Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Mission Space Needs To Go in the Vacation Planning forums; While I never had the opportunity to ride horizons, I thoroughly enjoy Mission Space. The technology and the details of the theming in the queue and ride are soome of ...
    simba is offline A-Ticket holder

Re: Mission Space Needs To Go

While I never had the opportunity to ride horizons, I thoroughly enjoy Mission Space. The technology and the details of the theming in the queue and ride are soome of the best in the parks (if not THE best!). If you do not like the ride, then just bypass it--why does everyone have to be pessimistic because there are those of us who enjoy it. As a child I dreamed of being an astronaut. Well, as I grew up, I found out that science wasn't really my favorite thing, but this ride gives me the opportunity to live my dream!

While the lines may be short, there are still lines there--or it would have already been faded out.

However, I am one of those who would not mind if they replaced it. Afterall, WDW is not a museum--I can't wait for the future and the changes that it holds for all of us! But until then, I will be blasting off with Forrest Gump's Lt. Dan!!
    David Simba Zitzelberger
    Author, Painter, Disney Enthusiast

Author of the fictional Disney novel "Magical Escapades":
    http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/magicalescapades

Disney College Program Fall 2012--Merchandise

Blog: www.magicalescapades.blogspot.com

2011-December, Port Orleans Riverside
    2011-March, Day visit to Wilderness Lodge
    2010-May, Disneyland
    2009-June, Hilton Grand Vacations
    2008-December, Port Orleans Riverside
    2007-July, Pop Century
    2004-August, All Star Movies Fantasia
    2002-June, All Star Movies 101 Dalmatians
    1995-July, Dixie Landings

missbounce is offline Fastpass Holder

I have to admit, I get sick on both versions (I must have a sensitive tummy!), so choose not to ride any more. However, hubby loves it and it's a must do every time we go to Epcot for him.
    Cara
    @MissBounceUK

*** PROUD CHARTER-DAY GOLD MEMBER OF D23! ***
    ***DISNEYLAND ANNUAL PASSHOLDER***

MY DISNEY TRIPS:
    October 2012 - Walt Disney World (Coronado Springs) Halloween, Food and Wine, Christmas Season ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2012 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: 75 Years of Disney Animation ***UPCOMING TRIP***
    August 2011 - Disneyland California (Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Expo
    May 2011 - Walt Disney World (All Star Sports) D23 Destination D: Walt Disney World 40th Anniversary
    November 2010 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Bonfire Night Celebrations and Halloween Season
    September 2010 - Disneyland California (Disneyland Hotel and Quality Inn and Suites) D23 Destination D: Disneyland 55th Anniversary
    February 2010 - Walt Disney World (All Star Music and Polynesian Resort)
    May 2009 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Mickey's Magical Party
    October 2008 - Walt Disney World (All Star Movies, Coronado Springs, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, Polynesian Resort, Animal Kingdom Lodge) Halloween and Food and Wine
    January 2008 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Cheyenne) Christmas Season
    June 2007 - Disneyland Paris (Newport Bay Club) Disneyland Paris 15th Anniversary Celebrations
    January 2006 - Disneyland Paris (Hotel Santa Fe) Christmas Season
    September 2004 - Walt Disney World (Pop Century) Honeymoon

penguinmickdis1 is offline C-Ticket Holder

MartianCrab I wrote in my post the reason why

"Who are you to say they should get rid of this ride?" I'm a person who does not want to get sick, but also wants be entertained. See, what they did was add in a less intense version. If I go on that I know I'm not going to have that good of a time since I'm essentially just watching a movie on some TV right next to my face. If I go on the other version I know I will get sick and not enjoy the rest of the day. So what am I supposed to do? Well I could just not go on it. Sure but why should I miss out on somthing, even if said thing is not that great."

You can read the rest of it on my blog thefourparksandmore.blogspot.com

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

I too would LOVE to see another "Horizons-type" attraction somewhere in Future World someday, but where would it go from where it left off?
    We STILL don't have robot-run desert agricultural complexes, undersea cities, OR space colonies...!
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Quote Originally Posted by Dizisit View Post
    We STILL don't have robot-run desert agricultural complexes, undersea cities, OR space colonies...!
    That you know of.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    That you know of.
    OH MY!!!
    It's a CONSPIRACY I tell ya'!!!!!

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

I personally enjoy Mission Space and feel it would be a shame to see it go. It's the first of its kind and gives us the opportunity to experience something only a select few people in the world get to feel - weightlessness and the feeling of being in space.

There's a reason there are a million warnings in a million different languages as you stand in line - the ride is not for everyone (haven't you all seen Apollo 13?!). Just like not everyone rides roller coasters or water rides, not everyone will and can ride simulator rides, and that is something they need to accept. People need to use their common sense - just because they are in Disney World doesn't mean their 3 year old should ride every ride (just like they should see a horror movie), and those back problems and heart problems you have? Even in the happiest place on earth, you unfortunately still have them. Use your descretion before riding any ride. I have been to Disney with a broken hip, I checked all the ride warnings before riding anything so I didn't further injure myself. It's common sense, and if you don't have it, then see Darwin's Theory of Survival. Sorry.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

You obviously didn't grow up riding the Gravitron.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyDancer87 View Post
    There's a reason there are a million warnings in a million different languages as you stand in line - the ride is not for everyone (haven't you all seen Apollo 13?!). Just like not everyone rides roller coasters or water rides, not everyone will and can ride simulator rides, and that is something they need to accept. People need to use their common sense - just because they are in Disney World doesn't mean their 3 year old should ride every ride (just like they should see a horror movie), and those back problems and heart problems you have?
    The Green side is as basic a simulator as you can get. It's a rocking back and forth, not side to side. You get jostled around more on Star Tours than you do on Mission Space. I wonder if it's the close quarters that also get people on that ride.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

dramaqueenk is offline C-Ticket Holder

My family and i hate it, not least because of what they had to take away to build this claustrophobic basic simulator...
    dramaqueenk

"If you can dream it, you can do it. Always remember that this whole thing was started with a dream and a mouse."
    Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    The Green side is as basic a simulator as you can get. It's a rocking back and forth, not side to side. You get jostled around more on Star Tours than you do on Mission Space. I wonder if it's the close quarters that also get people on that ride.
    What's funny is I actually get "sicker" feeling riding Star Tours than I do even on the Orange version of MS. Simulators and me normally don't get along.

The other "what's funny" for me is that I am extremely claustrophobic and being on the ride doesn't bug me at all. Now that said, there is a brief moment where I can feel my heart beat just a little faster and a little rush of adrenaline when the compartment "closes"... but it's just a brief second and then my focus is on the screen.

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueenk View Post
    My family and i hate it, not least because of what they had to take away to build this claustrophobic basic simulator...
    Well if you go by all the rumors and some of the press and insider information... Horizons was a 'sinking' ship anyway.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

While not thrilled to see the classic attractions go away, I am happy to be rid of these 20-35 minute time fillers. If we can just wrap up Ellen's Energy Adventure, even if it means killing the final movie, or editing it down a bit, then it wouldn't be so bad. Same thing with Great Movie Ride over at the Studios.

Growing up, all kids were anxious and rambunctious. Now they all have a diagnosis of some sort. Perhaps it's ADD. And they're on IEPs to treat it. It's called being a kid. We were balls of energy with the attention span of a goldfish. I couldn't sit through long rides like those back then because I was anxious to be on something else instead. Today, I just get bored.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by dramaqueenk View Post
    I'm afraid Jenn is right, Horizons was taken out for a very good reason. It had no sponsor, so Disney was footing the bill. And it had little ridership.

I'm not sure why they decided to tear the entire building down, though. There must have been some structural issues...

Either way, I definitely miss it. The only true originals left from the original Future World are Spaceship Earth and The Land (changes have been made to both, but mostly minor changes sans the addition of Soarin').

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I'm afraid Jenn is right, Horizons was taken out for a very good reason. It had no sponsor, so Disney was footing the bill. And it had little ridership.

I'm not sure why they decided to tear the entire building down, though. There must have been some structural issues...
    The reason I put "sinking" in quotes is because rumor has it (and I've seen some satellite views that certainly support the rumor) the SouthEast corner was sinking. It's one of those rumors I don't have a hard time believing because the entire property is after all swampland. That and there are sat pics I've seen where they were reinforcing that section of land prior to the MS building being built (putting steel structures in the space).

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post
    The reason I put "sinking" in quotes is because rumor has it (and I've seen some satellite views that certainly support the rumor) the SouthEast corner was sinking. It's one of those rumors I don't have a hard time believing because the entire property is after all swampland. That and there are sat pics I've seen where they were reinforcing that section of land prior to the MS building being built (putting steel structures in the space).
    I have always heard the same thing as well. The "ground" it was on was unstable and the structure was possibly in danger of failing.
    And yes, if that was the case, they surely would've gone in, before putting another structure there, to sink pilings, or some other form of reinforcement, and make sure that that wasn't going to be the case again.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast