Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss The World Has Changed in the Vacation Planning forums; This photo (from MouseSteps.com) shows just how much the world has changed since Walt's days. Back when I was a kid visiting WDW, the characters and sites were the main ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Thumbs down The World Has Changed

This photo (from MouseSteps.com) shows just how much the world has changed since Walt's days.

Back when I was a kid visiting WDW, the characters and sites were the main attraction. Now, seeing a character do something other than stand in a shady area, with a line of people in front of them for an autograph, is a pretty unusual thing. Me, if I saw this, I'd have my camera out, I'd be laughing and smiling and just thinking this was the coolest thing since sliced bread. Instead, here we have a woman within arms reach of Stitch, yapping away on her phone.

I miss the old world we used to live in. Before technology went and screwed it up (and this is coming from a person whose career in technology affords her trips to WDW and whose iPhone and laptop are her connection to the outside world).

There should be a rule... when you walk through those gates, you leave the outside world behind.

/rant off
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

TheH2s is offline B-Ticket Holder

Re: The World Has Changed

I nominate this photo for the next caption contest.

Seriously though I agree with you. By the way..there are two people in that picture talking on their phones.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH2s View Post
    By the way..there are two people in that picture talking on their phones.
    You're right!! Ugh!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

UBMICK35000 is offline B-Ticket Holder

Unhappy Re: The World Has Changed

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    There should be a rule... when you walk through those gates, you leave the outside world behind
    I thought that was why they don't sell newspapers in the parks!
    [indent]Who says you have to grow up? - Walt Disney

07 / 1990 off property
    09 / 1992 off property
    06 / 1997 Wilderness Lodge
    07 / 2000 Port Orleans
    06 / 2002 Wilderness Lodge
    12 / 2003 Grand Floridian
    09 / 2005 Disneyland Hotel
    09 / 2006 Boardwalk
    06 / 2007 Contemporary
    06 / 2008 Riverside
    03 / 2009 Caribbean Beach
    10 / 2010 Yacht Club
    05 / 2011 Polynesian
    12 / 2011 Disneyland Hotel
    06 / 2012 Disney Magic
    05 / 2013 'Grand' Californian
    12 / 2013 'Grand' Floridian

2009 D23 Charter Member

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I spotted two on cellphones also and completely agree with you BamaJenn.

N.J.boy@N.C.St. is offline Fastpass Holder

I'm sorry...that's just sad...if that were me, I'd run over and try to steal the ball (not literally for good) from Stitch and have fun with it in the moment
    Follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/NJboyatNCstate

June 1997, July 2002, August 2005, August 2006, February 2008, July 2008, August 2008, June 2009, July 2010, November 2010, July 2011

2011 Trip Report:
    Part 1: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...nto-parks.html
    Part 2: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...7-23-11-a.html
    Part 3: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...24-7-26-a.html
    Part 4: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...e-already.html

Quote Originally Posted by N.J.boy@N.C.St. View Post
    I'm sorry...that's just sad...if that were me, I'd run over and try to steal the ball (not literally for good) from Stitch and have fun with it in the moment
    Exactly my point! Let go and immerse yourself in the moment. Get the darn electronic twin off your ear! The most I do with a cell phone while at the park is use it for a clock or take pictures.

eeyore1974 is offline B-Ticket Holder

I have a no phone rule when in WDW unless DH and I separate (each taking the kids to separate things) and use BBM just to locate each other. During our last trip, DH was checking his phone on day one from time to time answering email and it was put to a stop in a real hurry!! It's the happiest place on earth, a place where you leave work and "the outside world" behind to spend time with with the ones who matter most.

April 2001 - All Star Movies
    September 2002 - All Star Music
    May 2004 - Pop Century
    October 2006 - All Star Movies
    October 2008 - Pop Century (1 night solo tour)
    June 2010 - Pop Century

Hope to be taking a Cruise on Disney Magic in 2012...fingers crossed.

DHI
    DHI is offline C-Ticket Holder

There was one time that my family and I were in line for Maelstrom and the ride stopped temporarily... Everyone in line was on their cell phone and I mean EVERYONE!!! It was and epic fail on our parts...
    Wishin' I was in the World

What will you CELEBRATE!

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

Sometimes, the outside world seeps in, no matter how hard you try to block it out.

Back in mid 2006, I was that guy on the phone in the middle of the Animation Courtyard at then MGM. It was a particularly lousy year to that point - I lost my job, my mother passed away, DW's grandmother passed away, and I got screwed over by a recruiter within a 2 week span. We needed that vacation. Fortunately I had another job to pay for it by then.

The estate lawyers knew I was down there on a very necessary vacation, but they had to call me - I was trying to sell my mother's house, and the prospective buyer was being a - well, I'm not sure I'm allowed to say it here. HE knew I was on vacation, and was demanding things be signed within 24 hours or he was going to demand concessions or pull out, so I was out there, on the phone, wanting to scream my head off about things that would probably have gotten me at least a meeting with Security...I was about to tell the lawyers what they could tell him to do with his paperwork and cancel the deal, but the lawyers managed to calm me down. The CMs back at the Poly were incredibly helpful, helping me get and send faxes and everything, and get everything sorted out.

Beyond "Where are you?" calls, I only ever got called one other time in the parks...
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

I work at Starbucks and today a woman was talking on her phone while coming through the drive-thru... and she paid and drove off without her ($6) drink because she wasn`t paying attention. Twice. Seriously, the exact same women did it in the morning and then 5 hours later cause she was on her phone! It was funny but uggghh it is SO incredibly rude to me that people won`t even bother putting away their phone for 30 seconds of human interaction!

I`m glad I can`t have my phone on trips to Disney since I`m Canadian and the roaming charges are outrageous- I leave my phone back home which is where it belongs on vacation The only time I ever turned on a cell phone was when I got engaged, and it was two quick calls to my parents and my fiance`s.

disneycrazy1956 is offline Fastpass Holder

I agree with what everyone is saying, we leave the phones in the room safe unless we know we are splitting during the day. Only use them for getting picked up at the airport. Besides, I want to enjoy every second in the parks and forget about work and cell phones and the real world.
    In summer 2008 people were even on their phones on attractions; thank goodness that at least has seemed to change the last couple of times we were in WDW.
    "I just want it to look like nothing else in the world... and it should be surrounded by a train" -Walt Disney.
    90 CB, 92 DI, 94 CR, 97 FWC, 99 CS, 00 CS, 02 CS, 04 POR, 05 POR, 07 POR, 08 POFQ, 09 POR, 11 POR.

Evilduckqueen is offline Annual Passholder

I'll be leaving my phone behind in the resort we are staying at. While we are out and about in the parks it will be a technology free honeymoon (except for taking photos with the camera, that is!)
    I don't see why people go on vacation and spend most of the time on the phone. With the exception of Doconeill, of course.
    "You're dead if you aim only for kids. Adults are only kids grown up, anyway."

malt is offline Fastpass Holder

I'd only use mine if I managed to lose my wife (even then I might think twice )

Other than that, it's just if any of the restaraunts I've booked with need to call me about my reservations.

I work for a phone company and outside of hours avoid the things like the plague.

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

My wife and I have our phones with us, but it's ONLY for coordinating meeting times with other family members in the park. Other than that, I don't answer ANY calls or texts.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast