Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Captain EO - any ending date???? in the Vacation Planning forums; Hello All! Does anyone have an idea on when Captain EO ending it's run in Epcot? I have never seen it and would like to during our next trip in ...
    jsloan409 is offline A-Ticket holder

Captain EO - any ending date????

Hello All!

Does anyone have an idea on when Captain EO ending it's run in Epcot?
    I have never seen it and would like to during our next trip in August. I have heard it was only suppose to be a one year tribute. But have also heard that if it's popular then it would stick around a while longer. What are my chances?

Thanks all!

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Re: Captain EO - any ending date????

The way things now stagnate at WDW, I'm afraid it will be there for years.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I don't see them pulling it any time in the near future. Though the Michael Jackson death craze thing has come and gone. For me, they couldn't remove that attraction soon enough.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

I don't remember hearing any "one year" announcement. They sort of implied that it would be a relatively short run, and when quizzed at the opening one of the Imagineers had said that they work working on cleaning up the HISTA film for it's return - but then they said that EO was open-ended, and all talk of HISTA coming back vanished.

Judging from the crowd in December, it's doing well enough to warrant it staying.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

firemedic is offline Premium Annual Passholder

I hope they get rid of it soon.

You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.
    Walt Disney

I wonder how Aaron Carter feels.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    I don't see them pulling it any time in the near future. Though the Michael Jackson death craze thing has come and gone. For me, they couldn't remove that attraction soon enough.
    Oh you took the words right out of my mouth.

Likely they will pull it when crowds don't warrant the CM's and they'll put up yet another construction wall to block it off. Just like they did with the Imagination interactive area.

Disney is getting real good at shuttering EPCOT's Future World.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

As long as the attraction is still drawing people in and the merchandise is selling, I think it may hang around for awhile. I think HISTA had kind of run its course, so maybe we'll see something new when EO retires.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

From a merchandising perspective, I think they could sell an EO shirt to Michael Jackson fans faster than they could sell a HISTA shirt to, well, anyone.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

doconeill is offline They call me MISTER Fastpass

From a merchandising perspective, I think they could sell an EO shirt to Michael Jackson fans faster than they could sell a HISTA shirt to, well, anyone.
    I think that was part of the problem...sure, HISTK was decently successful, and spawned a couple of sequels and a TV series, but it really wasn't what could be considered a long-term franchise.

I still can't believe they haven't just changed the sign on the play area in DHS to be "A Bug's Life". It's not like they need to change anything.
    Doc

Website work in progress: WDW Untangled: Fastpass+ - Rider Switch - ADR Calculator - Magic Your Way Ticket Price Calculator
    Non-WDW: Sci-Fi Storm - SF/Fantasy news

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

The ultimate truth of the matter is that nothing has done well over there since EO's first run. Even on the busiest days, that theater is rarely at 100% capacity. Heck on this last trip I think there were more people outside playing around the jumping fountains than we had in our showing.

I am a HUGE fan of EO and I absolutely will miss it when it leaves (for the 2nd time) but what they need to do is get in there and create, not just re-use. Simply filming yet another 3D movie and reprogramming the effects that already exist in that space won't result in much of a change in attendance.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    Simply filming yet another 3D movie and reprogramming the effects that already exist in that space won't result in much of a change in attendance.
    Are you saying they need to be CREATIVE? I wonder if they still know how.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Quote Originally Posted by MartianCrab View Post
    Are you saying they need to be CREATIVE? I wonder if they still know how.
    A year ago I would've said the same thing but after seeing what they're doing over at MK in Fantasyland etc. etc. I'm starting to think Imagineering may just have an Imagination again!
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

I actually blame the bean counters...imagineers just do what they're told.

ThatGuyFromMD is offline Yes, I Am That Guy

Quote Originally Posted by NC_WDW_Daddy View Post
    As long as the attraction is still drawing people in and the merchandise is selling, I think it may hang around for awhile. I think HISTA had kind of run its course, so maybe we'll see something new when EO retires.
    That is so true.. And it's not just the generation from the 80's.. I'm 16, and I've only seen one "Honey I Shrunk The...", But on the other hand I've listened to a ton of MJ music and have seen a lot of his music videos..

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    I am a HUGE fan of EO and I absolutely will miss it when it leaves (for the 2nd time) but what they need to do is get in there and create, not just re-use. Simply filming yet another 3D movie and reprogramming the effects that already exist in that space won't result in much of a change in attendance.
    That is what they have to do, they need to make something new, but in this economy, that won't be happening anytime soon
    Carol Brown just took a bus out of town,
    But I'm hoping that you'll stick around

http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...-Thread-Part-V <-- you see that, you should click on it and talk with us

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast