Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Where/What do CMs eat? in the Vacation Planning forums; I have wondered about this for a long time, but never think about asking a CM when I am at the parks: Are there special restaurants for CMs, and/or do ...
    Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL

Where/What do CMs eat?

I have wondered about this for a long time, but never think about asking a CM when I am at the parks:

Are there special restaurants for CMs, and/or do they brown bag it? If there are special restuarants, what is on the menu and what do CMs pay?

Anyone know?

JLTraveling is offline C-Ticket Holder
    At WDW, as at all of the theme parks, there are special CM only cafeterias. At the MK, the cafeteria is located in the tunnels. At the other parks, they are in various easily accessible backstage areas. The food is quite good, comparable to what is served to guests in the parks, and CMs pay cost or just above...perhaps $3-$4 for a full meal including beverage. The menu is pretty varied, with daily specials as well as the usual burgers, salads, hot dogs, sandwiches, etc.

They also have the option of bringing lunch. There are break areas throughout the parks with refrigerators and microwaves, or they can use the microwaves at the cafeteria.

Jiminy Cricket is offline Ultimate Park "Hopper"
    1,015 miles from WDW in Central Indiana; Windermere FL
    Quote Originally Posted by JLTraveling
    At WDW, as at all of the theme parks, there are special CM only cafeterias. At the MK, the cafeteria is located in the tunnels. At the other parks, they are in various easily accessible backstage areas. The food is quite good, comparable to what is served to guests in the parks, and CMs pay cost or just above...perhaps $3-$4 for a full meal including beverage. The menu is pretty varied, with daily specials as well as the usual burgers, salads, hot dogs, sandwiches, etc.

They also have the option of bringing lunch. There are break areas throughout the parks with refrigerators and microwaves, or they can use the microwaves at the cafeteria.
    Thanx for the info. I was beginning to wonder if this question was ever going to be answered.
    Lord High Keeper of the Knowledge of Right and Wrong, Counselor in Moments of Temptation, and Guide along the Straight and Narrow Path and Oldest Active DWT/WDW Radio Member

DL: 1955* (1); WDW: 1977* (2), 1980* (2), 1985* (3), 1989* (3), 1996 (ASMu-3), 1999 (ASMo-3), 2000 (ASMu-2/PO-2), 2001 (ASMu-5), 2002 (ASMu-5), 2003 (ASMo-5), 2004* (8), 2004 (ASMo-8), 2005 (PC-10), 2006* (15), 2007* (20), 2008* (22), 2009* (26), 2010* (27), 2011* (32), 2012* (39), 2013* (36), 2013* (15), 2013* (9), 2013* (13), 2014* (40) 2014 (11) Total Trips/Days = 27/364

*Off Property

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    Didn't see your question, sorry. The break rooms also have vending machines (including the famous wheels of death! - find out the expiry date AFTER you buy the sandwich!)..

If you take the Keys to the Kingdom tour, I believe you get to see at least one of the MK CM food locations; Backstage Magic goes by at least, two, IIRC.

The food's not bad - though a lot of CMs do bring food; it's cheaper, generally healthier, and often more convenient. It can be a hike out to the cafeteria. It used to be run by Aramark food service, though I believe that may have changed. I know there's now a Subway in the MK cast cafe.
    Last edited by Sam I Am; 06-08-2005 at 12:26 AM.

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    I can personally vouch that there is a cast member cafeteria somewhere in the area behind the China/Norway pavilions at EPCOT. I was lucky enough to be asked out on a date by the loveliest waitress in all of Nine Dragons restaurant (near as I can tell, the World Showcase is THE place to meet women), and who was I to turn her down? Thing was, I'd be picking her up the next day right after her shift, but my wallet was gettin' kinda thin, so taking her to the Ritz was out. She saved the day by taking charge; leading the way beyond the CAST MEMBERS ONLY door to the chow hall. That was an experience. With employees in various states of costume dress and undress, it was almost like walking into the bar in Star Wars (or Denny's after midnight).

As I recall, the walls of the place were decorated with "propaganda" posters, and lists of tenents/ideals to good customer service.

A memory I wouldn't trade for anything; sitting in a far booth, sharing lo mein noodles and pizza with a knock-out from Bei-jing as we chatted between mouthfuls. At any rate, fear not--the CMs do indeed have pretty good facilities at their disposal.
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides

Tampa is offline No longer in service
    you're a very good story teller Ape! Very entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Ape
    With employees in various states of costume dress and undress, it was almost like walking into the bar in Star Wars (or Denny's after midnight).
    I'd of never known what you meant if you didn't say.... Denny's after midnight LOL!

Too bad the dinner date wasn't room service (breakfast), from a Grand Floridan luxurious dream.
    Last edited by Tampa; 06-17-2005 at 07:31 PM. Reason: I put [quote] [/img] LOL!!! curse you Pic A Day!!!!!!

The_Heat is offline Scourge of Lake Superior
    Quote Originally Posted by JLTraveling

There is another cafeteria, called the Backstage Bistro, located between the Plaza Restraunt and The Tomorrowland Noodle Station.
    All the people will look up and shout: "Save us!" and I'll whisper...'no'.

Who watches the watchmen?

Sam I Am is offline L'Originale - Keeping you behind the rope
    The patio!

Conceited Ape is offline 6 out of 7 dwarves aren't happy.
    Thanks for the kind words, Tampa.

A room service breakfast, Grand Floridian-style? That'd be dreaming way out of my league, but maybe one of these days.

Truth to tell, I'm giving some serious consideration to grabbing a few pals and making a run for the Florida border tonight, just so I can A: treat them to a few laughs before I transfer to the opposite coast and B: properly say goodbye to the loveliest waitress in EPCOT.

Flyin' by the seat of my pants here, the ONLY way to travel. "I dunno, I'm makin' this up as I go!"
    "The society that draws too great of a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will end up having its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools." --probably Thucydides