Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss The World Has Changed in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by firemedic My wife and I have our phones with us, but it's ONLY for coordinating meeting times with other family members in the park. Other than that, ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Re: The World Has Changed

Quote Originally Posted by firemedic View Post
    My wife and I have our phones with us, but it's ONLY for coordinating meeting times with other family members in the park. Other than that, I don't answer ANY calls or texts.
    Us as well if we split up (which is very rare). We'll have them on us this time because we anticipate splitting up from the teenagers this go-round. Still, I'd be hanging up on them if I saw a character interacting like that.

There are always extenuating circumstances for some people. I too have been in that place that Doconeil was referring to earlier where you just have to have it on you and be on it. For some reason though I don't think that was the case with these girls. LOL
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

WDW4Ever is offline Annual Passholder

I take my phone in but most everyone knows that I'm visiting one of the parks that day or week because I won't shut up about it. I send out mass picture texts just to share the magic but I respond to no texts. I rarely get phone calls anyway even at home because I text everyone.
    "If you can dream it you can do it."
    -Tom Fitzgerald
    D23 Charter Member

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I don't talk on my phone much, but when I'm at WDW, I'm so caught up in it that my phone is the last thing I think of!
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

My familys phones are all on silent the whole time , no outside world at all , gotta love it
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

the7thAve is offline Pepper's Ghost

I am seriously considering getting a landline and cancelling my cellphone. The only thing holding me back are those two looming, scary words: "CAR TROUBLE".

We leave our phones in the room, then check our messages at the end of the day to ensure we didn't miss anything important.

That said, I try my best to not let other people bother me. I'm just as annoyed as everyone else when I see people glued to their cellphone (and secretly hope that the new cancer scare is frighteningly true). If I really dwell on it, I can really get myself all worked up, but then their annoying behavior starts to infringe on my good time and my vacation, and I refuse to let that happen.

If we can dream it, we can do it

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

Quote Originally Posted by TheH2s View Post
    I nominate this photo for the next caption contest.

Seriously though I agree with you. By the way..there are two people in that picture talking on their phones.

Maybe they are calling family members to run over there and see Stitch? Or they have a lost family member (like my DH would do) -

disneyfire is offline A-Ticket holder

Meh, I dont see it.
    We just got back from a 7 day trip and felt like the magic and everything about WDW was as good as ever.
    The parks were stunningly clean, we saw tons of characters...and i love the fastpass for Mickey Minnie and the Princesses.....it is a big help when one doesnt want to stand in line with little ones.
    As far as the "technology thing"......isnt the cell phones just an extention of SSE?
    I really didnt see any lost innocence or lack thereof of magic.
    And, who is paying attention to whom is using cell phones? Thats kinda odd.
    To me, and ive been going to wdw since 1975.....i was 5 then
    I think WDW/DLR has steadfastly maintained what they both were meant to be.
    Something different than your everyday theme park...Cleaner,Safer, More magical....and...they still are! By far the best vacation imho one can take.
    Last edited by disneyfire; 06-16-2011 at 11:44 PM.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

The saddest aspect of that photo has nothing to do with the people talking on cell phones...

Anybody else with me?

DAR
    DAR is offline Fastpass Holder

Don't forget most people also use their phones as a camera, send a Facebook or Tweet from the parks. But I used my mine mostly just to coordinate meeting times.
    WDW Radio Android App.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

unfortunately it is the world we live in today... we are all so enamored with the idea of being "connected" and able to tell everyone what we are dong and when... honestly i dont think people care that you are on vacation... post on your facebook that you are going away and put an away message on your email... everyone will understand... the only people who need to call you are your immediate family members if there is an emergency, and the people you are with in case you get lost... too many times i see people walking through WDW staring down at their phones and i know they will be regretting that when they get home... all the things they missed because they were buried inside a 2" by 3" screen...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer

I only used my phone at meals and that was texting my best friend tips and advice for her trip that she was leaving for. Other then that and a couple of facebook updates for my family, it was on silent and in my bag.

Back to the picture: I would love it if stitch was doing that when I was there, I would just hop right in and start playing with him.
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015

♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

The more I read these comments the more I find myself happy that I can't bring my phone on vacation... just cause I mean I know I WOULD use it at least sometimes to update my trip and answer texts. I'm forced to have ZERO connection to the outside world and just enjoy my vacation and it's great! Similarly, I don't bother bringing my laptop since there's no free wi-fi (or if I do bring it it's just to clear my memory card from my camera each night). I have never once on a trip wished that I had my phone on me... not once! I wonder how many people who aren't forced to leave their phones behind would do so (and not just on silent, I mean left back at home entirely)?

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Free wifi in limited locations:

High-Speed Internet Access at the Walt Disney World Resorts

The funny part about the phone thing for me is that I rarely use it in the "real world". I'd have to have been dropped on my head to take a cell phone into the park with me!

And really, the most disheartening thing about the picture is that's what Epcot has been reduced to.

JoshK47 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Free wifi in limited locations:

High-Speed Internet Access at the Walt Disney World Resorts

The funny part about the phone thing for me is that I rarely use it in the "real world". I'd have to have been dropped on my head to take a cell phone into the park with me!

And really, the most disheartening thing about the picture is that's what Epcot has been reduced to.

It really does upset me when I see people so distracted by their cell phones. I always have mine with me, but I make a point not to sit there and text or make phone calls. I'm there to have an escape from the world, and really don't want the real world seeping in unless there's an emergency. Not that I want it seeping in then, of course, either... but you get what I mean.

That's Tomorrowland, btw - you can see the Speedway in the back of the picture.

Good eye! Can't believe I missed that.

I was thinking about the balzac cart in Innoventions West when I saw that picture, so I think I made an assumption without looking a little closer at the picture.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast