Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Animal Kingdom in the Vacation Planning forums; As you continue in your travels amongst Disney forums and blogs you'll find that of all the parks, Animal Kingdom carries with it the most unusual feelings. Some people dislike ...
    BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Question Animal Kingdom

As you continue in your travels amongst Disney forums and blogs you'll find that of all the parks, Animal Kingdom carries with it the most unusual feelings. Some people dislike it, some love it and would go there over any other, some go for just certain attractions and still others have never been and refuse to go.

It's always been a curiosity of mine so I'm posing the question. Why do you like/love/hate/dislike Animal Kingdom?
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Re: Animal Kingdom

I'll go first...

We aren't huge fans of AK but we do enjoy certain aspects of it. We love the Nemo show, Dinosaur, the Safari and Everest but for us the turn off is the layout. It seems in many cases you have to double back to get to/from certain attractions. Additionally, the layout coupled with the foliage often create spaces where air gets stagnant and doesn't move. On a hot Florida afternoon, it's just miserable.
    Last edited by BamaJenn; 06-10-2011 at 11:58 AM.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Somewhat confusing layout and there's just not enough attractions to keep our interest. Don't get me wrong, the big attractions are great, but there are some parts that look like the Imagineers were trying to "fill in" quickly.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

N.J.boy@N.C.St. is offline Fastpass Holder

I have to admit, I'm not the absolute biggest fan of Animal Kingdom. It is definitely an interesting place. When I go there it's do the usual, Everest, Safari, Lion King show, and a couple others. But I've never stayed an entire day or have gone multiple times in a visit (except last year, did a day there plus was there on my 4-park day). But there are some definitely neat things that I've seen there. It's not to be overlooked, but on a somewhat lesser crowded day, you can breeze through the park, and still take in everything it has to offer.
    Follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/NJboyatNCstate

June 1997, July 2002, August 2005, August 2006, February 2008, July 2008, August 2008, June 2009, July 2010, November 2010, July 2011

2011 Trip Report:
    Part 1: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...nto-parks.html
    Part 2: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...7-23-11-a.html
    Part 3: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...24-7-26-a.html
    Part 4: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...e-already.html

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I don't hate it, but it's not my favorite. When we were there a week or so ago, we left there saying we should have gone to the MK instead. I like the atmosphere and the detail of it all but I just don't love it enough like I do the other 3 parks.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

ImaMouser is offline D-Ticket Holder

I am of the opinion that the park needs some major investments. There isn't enough to keep a family entertained for a full day. Dinosaur, Expedition: Everest, Kali River Rapids, The Safari, Festival of The Lion KIng. That's about it. Half day, at best.

As the excitement grows for the new Fantasyland, I believe that the money for the expansion in MK could have been better spent in AK. MK is always gonna draw huge crowds as it has plenty of attractions. AK is just lacking enough Umph to merit more than half a day visit even if you're staying a week.

I won't say I hate it. I just tire of it quickly. Give me multiple days at MK and EPCOT and one day at DHS, half day at AK.
    Walt is the man, Mickey is the mouse but Minnie is THE WOMAN

Prince Charming is offline B-Ticket Holder

Animal Kingdom

I remember visiting the park for the first time in 2000 and thought that it was a unique concept, but it does have a design flaw - size. It is laid out similar to the Magic Kingdom, but at about 5 times the land mass. Getting from one "land" to another is an expedition! Obviously some of this is for crowd disbursement and future expansion, but Imagineering might have over-planned here. Perhaps a remedity to this problem would be to introduce a similar boat system like Epcot uses in World Showcase Lagoon. Yes they tried one that failed many years ago, but it was not designed for capacity.

I wonder which park will get the next big investment: AK or DHS.

Welcome to the Magic Kingdom!

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

its deff unique and cool if you love animals ......but I dont lol I really just go there for everest, dinosaur ride and the safari . They need more attractions and then it will be at the top of my list
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

Love it - it's my favourite of all the Disney parks and hubby and I can easily spend three full days here. The animal exhibits are really good and there are plenty of attractions to keep you busy. I never understand people who say it's a 'half-day park'... they're clearly missing a huge chunk of the things to see/do there. Slow down and smell the roses as Lou says...
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

mouselover4ever is offline A-Ticket holder

I honestly was surprised by how much I enjoyed AK. My last trip was my first since it had opened and while I knew I wanted to spend time there because I had never been, I was surprised that I enjoyed it as much as I did--so much that on our "wild card" day where we had planned to revisit our favorite park our choice was AK. It is now my fave besides MK, which I believe will always be my favorite for nostalgic reasons.

I love the overall feel of AK, the shows and attractions are top notch (especially Lion King and EE), and the animal exhibits are superb. When I return I hope they are still offering the Wild Africa Trek and I am considering a behind the scenes tour of AK. I love it!
    happily afflicted with DOCD (Disney Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)

disneymaniac87 is offline Counting Down To My Next Trip!

I enjoy Animal Kingdom. It has gotten better now that they've added Expedition Everest. I did not like the park at all when I first went and I think it's a bear to deal with in the hot summer months. It seems like it's a park that you can NEVER get away from the heat.

I have heard that when it isn't as crowded and hot, AK is very enjoyable. My parents went in December 2 yrs ago and loved AK. They enjoyed being able to walk through the Treks without sweating and worrying about dehydration or heat exhaustion. They enjoyed not being pushed around because of the crowds. I feel like Animal Kingdom is a park you could enjoy when it isn't as crowded like it is in the summer months.

I think the whole HEster and Chester area is stupid and really shouldn't be there. They could utilize that space in such a better way. The whole Carnival/State Fair type them just doesn't fit into the themes of the rest of the park. I dislike it and try to avoid that area.
    *Sarah*
    My Disney Vacations
    '92, '93, '94, '96, '97, '99, '03, '05, '06, '09, '10, '11, '12(x2)

"All you need is faith and trust..."

SnwhtNdwrfs is offline Dancing with the dwarfs!
    Being entertained by the voices in my head

I like AK but it is not one I go to more than once a trip. I like the SAfari, if I don't have to wait in line. I love Everest and go on the single rider line every time. Finding Nemo is good but if I miss the time, I am not heartbroken. Dinosaur is okay if I am with my sons but DD hates it. Never been to the Camp Minnie/Mickey area. Never ridden the train. Tough to be a Bug is a must do.

But really other than eating at Yak and Yeti or Flame Tree- not a fan of the food choices. I will eat breakfast at Tusker House. But nothing really draws me to this park. Maybe it is because I can't visualize exactly where the layout is. Doesn't seem to flow as well to me. But then again, it is supposed to be a jungle.