Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Most overrated attractions in the Vacation Planning forums; What do you feel are some of the most overrated attractions at each park? Maybe it's popular by guests, or Disney promotes it a lot, or whatever...you can mention several... ...
    clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Most overrated attractions

What do you feel are some of the most overrated attractions at each park? Maybe it's popular by guests, or Disney promotes it a lot, or whatever...you can mention several...

For me:

MK: Overrated to ME would be the mountains...but then again, I don't do roller coasters well at all so that would explain that. Monsters Inc. can be added also.

EPCOT: Overrated would be Mission: SPACE, green at least (then again, though, has it really been THAT popular?) and Test Track. I really failed to see the hype with TT, seemed like a big GM advertisement to me that breaks down a lot with huge lines.

Hollywood Studios: Tower of Terror. Maybe because I'm not a big thrill seeker.

Not sure about AK, I'm neither here or there with it. Haven't been there in a while, actually not many times at all so I can't comment on it. I don't remember finding anything really overrated there.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Re: Most overrated attractions

Any attraction, ride or show, featuring Stitch. They all seem so awful.

20K is offline Brought to you by Dock Thrust

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    Any attraction, ride or show, featuring Stitch. They all seem so awful.
    Haha, yes. Agreed!

Personally...

Magic Kingdom: Probably Pirates, IMHO. You can tell that it was never supposed to have been there in the first place...

EPCOT: Mission Space.

MGM (Sorry, stuck in my ways): Great Movie Ride.

"I really hope that people won't cherry-pick my quotes in the future
    and use them out of context to justify things that I would never sign-off on."

- Walt Disney

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by 20K View Post
    Haha, yes. Agreed!

Personally...

Magic Kingdom: Probably Pirates, IMHO. You can tell that it was never supposed to have been there in the first place...

EPCOT: Mission Space.

MGM (Sorry, stuck in my ways): Great Movie Ride.
    Agreed with Pirates... but mine isnt there...

MK: its a small world... please a boat ride listening to arguably the most agonizing song ever...

Epcot: Mission Space... i agree with everyone here...

MGM: Backlot Tour... it is time to go... its really not overrated... everyone knows its trash now...

AK: Dinosaur... sorry overrated...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Cortini is offline Annual Passholder

MK: agree on small world and i also think that peter pan is a bit over rated i like the ride in all but i am not willing to wait an hour + for it

Epcot: Captain EO yes it is kinda cool but it is time for it to go.........again..........

AK: Primeval Whirl i like the ride and again not willing to wait hour+

MGM: Agree on great movie ride
    D23 Charter Member~Castaway Club Member~DVC Member @ Wilderness Lodge & Saratoga Springs~Pin Trader~Vinylmation Collector

"A wish is a powerful thing especially when it comes from the heart."

Finally figured out most of my travel histoy!
    2012- March- 4 nights at Wilderness Lodge then 3 nights at Bay Lake Tower
    2011- March- 5 nights at Treehouse Villas then 2 nights at Bay Lake Tower
    2010- March- 6 nights at Saratoga Springs then 1 night at Bay Lake Tower.
    2010- July- 7 nights at Saratoga Springs.
    2009- March- 9 nights at Boardwalk Villas.

2009- October- 2 nigths at Dolphin then
    Disney Wonder- 3-Night Bahamian Cruise (w/ a friend who I met on the Magic cruise)
    2008- March- Disney Magic- 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Cruise (1st cruise ever)
    2008- November- 5 nights at Coronado Springs
    2007- March- 9 nights at Wilderness
    2007- November- 2 nights at Swan
    2006-1998 Yearly Trips sometimes two trips a year at various resorts which are the following(resort (# of times not previously stated))-
    Saratoga Springs (1), Contemporary( Tower (1), Garden Wing (2 i think)), All-Star Movies(1 night then on the another hotel), All- Star Music (1), Wilderness Lodge (Lodge (1), Villas (?)) Coronado Springs (1), Animal Kingdom Lodge (1)

Has Mission: SPACE ever lived up to what it was supposed to be? Disney really hyped it in the early 00's but it's not the huge destination that it seems like they thought it would be. I can think of other attractions at EPCOT that are more popular....actually, I consider M:S to be one of the lesser of them in popularity. It's not that great.

I will join in agreement on Stitch.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

Mine:

MK: Astro Orbiter & Dumbo

Epcot: Mission: Space, Seas w/ Nemo (not the old Living Seas), and Test Track

DHS: Sounds Dangerous, Star Tours, and Toy Story Mania

AK: Primeval Whirl, TriceraTop Spin, and Dinosaur. Yes, I'm a learner. I like AK for the learning experience vs. ride attractions.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

I would agree with the Backlot Tour. I haven't bothered with that for years.

It doesn't surprise me that Dinosaur has been flagged up. I absolutely adore it myself, but I can easily see how someone could consider it over-rated.

As for Mission Space, I think it's a classic case of Excellent Concept; Poor Execution.

- Walt Disney

LisaAnn is offline C-Ticket Holder

I have to agree with Peter Pan being overrated...i mean, its a great ride, but i dont think its necessary to wait for hours and hours for it. Maybe thats just me.....
    ~Lisa~
    DCP Fall 2012: Strollers/Main Entrance Merchandise, Magic Kingdom
    Vacations to WDW: 20
    Vacations to DL: 2

I never understand why that line is so long. Granted, Toad was still part of the Fantasyland landscape when I last went on Peter Pan, but isn't it a continuously-cycling ride? Are the crew just "un-slick" when it comes to loading and unloading?

- Walt Disney

toweristops is offline A-Ticket holder

Maelstrom - good for a break on a really hot day but just doesn't cut it for me

Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor - love the movie but this is only semi-successful and not worth the time (unlike complete fail that is Stitch)

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

I would agree with the Backlot Tour. I haven't bothered with that for years.

It doesn't surprise me that Dinosaur has been flagged up. I absolutely adore it myself, but I can easily see how someone could consider it over-rated.

As for Mission Space, I think it's a classic case of Excellent Concept; Poor Execution.
    see i think of dinosuar was the indy ride people would justify it being an hour long wait...

and your right about mission:space... it had a great idea just not put together all that well...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

Exactly. Is it even very popular? Seems like you hear more about Spaceship Earth, Soarin, Living With The Land, Test Track than M:S. I don't think the "green" version helped a lot. Heck....it almost seems forgotten. Last time we went down there I don't think I even noticed it. Everything I heard about was Soarin and the new SSE. I love the idea of a space themed attraction, but what I would like to have seen is totally different than what they did.

Certainly not attraction of the decade like it was nearly promoted to be.

I agree about Maelstrom - I like it, but people seem to really love it....it doesn't do a ton for me. Just another boat ride but the mini-drops are fun.

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost

MK: Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin. I've never thought this ride was that great. I think that Toy Story Mania may have been the nail in the coffin for Buzz. The technology at TSM makes Buzz seem really dated now, and not in a good nostalgic way, either. There's more rides at MK that I don't necessarily care for, but I don't think they are overrated, either. I get the feeling that only first-timers go on Stitch, haha.

EPCOT Center: Mission: Space is lame. I know I'm just echoing what everyone else has said, but I have genuinely tried to like this ride, even though it displaced my beloved Horizons. I love space travel, and I love the idea of a space travel simulator, but the execution just isn't that great. The screen is too small and the movie you watch just looks too fake. Also, the centrifuge would have to spin too fast to achieve true weightlessness, which would greatly limit who could safely ride it. Once again, I don't know if it is overrated (because there is rarely a long line for it), but I'd rather ride Maelstrom a thousand times more than M:S.

MGM: I think Star Tours and the Indy Stunt Show are both overrated, and it's a genuine shame because those are two of my all-time favorite movie franchises. I'm looking forward to the new Star Tours, though, and I'm hoping that perhaps we may one day get the Indy ride that they have in DL, which is truly incredible.

Animal Kingdom: Primeval Whirl is fairly overrated. I don't understand why Disney, and other major theme parks, are so in love with the idea of creating cheap-looking replicas of carnival midways. Well, I do understand it ($$$$$). Regardless, I always hate these areas of theme parks. I don't go to the fair when it is in town, and I don't care to spend $75/day to visit one while on vacation. That said, lots of folks love PW, but I just don't care for the standard "Virginia Reel" type of coasters. I was also a bit disappointed with the Nemo musical, but I'm sure Nemo fans love it.
    Last edited by the7thAve; 03-05-2011 at 01:54 PM. Reason: grammar

If we can dream it, we can do it

Quote Originally Posted by the7thAve
    Primeval Whirl is fairly overrated. I don't understand why Disney, and other major theme parks, are so in love with the idea of creating cheap-looking replicas of carnival midways.
    Imagineering absolutely despises it; same for most of DCA.

These are off-the-shelf "kit" attractions, glorified mail-order products, and they represent the very sort of experiences that Walt Disney was deliberately trying to avoid in creating Disneyland.

- Walt Disney

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast