Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Tower of Terror in the Vacation Planning forums; I want to ride this ride and suffer from mild panic attacks. I have after many attempts ride RNR and Everest and Space Mountain regularly. I literally got out of ...
    Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder

Tower of Terror

I want to ride this ride and suffer from mild panic attacks. I have after many attempts ride RNR and Everest and Space Mountain regularly. I literally got out of each of those rides many times before finally riding them.(and sometimes still do on SM) I still get very very worked up before I ride them for the first time on each trip I go and I go alot.
    My absolute favorite is RNR and usually ride it 5 or 6 times in a row in Single Rider. Can't get enough of it. Whats the big deal about TOT?? Is falling that intense or is the show??? I thought about putting my Ipod on and turn up the music and just ride it to feel what the drop is like. I like Tim Devine get alot junk about not riding it.
    Last edited by Tmntrans; 07-12-2011 at 04:05 PM. Reason: .
    10/2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    05/2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    01/2013 Beach Club Resort
    11/2012 Saratoga Springs
    04/2012 Old Key West
    02/2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    12/2011 Downtown Disney Buena Vista Palace
    09/2011 Wilderness Lodge
    05/2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    09/2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    05/2010 Bonnet Creek
    10/2009 Coronado/Old Key West
    05/2009 Saratoga Springs
    03/2009 Old Key West
    01/2009 Saratoga Springs
    11/2008 Offsite
    09/2008 Offsite
    05/2008 Caribbean Resort
    03/2008 offsite
    01/2008 offsite
    11/2007 off site
    05/2007 offsite

Horizons17543 is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Tower of Terror

I was kind of in your shoes once. I could ride any other "thrill" ride the park had to offer, but when it came to TOT I always seemed to refrain using excsues like "ill just ride RNR again" or "Oh beauty n the beast show is about to start". Finally way back I was on a trip down with my HS choir to perform for Magic Music Days and knew my friends were all excited for TOT. After getting some guff n whatnot, I caved in and rode. Now I may not suffer from panic attacks, but if you can handle the coasters, this will be nothing. it's really all in your head, the ride is fun, but not nearly as scary as you may build it up to be. hope this helps and good luck!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Hi! Haven't seen you around in a while! Welcome back.

I actually had this problem with my youngest kid on all the big attractions. I knew she would love them if I only could get her on. We'd get through the line, go to board, meltdown, we would quickly exit through the chicken out door. I'd never force her obviously. She eventually rode everything and loved everything.

Try this and work on it before you go. Take in each breath into lungs 5 small bits and then exhale the same way, letting it out in 5 little bits, repeat and repeat. Put on an I pod and listen to a podcast or happy Disney tunes or any music that you can totally relax to and distract you.
    This breathing exercise actually helps to ward off panic attacks.

Ignore everything around you. I had her look at the ground, as not to trip. Now the little show is a tad creepy if you are panic prone. I'd say keep going with looking at your knees or your feet. My DD actually closed her eyes until she got off the ride. Secure your IPod though so it doesn't fly up and hit you or someone else upside the head.

When we were done, she was ready to go on again. I can no longer do ToT multiple times in a row. So if you make it through get a fass pass and come back again later to experience the whole attraction.

When are you going?
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Tmntrans is offline Fastpass Holder

Hey Gabe...been pretty busy. Haven't put alot online Disney time lately but its still very much there. We just came back in May and my son, my best bud and myself are going in September (kinda like a boys getaway)
    Wife and I supposedly going second week of December and probably March. I almost got in the elevator but waited too long. I had rode RNR 6 times in a row and was ready but waited too long and oh well....I do the Ipod thing and usually mentally take apart an engine in my head to keep me focused on other things. I wish I could explain it. But I'm gonna try to do TOT and Hulk this time around.
    Another thing I do not like is that elevator stomach in your throat feeling but hopefully it'll be ok.
    Good to see ya still around too.
    P.S.I miss the old avatar!!LOL
    Last edited by Tmntrans; 07-12-2011 at 11:59 PM. Reason: .
    10/2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    05/2013 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    01/2013 Beach Club Resort
    11/2012 Saratoga Springs
    04/2012 Old Key West
    02/2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    12/2011 Downtown Disney Buena Vista Palace
    09/2011 Wilderness Lodge
    05/2011 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    09/2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge
    05/2010 Bonnet Creek
    10/2009 Coronado/Old Key West
    05/2009 Saratoga Springs
    03/2009 Old Key West
    01/2009 Saratoga Springs
    11/2008 Offsite
    09/2008 Offsite
    05/2008 Caribbean Resort
    03/2008 offsite
    01/2008 offsite
    11/2007 off site
    05/2007 offsite

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

I lied to my oldest daughter to get her on TOT. She wouldn't speak to me for a half-hour after we got off the ride but she quickly got over her fear and now enjoys going on it. Just try to look at it logically: how many people have been on that ride and lived through it? Statistically it has to be safer than the ride it took to get to WDW.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Tmntrans View Post
    Hey Gabe...been pretty busy. Haven't put alot online Disney time lately but its still very much there. We just came back in May and my son, my best bud and myself are going in September (kinda like a boys getaway)
    Wife and I supposedly going second week of December and probably March. I almost got in the elevator but waited too long. I had rode RNR 6 times in a row and was ready but waited too long and oh well....I do the Ipod thing and usually mentally take apart an engine in my head to keep me focused on other things. I wish I could explain it. But I'm gonna try to do TOT and Hulk this time around.
    Another thing I do not like is that elevator stomach in your throat feeling but hopefully it'll be ok.
    Good to see ya still around too.
    P.S.I miss the old avatar!!LOL
    Thinking my DD got her panic attack from me. I can't stand to take off in an airplane. I do. I've never got off, well except for the time I got locked in a plane putting a disabled passenger on, lol. I use to work for United.
    Bad feeling to hear that door lock and you're not off yet. I'm fine flying, landing, it is that take off. A glass of wine and a movie to focus on and breathing slowly, gets me and the plane up there. lol

I did a trip with my DD a few years back for her 16th Birthday. It was priceless.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Just bite the bullet and give it a try. You'll be fine and probably like it.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

We have a rule with our son that he try each ride once, even if he's terrified, and then he never has to do it again. So far it seems to be working and this time around it seems we have him willing to try TOT. He's 5 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmntrans View Post
    Whats the big deal about TOT?? Is falling that intense or is the show???
    For me (not sure about others), the show is nothing really. It's almost humorous because it's set in that very 50s style and, well, Twilight Zone like. For me it is most definitely the falling that is intense. Maybe not the actual falling itself but rather the anticipation of the stop. Like for example, I tend to feel my heart race faster on the way up, wondering at what moment it will change to a drop and then, once I'm dropping, wonder when I'll stop. That's also the great thing about TOT and it's random ride cycles. No matter how often you ride it, you can't know for sure when you'll drop or how many times.

My husband can ride RNR over and over again but, he really doesn't like TOT at all. It's "ok" but some people just can't do that free fall feeling. It's very different than any coaster but, as PP have said, think of all the people that have ridden it and walked off. Even if you never ride it again, you can at least say you did and tell people you just didn't enjoy it, rather than saying you're too frightened to do it.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Stitchgirl1 is offline B-Ticket Holder

I'm seriously claustrophobic. On our first trip to Orlando in 1996 I rode the Tower of Terror because I didn't know anything about it so i didn't get scared and I loved it!

Second visit - May 1997 I was freaking out and refusing to get on. My hubby is wonderful but on this occasion he was taking no c**p and made me go on it. Not a problem! I never miss it, it may just be my favourite ride.

Also, hubby felt so bad for telling me off that he bought me a beautiful Winnie the Pooh clock as soon as we got off the ride!

There are some things I just can't do - I hate waiting under the tree for "It's tough to be a bug". When we visit the parks with friends and I don't want them to miss out on something because I struggle with it I just close my eyes and mentally recite "i'm in a really big space" whilst breathing slowly and deeply. Seems to do the trick.

Hope you go on TOT and love it

xxx