figment. Never have. He's annoying. People go on and on and on about him and I'm afraid I'm going to receive hate mail now haha, but I just have never liked him, including as a kid. The only other thing in Disney World that I really can't stand though, are the Hall of Presidents and the American Adventure. But I'm not American, so can you blame me? haha. Otherwise I'm a pretty well-rounded Disney fan... I enjoy the parades and fireworks and shows, and rides and the characters, the food... there are things I don't like but it's not really one particular aspect of the park so much as details. But that's just me!

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    I sure agree with the retro nostalgia. Yet with all Disney and Universal has to offer I can't imagine the Turtles being a draw to him any longer. But I certainly don't begrudge anybody their super heroes if that is their draw.
    Probably not haha. I certainly wouldn't make a trip to a park JUST for the Ninja Turtles. But the movie was on tv the other day and I did watch the whole thing... laughing the way through at how hilariously bad (and therefore wonderful) it was. But that's a different nostalgia than what I feel when I ride Peter Pan's flight I guess. It's more of a making fun of the 80s nostalgia. Although I loved transformers as well (I was never a girly girl) and that came back, so you never know!

missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

I will always remain faithful to the Disney parks. In my opinion (and to quote a well-known James Bond theme tune ), nobody does it better. Their theme parks are pure magic and the theming is without parallel.

However... that doesn't mean I'm totally anti-Universal. I think Islands of Adventure is a fun day out and a good way to get some thrill-rides out of my system. I'm looking forward to seeing the new WWOHP land, as that looks amazing from what I can see in the photos. Universal Studios, however, I'm not such a big fan of. It's not a park I feel the need to do on every trip to Orlando, although I love the Halloween Horror Nights event there.

But when it's all said and done, Disney is where I feel most 'at home' and if somebody told me I'd never be able to visit a Universal Park again, I wouldn't be too fussed. If somebody said the same of Disney, though, I'd be completely devastated.
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

Quote Originally Posted by missbounce View Post
    I will always remain faithful to the Disney parks. In my opinion (and to quote a well-known James Bond theme tune ), nobody does it better. Their theme parks are pure magic and the theming is without parallel.

However... that doesn't mean I'm totally anti-Universal. I think Islands of Adventure is a fun day out and a good way to get some thrill-rides out of my system. I'm looking forward to seeing the new WWOHP land, as that looks amazing from what I can see in the photos. Universal Studios, however, I'm not such a big fan of. It's not a park I feel the need to do on every trip to Orlando, although I love the Halloween Horror Nights event there.

But when it's all said and done, Disney is where I feel most 'at home' and if somebody told me I'd never be able to visit a Universal Park again, I wouldn't be too fussed. If somebody said the same of Disney, though, I'd be completely devastated.

Ya, I think that about sums up how I feel too. I'm not a huge fan of Universal Studios... when I go I typically end up walking over to IoA halfway through the day because its just much more fun there. IoA is a lot of fun and I go every 3 or so years for a day or two, but Disney makes me happy right down to my core. I try to go at least once a year and even planning a 2 week trip for a few weeks from now I'm upset that I don't have more time! I think I play devil's advocate a lot on these forums because among non-Disney friends I'll debate how much better Disney is than Universal and all that, but on here I don't like when people say how much they hate universal when they have never been before, or when people say that you can't go if you're a Disney fan. It's not like being a Disney fan means you can never enjoy any other park ever again. Besides, a little competition (hopefully) keeps Disney on its toes and means constant improvement... and there's nothing wrong with that!

Dragonrider1227 is offline Fastpass Holder

About us Disney enthusiasts going to Universal, I remember my family and I talking about taking a day to Universal during a Disney trip and t always gives me this image of us sneaking back into our Disney Resort after going to Universal and finding Mickey in our room all mad.
    "So... did you enjoy your day... AT UNIVERSAL?!!"
    XD
    Naw, you don't have to be a fan of the characters. Everyone likes Disney for different reasons. And you obviously don't hate the characters or there would be an awful lot of Disney you wouldn't be able to stand. One thing I've never admitted on here... I can't STAND Figment. Never have. He's annoying. People go on and on and on about him and I'm afraid I'm going to receive hate mail now haha, but I just have never liked him, including as a kid. The only other thing in Disney World that I really can't stand though, are the Hall of Presidents and the American Adventure. But I'm not American, so can you blame me? haha. Otherwise I'm a pretty well-rounded Disney fan... I enjoy the parades and fireworks and shows, and rides and the characters, the food... there are things I don't like but it's not really one particular aspect of the park so much as details. But that's just me!
    Understandable. I personally love the American Adventure but I could see it not appealing to everyone. Especially if you're not American XD I know I for one can't understand the appeal of The Country Bears or why so many people miss Mr. Toad's wild ride.
    Last edited by Dragonrider1227; 07-25-2010 at 05:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider1227 View Post

Understandable. I personally love the American Adventure but I could see it not appealing to everyone. Especially if you're not American XD I know I for one can't understand the appeal of The Country Bears or why so many people miss Mr. Toad's wild ride.
    Ah DITTO! I can't stand the country bears... my friend and sister used to always chase me around singing "blood on the saddle" when I was younger because I just could not STAND it. And while I never hated Mr.Toad I don't care if it's gone and I like Pooh well enough. As for the American Adventure, its funny I was just reading one of the trivia books and I can't remember the details but some ride in Epcot was nearly named something else that was significant to how long the USA has been a country (century 3 or something along those lines?), and then the Imagineers realized that this ride was not going to be just for Americans... and changed the name. I read that and was like WOW they actually realized for once that not only Americans go to Disney World! haha. I don't complain though because I mean, the park IS in the USA, and I can just not go see that show. And they may not have some spectaular show about Canadian history with audioanimatronics, be we DO have Le Cellier!

Dragonrider1227 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    i wrote the comment about superheroes because Rick Blaine was hounding me about spiderman
    he couldnt understand how anyone could dislike it
    my goal was not to mock any fans but to show why i dont like a certain ride
    if your feelings were hurt
    im sorry
    It's alright. Not liking a ride or a type of genre is alright. It was just your ways of wording it baffled me. But, it's okay. My feelings weren't hurt

Exactly! I don't really care if someone doesn't like Super Heroes or not. It's true, they're not for everyone. But questioning being into anything considered "childish" on a WALT DISNEY WORLD forum just really confused me

LOL Yeah. And I feel anything that gives us an entertaining look at American History is good since so many people don't know their own country's history these days. It's also good to see something out there reminding us that yes, America isn't perfect, but we can still be proud of being American. Something I'm also noticing seems to be a dying concept in some places. But now we're getting off topic XD
    Last edited by Dragonrider1227; 07-26-2010 at 01:53 AM.

Ahhh...we were all being so nice, lets not go back there again.

Lets agree at least we all have different draws.

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

The Disney vs Universal debate has migrated. it was only a matter of time.

here is my take.

I'm a Disney guy. I went to universal and IOA once and am not in a hurry to go back. Let me emphasize that when I went I was pretty excited about going to different parks. It was the first time in 9 years of coming to orlando that we had left property. I was pretty underwelmed. While some of the rides where technically quite good (MIB for isntance) and fun overall there didn't seem to be a lot of depth once you got past the rides themselves. Dr Seuss landing is a great kids area and frankly felt the closests to an immersive experience. I felt both Iniversal and IOA were a collection of quite satisfactory individual experiences but not a unified experience like a visit to MK or EPCOT if that makes sense. I guess I never felt a theme. Disney is the master of themes. You walk into MK and you feel a unified experience even as you go from land to land becasue those transition as part of the experience and the lands make a part of a whole experience. DHS feels more disjointed. DAK (with the expection of Camp Mickey Minnie) does and excellent job of providing multiple experiences as part of a unified whole.
    Last edited by Veritas; 08-21-2010 at 01:08 PM.
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast