Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss How do you handle World Showcase? in the Vacation Planning forums; I'm curious to hear how everyone visits World Showcase. Unless there is a specific snack, gift, or character I'm after, I really don't bother browsing, say, Japan or Italy. I ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

How do you handle World Showcase?

I'm curious to hear how everyone visits World Showcase. Unless there is a specific snack, gift, or character I'm after, I really don't bother browsing, say, Japan or Italy. I don't even stop to see the shows every time I'm there, so O Canada and that little China movie are never a must (come to think of it, I honestly have never bothered with them even once). So, do you visit every single country and gift shop? Are the countries there for your dining purposes only? Do you simply walk the lagoon and get in the exercise? Do you just walk and visit things that catch your eyes/ears as you are passing?

For me overall, I pretty much just walk around the lagoon from either side (doesn't really matter which way I head) and see what's around. If Maelstrom has a long line, no big deal. There's always next year. If I've ridden Mexico's Gran Fiesta Tour within the past two or three years, I usually won't bother going again. Sometimes I'll stop for one of those cheap snow cones near Japan and then just keep walking until I've done the complete loop.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: How do you handle World Showcase?

We love World Showcase. It's one of favorite things to do. Quite honestly, even though we've been to all the different countries there, there are some attractions we've never seen. There are even a few countries we just pass by. We don't have a preference on what side we start with. Depends on where we happen to be at the time. My wife likes to shop, big surprise, so I usually just follower her around. Though, come to think of it, we don't usually walk out with many if any shopping bags.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

We usually just cruise through and check out things that catch our eye. We always do Maelstrom and Gran Fiesta though. But we don't catch all the movies from China, Canada, etc. DW loves the shops in Japan, China, England, and Germany.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

FritzTiki is offline A-Ticket holder

it depends if I am entering from the front of the park or from International Gateway. If I am entering from the front of the park then I start in Mexico and work my way around. I always wander through every pavilion in case something changed since the last time I was there and I happened to miss it. I don't always do the China movie but I do every other ride/attraction/movie every single time. If I am entering from The International Gateway then I start in France and work my way around that way, same plan as the first scenario lol.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

All these years of going to Epcot and I've yet to enter through the International Gateway. I really need to fix that some day.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

We actually entered through it for the first time last year. We had taken a friendship boat over from MGM and stopped at Beaches-n-Cream and walked over from there. It was really kinda weird, to be perfectly honest.

I've never been one to spend a lot of time in WS. Although, I plan to on our next trip just because I fear I might be missing something really cool somewhere. Man, we didn't even do the American Adventure last time. Only things we did was lunch at San Angel (hands down the best place to eat in the park, IMO), hit the tequila bar on the way out, grabbed some sushi at Yakatori later that night, and had lunch at the Rose & Crown our last day at the resort.

N.J.boy@N.C.St. is offline Fastpass Holder

I enjoy just walking through World Showcase...usually I make it a point to ride both the Gran Fiesta Tour in Mexico and Malestrom in Norway, and try to see if there's time to see the American Adventure...other than that, the other shows have never really interested me, though...normally I just walk through it, and just go somewhat inside each country snap a few pictures and move on..maybe I'll stop in a couple of the gift shops or snack stands along the way, but I never really spend an immense amount of time going through each individual country...maybe I'll spend some more time in 1 or 2 countries, but definitely not a lot of time in all 11...it still lets me see all of them, but can still focus on the ones that I want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    All these years of going to Epcot and I've yet to enter through the International Gateway. I really need to fix that some day.
    I always enjoy going through there...even though only a few times, it's nice and peaceful back there and a different sight to see entering Epcot
    Follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/NJboyatNCstate

June 1997, July 2002, August 2005, August 2006, February 2008, July 2008, August 2008, June 2009, July 2010, November 2010, July 2011

2011 Trip Report:
    Part 1: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...nto-parks.html
    Part 2: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...7-23-11-a.html
    Part 3: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...24-7-26-a.html
    Part 4: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...e-already.html

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Yes, it is very peaceful by the International Gateway. There are some excellent shaded areas there with benches that are the perfect spot for taking a break.

Apark985 is offline A-Ticket holder

We end up at World Showcase at some point almost every day of the trip. There's no real organization to the wandering. There's so many snacks and drinks that we like there, that we could never fit it all into one day so a small trip per day helps us cover more ground. We also like to make sure we see all of the outdoor entertainment they have to offer. If we're only down for a long weekend, we will skip Maelstrom, Grand Fiesta Tour, and the films. However, if we're staying for a week, we take the time to experience them all. Illuminations is also my favorite nighttime show so staying in World Showcase is convenient. There's days when we will walk the loop twice. The people watching is top notch there!

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

How we tour World Showcase depends on a few things . . .

Do we have an ADR?
    We tour from the opposite direction of our restaurant and try to end up at our restaurant 10-15 minutes before our ADR time.

Are we doing the Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure?
    We make our way to the KP kiosk listed on our Fastpass to pick-up our Kimmunicator and are off exploring the pavilions using the missions as our guides. Doing the missions have really got us to look more closely at the pavilions. I highly recommend trying a mission at least once for kids AND adults. It's fun!

Are we entering from the International Gateway?
    When staying at the Boardwalk or Beach Club, it is a short walk to the IG from the resorts. We took the boat once and it actually took LONGER than if we had walked. We waited and waited and waited for a boat. So, we learned that mistake only once and now walk every time unless there is a boat sitting there waiting for us.

When entering through the IG, if our plans are to start riding or getting Fastpasses, we head left through the UK Pavilion and honestly don't stop and browse too much. We're on a mission to ride.

If we are coming back into the park and want to experience WS, we head right over the bridge into the France Pavilion and start the loop.

Are we "sans" children?
    We have yet to visit Walt Disney World without the kids. Our first childless trip is this September. Can you say . . . Yahooooooo! But, we do get a sitter at least once during our WDW trips. So, my husband and I can have an adult experience while at WDW too. Somehow, we ALWAYS end up at Epcot for our adult-only evening. At night, it is very romantic IMO. We definintely tour WS a lot differently without the kids. I actually get to leisurely shop in the more fragile shops without worrying if my child is breaking something. Like others, we rarely come out with a bag. But, it is still fun to browse the shops of the world. Who knows when I will get to the real Italy or Japan. We leisurely walk around WS soaking in the atmosphere and partake in an adult beverage or two. We've been known to ride Maelstrom in WS on our date nights if there is no wait. We usually will ride Test Track or Soarin' on our date nights with previously obtained FPs. I am NOT paying a sitter for me to wait in an hour-long line. It's no line or FP if we want to ride on date nights.

Do we have the kids with us?
    I am not one of those adults that waits in line for characters. But, if we have our children with us, we sometimes have to pause our touring and do a meet and greet here and there. There are character meet and greet times in the timesguide that accompanies the park map. Usually, I'll browse it upon entering the park and try to gauge when we can hit that character while touring World Showcase.

Our kids have done the Kidcot the first three trips to WDW. So, they are over trying to get every pavilion. But, still like to get one mask (Now, they are Duffy) and color it in one pavilion and are happy NOT stopping at each Kidcot Stop. But, they now love the Kim Possible missions and that is a "must" each trip. So, we make sure to leave enough time for a mission or two.

One year, I made it a point to get a picture of the kids in each pavilion with a different hat (EX: Mexico was a sombrero, Norway was a viking hat, Morocco was a fez) it was really fun for the kids. I got to peak into each pavilion without them dragging their feet because they were having fun searching for the next hat. If you have kids, I highly recommend this fun picture op.

Touring World Showcase
    Pavilion Movies
    I am ashamed to say that during all our WDW trips, we have never seen a movie in the World Showcase Pavilions. I'll be honest, we aren't patient enough to sit through them because there is so much fun to be had elsewhere. We're one of those families that rushes through the movie theatre at the exit of Maelstrom. I think so many others did this too that they now just leave the exit doors open all the time. If we could only see one World Showcase Pavilion movie, which one is a "must" in your opinion? We may try and squeeze in one WS movie during our family trip in November.

Counterservice
    We usually have lunch as our big sit down meal, because honestly it is cheaper. We use our TIW or AP discount. When in Epcot in the evening, we have counter service for dinner. We've tried a few places, but always seem to go back to the Yorkshire County Fish Shop in the UK Pavilion. The fish and chips is the best! But, definitely not for those dieting. LOL!

Snacking
    Again, I am ashamed to say that I have not tried Kaki-Gori (shaved ice) at the stand in Japan. But, it is on my list of "must do's" for our next trip.

With the new caramel shop (Karamell-Küche) open in the Germany Pavilion, we now have a new snacking stop while in World Showcase. However, we learned the hard way, do NOT get the fresh caramel popcorn. I know that sounds weird, but the cooled and packaged caramel popcorn was 10xs better than the fresh version IMO. Now, we know for next time.
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

ecmickey is offline B-Ticket Holder

I like to explore the WS. You can find some amazing details in the building and exteriors of the different countries. Since I like photography so much I enjoy checking out the areas of the pavilions that a lot of people may miss or not bother with. I like the movies (except Norway...sorry) and the rides, and love to sit for a bit at Japan's Koi Pond. It's so beautiful and it's a good spot to rest and relax a little from the crowds. I also love the gardens in Canada and Britain and the little British shops. I also always see the AA show and watch the Candy Lady in Japan.
    "How high can a sycamore grow; if you cut it down then you will never know."