Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss How to spend your arrival day in the Vacation Planning forums; My family and I will be arriving in Orlando on March 12, 2011 for our 1st family Disney vacation. (I can in 1978 so that really doesn't count.) We looking ...
    jmulkey is offline A-Ticket holder

How to spend your arrival day

My family and I will be arriving in Orlando on March 12, 2011 for our 1st family Disney vacation. (I can in 1978 so that really doesn't count.)

We looking for flights now and hope to arrive around 2:00 Orlando time.

How long will it take to get to my resort (All Star Movie) and check in? We also want to go straight to the MK. What attractions are possible to get into?

We would love to do some things in Tomorrowland: Space Mountain, Snitch, Buzz Lightyear, Monster's Inc, and Tomorrowland Speedway. We are wanting to make reservations at Tony's Town Square and see Wishes also.

Am I being too ambitious? Just needing some help getting started on the planning.

Jackie
    Oxford, MS

POM Tony is offline D-Ticket Holder

Re: How to spend your arrival day

There is so much to do that you will have your head spinning.

My suggestion is take into consideration about your travels.
    In airport guessing at 145. Then to travel counter for magical express. On bus, off bus is about 30 to 45 minutes depending on the numbers like traffic and people on the bus and if your first to get off or the last. Altogether if we go with the 145 travel you will be checked in and ready to park-hop by 300.

(remember to eat and drink too!!)

If you could get the 7 or 8 am flights you will be in the park by 12 and just in time to eat and take it all in. Make those reservations ASAP 407-WDW DINE. See what is available. Remember to call the in the morning day you want to go too you may grab a cancellation that is a better time for you and free up your time for someone else!!!

Grab a good spot for wishes. I prefer the bridge from the hub to "Tomorrow Land". Tinker bell flies over this on her flight if she is flying that night.

What I do with my Little Princess is get her in and situated, (fed + potty and maybe a swim) Then we walk around one park and see all the stuff.

It is going to be magical. So walk and take in the dream of a Father and let his work for his kids benefit you and yours!!!!
    Last edited by POM Tony; 09-05-2010 at 01:04 PM.
    "Fortuosity, That's me Own word..."

When I went to Disney for the first time there was a Magic I felt. I could do anything or be anything. No feeling would ever top this......

Then I took my daughter.

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

I'm a local and haven't done Magical Express, so I can't comment any on that, but as far as what rides you will be able to get on..... anything. It all just comes down to how long you're willing to wait in line. Space Mountain and Buzz will likely have longer lines by that time.

I'd definitely make those ADR's as soon as possible. Restaurants tend to go pretty quick.

I would like to suggest something though: Unless you're an annual passholder or seasonal passholder, I'd highly recommend not going to Magic Kingdom the day you get there. Instead I would just get settled in at the hotel, maybe have a relaxing few hours in the pool or go to Downtown Disney. This is just me, but paying for a ticket on a day-by-day basis, I'd hate to spend $82 and not get my monies worth out of the park because I didn't get into the park until 3:00. If you have one of those passes though that I mentioned, it wouldn't be quite a waste of money. This comes down to a personal choice though on how you want to spend your tickets and money and if its worth it to you to spend $82 for 6-7 hours when you could spend that money/ticket and get 12 hours if you wait until the next day.
    Last edited by Flrancho; 09-05-2010 at 02:19 PM.

Mike Fink is offline C-Ticket Holder

Here's what we like to do, but everyone's different so it may not be your bag.

One, we hit the hotel pool to baptize ourselves and to wash away travel cooties. We exit the pool born again and head to the MK. First stop, Aloha Isle for Dole Whips. We relax, we congratulate ourselves for making it back to WDW, then we relax some more. Then we do one favorite ride, usually Small World.

If there's some time for a nice dinner, we'll usually take the monorail to the Poly and go to Kona. It's better than any restaurant in the MK. Then we watch Wishes from the Poly beach and then head straight back to the hotel for much-needed sleep.

Watching Wishes the the MK is fun, but you have to fight the crowd to get out. I'm usually not in the mood for that the first day. I'm all about taking it easy the first night and soaking things in.

tmbcole is offline C-Ticket Holder

I think you might be a little ambitious. You can probably get a through a lot of the attractions you mentioned, but it really depends on the crowd level and traffic.

We always use Magical Express and I would say that we are at our resort approx a little over an hour after we land at MCO. You'll then have to get checked in (use online check-in if you can), find your room if it's ready and then you're off to MK. Everything you mentioned is in the same general area, so that will obviously help. The only thing you'll probably have any length of wait is on Space Mountain. Try getting a fast pass for Space Mountain . . . and then go to another attraction while you're waiting for your time for Space Mountain.

Have a great time.
    Tina Cole

jmulkey is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks to all that replied. It has helped. We think we have a handle on the planning now. We will go to MK, but not stay for Wishes on the 1st night. We decided that if the kids could do a few things and eat a good supper and feel some magic it would be a good first day.

We plan to head back to hotel relatively early and get some rest.

Mike Fink is offline C-Ticket Holder

And I think Flrancho makes a great point about not wasting a day's pass on your first day. Unless you're an AP holder you may be better off staying out of the parks. You can always get a Dole Whip at the Poly . . . and you can watch Wishes from the Poly beach (with sound piped in). Or you can hang out and relax at your hotel. It may be your only chance to spend some non-sleep time there during your visit.

Bottom line about Disney: relax, take your time, enjoy what you can get to and don't fret about 'missing' stuff. You could spend a whole year there and not see everything. Quality not quantity. Have a great time with your family and make some memories, that's what really counts.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

If you don't want to spend a ticket on the first day, make your way over to the Beach Club and celebrate at Beaches & Cream followed by a stroll around the Boardwalk before heading back and getting ready for your first day in the parks.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I never waste a ticket on the first or last day of my trip. Last day is spent at DTD shopping for last-minute things I couldn't find in the parks, and then having lunch.

On my first day, I'll stop along the way and have lunch somewhere, then head to Walmart to do my shopping for the week. Then I drop off my luggage and relax until check-in time.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.