Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Mission Space Needs To Go in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by supernova The Green side is as basic a simulator as you can get. It's a rocking back and forth, not side to side. You get jostled around ...
    Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Re: Mission Space Needs To Go

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    The Green side is as basic a simulator as you can get. It's a rocking back and forth, not side to side. You get jostled around more on Star Tours than you do on Mission Space. I wonder if it's the close quarters that also get people on that ride.
    One of the partners I used to work for told me that was the reason he would never go on it again. He was in great shape and loved to do ALL kinds of adventurous things and the ride motion didn't get to him at all, but that was the thrill-killer for him...just too darn claustrophobic for him.
    I, on the other hand, as well as with the rest of the ride, don't mind that one bit.
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

I don't like it at all. Too closed in for me and I didn't really care for it overall. I wish they would keep the Space theme, but make it in to something that is more mass appeal.

I think a Space pavilion was a great idea - but I think a more mass appeal attraction would have been better. Makes me wonder sometimes - was this a big flop for Disney? I mean, it's extremely advanced and no expenses were really spared. They hyped it like crazy, but if it even had much success after opening, it didn't last long. Neither versions ever have a long wait time, usually less than 10 minutes, and it's definitely not the most popular. I've seen longer waits for The Seas or Living With The Land.

With all of this news about HP selling their computer business, I would not be surprised if they quit sponsoring when the contract's up.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

ecmickey is offline B-Ticket Holder

I enjoyed and miss Horizons, but I also love MS. I can only do the Green side for medical reasons, but it's fun and I enjoy doing it. To me it's another fun thing about Future World. (I also miss the World Of Motion!)
    "How high can a sycamore grow; if you cut it down then you will never know."

joanna71985 is offline Friend of the Disney Characters!!

I hope it doesn't go away. I enjoy Mission Space
    Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 1998- Port OrleansMarch 2003- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 2003- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 2005- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 2006- AS Sports (solo)May 24, 2006-Jan 5, 2007- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 2007- offsite (solo)March 1-3, 2007- Dad+ Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 2007- CP (CS) Aug 10-12, 2007- GF/P&PMay 21- Aug 15, 2008- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 2008- AKL!!Mar 25-29, 2009 (offsite)Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (Eastern)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL Dream Jan 20-24, 2014: DCL Magic Dec 3-6, 2014: DCL Wonder (for now)

CP #1: 1/12/05-8/5/05: MK merchandise and parades
    CP #2: 5/24/06 to 1/5/07: character attendant!!
    CP #3: 5/16/07-8/10/07: Epcot WS Custodial/seasonal CA
    CP #4: 5/21/08-7/5/08: Casey's (QSFB); 7/6/08-8/15/08: character attendant
    CP #5: 8/10/09-1/2/10: Toy Story Mania attractions
    CP #6: 1/3/10-5/14/10: Great Movie Ride attractions
    FT: 5/16/10~
    Montclair State Campus Rep- Fall 2007, Spring 2008, Fall 2008, Spring 2009

JEHI7278 is offline A-Ticket holder

i have not ridden either version because I am prone to motion sickness, but my kids love the ride. Keep it around - it looks cool too.

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

i went on it even before it had the orange and green versions... i enjoy it but i guess i understand why people avoid it... but its really not that bad once you get on it... but for liability reasons they have to repeat themselves alot...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

WDW1014 is offline Fastpass Holder

hate the ride lol
    Visits:
    91= Grand Floridan 01= All Star Sports 11= Music
    92= Grand Floridan 02= All Star Movies 12= Movies
    93= Caribbean Beach 03= Old Key West 13= Sports
    94= All Star Sports 04= Pop Century 14= Sports / Sports
    95= French Quarter 05= Pop Century
    96= Dixie Landing 06= Grand Floridan
    97= All Star Music 07= All Star Sports
    98= All Star Sports 08= Pop Century
    99= All Star Movies 09= All Star Sports
    00= All Star Music 10= All Star Music

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Personally,I do not care for Mission Space.I have ridden both versions and yes when I rode the intense version I came off of it a little queezy and slightly nauciated,but never got sick.The mild version is ok,but even that one can disrupt one's system if they have a weakened system.However,after saying all that,I won't go on either version anymore.I am like a lot of people,I am old school about WDW.leave the classic traditional attractions alone and don't replace them.Horizons was one of these.I personally do not believe the story about Horizons sitting on a sinkhole and that it had to be torn down.If that were true,then how much dirt or even concrete would it take to fill the hole in and THEN build another building on top of it?HUH? Tell Me! So my opinion about the sinkhole is that it was a lie,fabricated to tear down Horizons because so many people loved it.Who's gonna argue with a sinkhole story?
    All that being said,I do wish they would refurbish the building back into a better version of Horizons by having it the same as it was originally,but adding in the new technology gizmos that have come along since the days of the original Horizons.Finally,I am like most of you all,I like the original things to stay and never be replaced,ex:Journey Into Imagination-take it back to the original;I'm sick of Eric Idle!BUT! Walt DID state that Epcot was to be forever changing by being added to and also taken away.It was labeled as a work forever in progress.This is not a quote,I am just using this phrase as descriptive as to what Walt intended for Epcot.Bottom line;keep the originals but expand with new stuff too.
    Park Hopper Dad!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by Park Hopper Dad View Post
    Personally,I do not care for Mission Space.I have ridden both versions and yes when I rode the intense version I came off of it a little queezy and slightly nauciated,but never got sick.The mild version is ok,but even that one can disrupt one's system if they have a weakened system.However,after saying all that,I won't go on either version anymore.
    It's not "mild". It's downright tame. In general, I don't see how anyone can claim any sort of medical issue with this ride. HelI, they tip you backwards so you can catch a nice quick nap.

I am like a lot of people,I am old school about WDW.leave the classic traditional attractions alone and don't replace them.Horizons was one of these.
    Not necessarily Horizons, but I'm glad to see Disney moving away from those 25+ minute attractions of old.

BUT! Walt DID state that Epcot was to be forever changing by being added to and also taken away.It was labeled as a work forever in progress.This is not a quote,I am just using this phrase as descriptive as to what Walt intended for Epcot.
    Remember, Walt was talking about a community, not an amusement park.

Bottom line;keep the originals but expand with new stuff too.
    Eventually you're going to run out of room if you just keep shoving stuff into the existing structure/layout. Sometimes you need to raze to raise.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Flrancho is offline D-Ticket Holder

I would certainly be fine with no Mission: SPACE.

I was one of the ones that got to preview the attraction as an AP holder before it was open to the general public. It was ok. Didn't feel queasy afterwards, but I was told I was as white as a sheet when I got off. It wasn't long afterwards that I was diagnosed with a heart condition. That was my first, and last ride on the orange side.

I didn't set foot on the attraction again until they had so many problems with people getting sick and/or passing on it, that they made the mild version. I go on this, its ok.

I have to agree with what I've heard others say that I don't think Mission: SPACE really sticks to the family ideals of Disney, though you could probably say that about a handful of other rides. That being said, the wait times aren't ever really that long anymore, I don't think its really a "beloved" attraction, and unfortunately its reputation precedes it. I was standing in line next to a family once for Soarin' and the wife was terrified of the attraction and wasn't sure she wanted to let her kids ride. The reason being, she either thought that Soarin' was Mission: SPACE or that Soarin was like SPACE, as she kept mentioning the attraction that all the people had died on recently (at the time). I think they did end up riding after the husband assured her that this wasn't that attraction.

clj2 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Was Mission: Space a flop? I ask because Disney hyped it so. In my trips in the last 5 years, I haven't noticed much of a line at all, and most of the time not much traffic in the area. People aren't dying to get on it like Test Track or Soarin'. Honestly, I have seen longer lines at The Seas or Living With The Land than M:S. It seems like Disney put a lot of money in to it and it never, no pun intended, took off.
    WDW:: March 1996 (Buena Vista Palace DTD) | March 2005 (Hilton DTD) | March 2007 (Hilton DTD) | March 2009 (Hilton DTD) | August 2011 (Hilton DTD) | March 2012 (Royal Plaza DTD) | August 10th-17th 2013

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

My guess is that once people found out it was just a fancier presentation of the old spin-n-pukes they grew up riding at their local fairs they weren't really impressed.

Park Hopper Dad is offline Fastpass Holder

Exactly.I hope the attendance on the ride gets so small that they realize their mistake and rehash the building into a newer version of Horizons with the original theme.
    Park Hopper Dad!

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by clj2 View Post
    Was Mission: Space a flop? People aren't dying to get on it like Test Track or Soarin'.
    Shouldn't that read, "People are dying to get on it, unlike Test Track or Soarin'?
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Booooooooooo...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast