Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Great Movie Ride Update in the Vacation Planning forums; One of the themes that come up from time to time is the dated nature of GMR and should it undergo a major updating to include more contemporary movies. I’d ...
    Rick Blaine is offline B-Ticket Holder

Great Movie Ride Update

One of the themes that come up from time to time is the dated nature of GMR and should it undergo a major updating to include more contemporary movies. I’d like to hear some comments on this, but in my opinion it should not be updated with more contemporary movies for the following reasons:

• · It is the Great Movie Ride, not the Trendy Movie Ride

• · The entire theming of DHS is the legendary Hollywood of the 30s and 40s. The scenes in GMR reinforce this.

• · There should always be something in the parks for people over 13 years of age. There are certainly references for kids in the Parks I don’t understand (Who or what is a “High School Musical” for instance?)

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

Re: Great Movie Ride Update

I agree
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

mini-V is offline Home at last near Mickey!

I agree. If you aren't familiar with the movies, it's time you locate a copy.
    mini-V What will you celebrate?

Adult daycare for the kid inside you.

Mr_Toad is offline B-Ticket Holder

I am going to disagree. Not because I want to be argumentative, but for the sake of possibly providing another point of view. You are absolutely correct that the films that make up the ride are classics and deserve their place in history, and I do NOT want to see a major overhaul. I am in my 20's and have made it a point to see many of the movies that are highlighted in the ride, and recognize Casablanca as one of my top 3. However, recently there have been films made that are not only incredibly significant in the film industry, but are making their mark in the history of movies. As you enter the ride you pass directly under a marquee that says "A Spectacular Journey Into The Movies" , and while I may not have cared for each of these films I feel they may have a place here, that being said I think there is room for a few additions:

- Titanic - A major blockbuster that won more awards, and was received by the public as a mega film, like one not seen in years.

- Spider-Man or Batman - An easy way to incorporate the addition of Marvel into the parks. Whether you want them here or not, these comic book films were big $ makers and are a different segment that has not been touched yet. If you prefer to use the Batman films from the early 90's or the new ones, I still think the "superhero genre" can be tapped into.

- Pirates of the Caribbean - It is tough to think of this movie as trendy, seeing that it has already been a trilogy and there is a 4th coming soon. It was a huge Disney film and again, in a genre that hasn't really been touched.

- Avatar - I did not like this movie. And yes it is very new, and even I cringe a little at adding this to the list. That being said, it is tough to argue with a film that raked in nearly $3B and really can be attributed to starting the 3D craze. Maybe it needs time to really grow on me or the craze needs to last longer than the Beta player, but for the time being I think it is at least note worthy.

- E.T./Back to the Future/Top Gun - All are iconic films of the 80's and I would find it hard to argue any of their places in film lore.

- Animation - I know that there is the Animation tour for this category, but I still think it might be an interesting genre to use. I believe the only mention of animation is a glimpse of Mickey in Fantasia. If that's all you want to use then by all means, but I think there may be a few more bits you could add.

- Rocky - The original spawned 5 sequels. (whether any of them were any good is another argument) That should give it credit enough.

- Comedy - Why not include a segment for films that make you laugh? Pick one, National Lampoon ..., Young Frankenstein, Caddyshack, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, Monty Python... These films are classic comedies, and do not fall victim to today's "trendy" comedies.

I don't disagree that DHS has a theme from the 30's and 40's, and that there are scenes from GMR that support this. But it also has themes from more recent films. The Backlot Tour, Lights...Motors...Action, and Star Tours are different themes found in the park, and on the ride the Sci-Fi flick Alien and Westerns with John Wayne and Clint Eastwood also differ.

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

A very interesting discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Toad View Post
    However, recently there have been films made that are not only incredibly significant in the film industry, but are making their mark in the history of movies.
    I think the problem with this whole concept of updating the GMR, indeed the problem with Disney MGM from the very beginning (aside from the underhandedness of the project as a whole), is in terms of obtaining the operational rights to such films. For the most part, I assume they would be cost-prohibitive.

Spider-Man or Batman - An easy way to incorporate the addition of Marvel into the parks. Whether you want them here or not, these comic book films were big $ makers and are a different segment that has not been touched yet.
    The point I would make is that, whether Disney fans choose to accept it or not, the Spiderman attraction at Islands of Adventure is commonly regarded within the themed-entertainment industry as one of the finest theme-park attractions ever built. It has also proved its white-hot popularity in polls conducted by respected sources.

Accordingly, I cannot see Disney ever attempting to build a Spiderman attraction themselves, if the stars and planets were to allign for such a thing to ever happen, purely on account of this. It would be like attempting to win the lottery twice, and Disney just does not have that kind of courage anymore amongst its management.

The rumour-mill is already in overload about Universal preparing an offer for this.

E.T./Back to the Future
    That will not - and cannot - happen for very obvious reasons.

But as an aside, Imagineers have already built attractions for both of those films... they just didn't happen to be on Disney property...

Animation - I know that there is the Animation tour for this category, but I still think it might be an interesting genre to use. I believe the only mention of animation is a glimpse of Mickey in Fantasia.
    Now this is where I agree with you!

Personally, I think the entire place has missed a trick, and has been doing so since the very beginning. Why attempt to farm out the park to other studios' productions?

There is more than enough successful material sitting under Disney's own feet already.

Why is it not being used on a grander scale? Now that the park is "Disney Hollywood Studios" (or whatever)... even more reason to go all-out. Disney has decades and decades of cell-animation, live-action and now Pixar's efforts with which to fill a series of parks, let alone one.

Use them!
    Last edited by 20K; 03-06-2011 at 03:38 PM.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney