Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Mission Space Needs To Go in the Vacation Planning forums; I recently wrote about this on my blog which you can read here at The Four Parks . What do you think? Am I crazy for saying this? What is ...
    penguinmickdis1 is offline C-Ticket Holder

Mission Space Needs To Go

I recently wrote about this on my blog which you can read here at The Four Parks. What do you think? Am I crazy for saying this? What is your opinion on Mission Space?

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Re: Mission Space Needs To Go

I simply don't ride it. I rode spin-n-pukes as a youngster, but have no desire to these days.

Seems like quite a misstep for Disney, IMO. The lines there are usually about as long as they are for Imagination and Universe of Energy from what I've seen.

Then again, I'm really old school when it comes to Future World, in general. But, I don't have any definitive answers concerning what they need to do. It's still a fairly popular park, but it's really a shell of itself.

BTW, the link you provided wasn't working for me. The one in your sig worked fine, though. Don't know if it's something on my end, but I thought I'd give you heads up.

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

To me, space exploration is the only sort of-future thing Epcot has going for it.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

BamaJenn is offline Disnerd

Quoting your blog here to make this easier...
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinmickdis1 View Post
    "Who are you to say they should get rid of this ride?" I'm a person who does not want to get sick, but also wants be entertained. See, what they did was add in a less intense version. If I go on that I know I'm not going to have that good of a time since I'm essentially just watching a movie on some TV right next to my face. If I go on the other version I know I will get sick and not enjoy the rest of the day. So what am I supposed to do? Well I could just not go on it. Sure but why should I miss out on somthing, even if said thing is not that great. I know it is to late to bring Horizons back, but I wish they would just replace Mission Space. I know Disney wanted to simulate the experiance of space travel, but not everyone can handle that thrill. I realize some attractions will not be acessible to all people, there are so many great ideas Disney Imagineers have and Mission Space feels like a waste, of well, space
    So here's my personal opinion...

Ever post 3 paragraphs and then take them down because you don't want it to be read as being nasty? Yeah that's me... LOL
    Last edited by BamaJenn; 09-06-2011 at 12:14 PM.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde
    Avatar Image Used with Permission from °O°Joe

My final answer: I really like Mission Space, both the original (orange) and green. I think it's a fantastic simulation and, while I'm not a fan of feeling sick (or dying) I don't think it should be added to the Extinct Disney attraction list any time soon.
    Sometimes all you need is a reminder that out there lies a better place... a better world... a Walt Disney World.
    Visited In: 1983, 1988, 1989 x2, 1991, 1992, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006 (passholder), 2007 (x2 x3), 2008, 2009 (x2), 2010, 2011 (x2)
    “Detail is there to make you believe in the reality of the story you’re immersed in.” - Joe Rohde

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BamaJenn View Post

I think the original (orange - whatever) Mission Space is incredible. I think it is/was by far one of the best simulators I've ever experienced. It's downfall? The human race... or at least today's human race. We don't want to have to read a sign before we get on something or listen to the warning videos... we just want to get on and go go go. Now... would I have been much happier if they had found a way to save Horizons and then put MS in somewhere else? Sure! I'm one of the biggest Horizons fans on the planet. But... that's not the way things work at Disney Parks.

Me personally, I never had a problem riding the original BUT since my son was born, I only do "Green". Why? Because I'm a smart parent who reads warning signs and doesn't want to chance it just because he's tall enough. I still think the attraction is really quite fun and it at least fits the theme of "Future World" a little better than say Test Track.

The green version is still much more than simply sitting in a box and watching a TV and I really do think that it was one of the smartest things Disney could've ever done, given the horrifying incidents that had been occurring on the original side. With everything they put into the attraction, I am much happier having the option of the less intense ride, than seeing yet another attraction get added to my Extinct Disney site.
    I'm very much of the same opinion...
    I've expressed on these boards many times how much I loved Horizons, and miss it VERY much (I watch a video of it many nights to fall asleep to with a happy memory in my mind ) , but also how much I love MS, too.
    I still remember the anticipation I felt waiting in the queue for it the very first time back in '04, and then the absolute thrill I had of the weightless feeling and my face feeling like it was peeling back!
    I think it fits in future world pretty darn well, for now, but who knows what the future holds?
    Last edited by Dizisit; 09-06-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Nope, it was July of '04, actually...! *dizzy* *lol*
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

Red face Re: Mission Space Needs To Go

Ever post 3 paragraphs and then take them down because you don't want it to be read as being nasty? Yeah that's me... LOL
    OOOooooopsss...!
    Sorry Jenn!!!
    I think I caught it in my quote for posterity and eternity...!

BTW...
    It didn't sound nasty to me at all!

pinkemma666 is offline D-Ticket Holder

Really enjoy Mission Space; love the theme and the ride. It's good that we all don't love the same attractions, it spreads the crowds out a bit
    We may all grow old, but never grow up xx

Visit my blog at - www.daydreamingdisney.com

Facebook page - www.facebook.com/daydreamingdisney

Follow me on Twitter - @daydreamingdis

Quote Originally Posted by pinkemma666 View Post
    It's good that we all don't love the same attractions, it spreads the crowds out a bit
    EXACTLY!!!!

penguinmickdis1 is offline C-Ticket Holder

EXACTLY!!!!
    And that, is the magic of Disney.

zippitydoodah is offline Annual Passholder

I enjoy it a lot, but it's my fiance's hands down favourite epcot ride and one of his top 3 in all of WDW. It's one of the huge reasons he's even willing to keep coming on trips with me, cause he loves it so much. It's a must-do for me as well though. I like it about 100 times better than Test Track (booooring) and I think the only reason it's not as popular (it always has at least a 30-40 minute wait when I've been, only soarin and test track having bigger lines) is because its just TOO intense for a lot of people. I love that though, that there is a ride at Disney that IS that intense and unique

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

I think it's odd to want a ride removed that you haven't even tried going on. I have been on it with my 10 year old daughter and neither of us got sick. It wasn't really all that great though (we were on the occasionaly deadly side). Horizons was a definitely better ride, and I miss it.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I'm fine with Mission Space. While it is not one of my favorite attractions, we do enjoy it. It wouldn't hurt my feelings to bring back an old Horizon type attraction in the same spot either.

bigthundermicky is offline C-Ticket Holder

I agree with supernova, it is really the only "futuristic" attraction for Future World. I love this attraction. There is, arguably, no attraction that has better technology. I realize it's not setting any attendance records, but as is always discussed on the show, it has one of the most detailed queues in all of WDW. Not everyone gets sick on this attraction. As an adult, when it first opened, it amazed me as much as Horizons or Universe of Energy amazed me as a child.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast