Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Disney vs. Universal: The Never Ending Debate in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by penguinmickdis1 I have never been to the Universal park, but the thing is, I have no desire to go. Though I am not going to judge it ...
    fermithekrog is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Disney vs. Universal: The Never Ending Debate

Quote Originally Posted by penguinmickdis1 View Post
    I have never been to the Universal park, but the thing is, I have no desire to go. Though I am not going to judge it because I have never been there, I feel that it does not have the same magic that disney has. They don't have the same wealth of characters and some of the rides are just roller coasters, how can you comare a ride that is just a steel coaster to a a roller like expedition everest that has a story and takes place on a mountain and not just loops and curves with no point.
    if you've researched the coasters, you'd see that each and every one has a story, and theming. this isn't Six Flags.

Hulk: you're in Bruce Banner's gamma ray. you hear him screaming that something has malfunctioned, and he turns into the Hulk, and you blast off.

Dragon Challenge (formerly Dueling Dragons): you partake in the dragon taming event from the Triwizard Tournament, (from Harry Potter) and you ride either the Chinese Fireball, or the Hungarian Horntail. heavily themed quene.

Flight of the Hippogrif (formerly The Flying Unicorn) Hagrid is teaching you how to ride a Hippogrif. You walk across the Hogwarts grounds to get to the ride.

Revenge of the Mummy: You're taking a tour of the set of the new "Mummy" movie, when you find out that the curse of the mummy is real. hilarity ensues.

Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit: You are creating your own music video. possibly the least themed, story wise of them all.

Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse Coaster: you're taking a tour of Woody's nuthouse.

those don't sound like "just steel coasters".
    @fermithekrog
    facebook.com/adrienlennoncarlson

Hot patootie, bless my soul! I really love that rock n roll!

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

We got to go to Universal,in the first year that it opened,and we had a blast! Everything was working and running,except for Jaws.But back then in 1990,the park was awesome.Just to name a few:Murder She Wrote show,Hanna/Barbera ride,Alfred Hitchcock's show,Ghostbusters show,Earthquake ride,King Kong ride,ET ride,Lucille Ball Tribute museum,plus the cool boat-chasing show in the lagoon.We went back the following year and rode all that I mentioned again,plus Jaws was operating too.It was awesome.But then after a few more years,they added the Back to the Future ride,which blew me away.It was so awesome,since back in the early 90's,is when simulation rides began to be developed and built.That and the Hanna/Barbera simulation rides were my first two to go on,and they were great.
    But now,after going back in the latter years of the 2000's,I have been quite disappointed.Jimmy Neutron is pretty cool,but I miss Hanna/Barbera and those characters,since those are the ones that I grew up with as a kid.Don't care nothing for Shrek,(they can take that out as far as I'm concerned).Twister is exceptionally cool,even though it is an experience and not a ride,I still like it.The Mummy ride was absolutely one of the best coasters that I have ever been on.ET is still a classic and should always remain at the park.Back to the Future was closed down on our last trip there,because they were in renovations for turning it into that stupid Simpsons ride.(yeah,I hate the Simpsons).Terminator,ok,but pretty lame,no excitement for the long wait time.The rest of the park is ok,Mel's Drive-In,old Rodeo Dr area.
    All in all,would I spend money to go back to Universal Studios,and Islands of Adventure?Been to both several times and I can honestly say,at this writing,I won't go back.
    P.S. My best friend used to work at Universal Studios for about 7 yrs,and he got us in free for years.I've only paid 3 times to go there.
    Park Hopper Dad!

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Not big on Universal. Probably a cross between the fact that I'm not huge in to a lot of the movies they offer attractions for and have motion sickness so the thrill rides don't impress me. Seems like they change things a lot and rely on fads a lot more - I like that with Disney, I can usually go and know my favorite attraction is going to be there waiting for me. Disney doesn't open/close/open like Universal does.

I just like Disney more....the whole atmosphere is better and I find the employees to be more impressive. When I go to Disney, I feel like I'm in a totally different world; Universal just feels like a theme park....no "special" feeling. It's just hard to describe. Everything just seems so perfect.

To summarize, I won't be going to Universal again.
    Last edited by clj2; 09-20-2010 at 03:17 AM.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

pranker51502 is offline Annual Passholder

Well I had a friend offer me a ticket to IoA which I have never been too. So of course I went. I was very excited and where Universal Studios was disappointing, I was ready to give this park a chance, and give me yet another thing to do while in Orlando. But alas, I was let down again. Where I am a Disney fan, I was going into this expecting something different, and tried to like it for it's own, but it's just not, what I consider a theme park. It is more of a Six Flags. Where some of the rides are amazing, very fun, well built, and thrilling, the themeing is just hardly there. The Hulk, Dueling Dragons, Spiderman, were my favorite rides, but I don't consider a air conditioned line with TV's themed. The best theme I saw was probably Dueling Dragons, Spiderman, and the new Harry Potter ride. Suessland was themed, but it felt cheap, almost like a Gotham City in Six Flags. Once again, I wanted to like this park, I wasn't going into it trying to compare, but I was constantly reminded of other places. I enjoyed some of the rides themselves, but for a "theme" park, I wouldn't say so. I also found my self bored before noon, maybe because the park wasn't that busy, but it seemed as if we FLEW through everything there was to see.

Annual Passholder: '06,'07,'08,'09,'10,'11

I agree with you, pranker. Universal is OK but not as articulate and "special" as Disney. It's nicer than Six Flags, though, IMO.

I wouldn't even call Uni my second favorite theme park...(would probably be Dollywood behind all of the Disney ones of course!).

When I go to Disney, even on my first visit, I immediately wanted to go back and do things over again - TTA, Country Bears (don't hate), teacups, etc at MK...Universal, I could care less to do over. I wish them luck and success, I just don't care to visit there as I just wasn't that impressed.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

Chrissy&Tayen is offline counting down to my vacation

after disney.. i would say either kings island and universals run neck and neck.. universal has cool 3d but.. kings island has way more thrill rides
    All Star Sports July 2006
    All Star Movies October 2007
    Coronado Spring February 2010
    Pop Century October 2010
    All Star Movies September 2011
    Pop Century September 2012
    Chrissy

Universal seems to change their attractions so much. A decent amount of Disney's attractions (MK) have been there since the 1970s/1980s and are still extremely popular and haven't been changed. I really wonder if most of Universal's attractions would still really be around 40 years later? I don't think so. I like change, but like I said, I don't like things changed a lot. Disney is so timeless compared to Universal. Maybe I'm just too nostalgic

Forgot to add, I do like their "CityWalk" area or whatever it is called.

IIRC, I think Universal seemed to be hit more by the recession than WDW (could be mistaken).

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
    Universal seems to change their attractions so much. A decent amount of Disney's attractions (MK) have been there since the 1970s/1980s and are still extremely popular and haven't been changed. I really wonder if most of Universal's attractions would still really be around 40 years later? I don't think so. I like change, but like I said, I don't like things changed a lot. Disney is so timeless compared to Universal. Maybe I'm just too nostalgic

Forgot to add, I do like their "CityWalk" area or whatever it is called.

IIRC, I think Universal seemed to be hit more by the recession than WDW (could be mistaken).
    this is because many universal attractions are based off of a "fad..." something that was pretty cool back when it was popular... and now people are like "they actually made an attraction from this...?" i.e. twister, MIB, etc...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Maestrojosh87 is offline A-Ticket holder

To be perfectly honest, I happen to agree with what Ghost #1000 was saying. Universal is pretty awesome to go to, but there isn't that much rides to tackle, and they're all E-ticket. And also, it's just not as SPECIAL as Disney is.

Long story short, it's always going to be Disney over Universal for me.
    December 1988 -- Disney Village Resort
    1990 -- Beach Club
    1991 -- One Day at Disneyland (Hotel unknown)
    1992 -- One Day at Disneyland (Four Seasons Newport Beach)
    November/December 1992 -- Offsite (Hyatt Orlando, name changed to Ramada Celebration, then Orlando Sun Resort)
    July/August 1993 -- One Day at Disneyland (Hyatt Newporter)
    November/December 1993 -- WDW Swan
    August 1995 -- Disneyland (Hyatt Regency Alicante, now Orange County)
    November 1996 -- Offsite (Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress)
    February 1998 -- Offsite (Holiday Inn Sunspree), Contemporary
    August 1998 -- Boardwalk Villas
    February 1999 -- Old Key West
    August 1999 -- Disneyland Hotel
    February 2000 -- Boardwalk Villas
    December 2000 -- Old Key West
    February 2001 -- Grand Californian
    December 2001 -- Grand Californian
    February 2002 -- Vero Beach, Boardwalk
    August 2002 -- Hard Rock Hotel, Old Key West
    April 2003 -- Dolphin
    August 2003 -- Grand Californian
    February 2004 -- Dolphin, Offsite (Marriott Horizons, name changed to Marriott Harbour Lake)
    May 2005 -- Beach Club Villas
    March 2006 -- Offsite (Marriott Grande Vista)
    August/September 2006 -- Boardwalk Villas
    December 2006 -- Disneyland Hotel
    May 2007 -- Saratoga Springs
    May 2008 -- Old Key West
    March 2009 -- Offsite (Marriott Grande Vista)
    May/June 2009 -- Grand Californian
    May 2010 -- Bay Lake Tower, Boardwalk Villas, Offsite (Marriott Grande Vista)
    August 2010 -- Disneyland Hotel Paris (first international Disney vacation ever, w00t w00t)
    January 2011 -- Beach Club Villas
    September 2011 -- Grand Californian (first Disney vacation to start on my birthday, w00t w00t)
    November/December 2011 -- Saratoga Springs, Offsite (Marriott Sabal Palms)

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

exactly... it is cool to go every few years... but it misses that "wow!" factor that WDW has...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567