Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss What is the one thing WDW could improve on? in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by Mo Noyz Main Street, alone, was far more unique than anything you see there these days. The flower shop, the tobacco shop, the Penny Arcade with the ...
    supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: What is the one thing WDW could improve on?

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    Main Street, alone, was far more unique than anything you see there these days. The flower shop, the tobacco shop, the Penny Arcade with the old rotoscopes and old school Boardwalk-style amusement items...
    Not only variety, but imagine... you had to LEAVE one store and enter into another one. Not just cut through from one shop to the other. While there is still a bit of variety on the right side of Main Street, the left side is one huge clothing store. I don't remember the flower shop, but I do recall a flower stand in one of the dead-end alleys. It might still be there.

Not sure how it was during the opening, if it was still one huge Emporium, but I do miss the seperate shops, minus the walk-throughs. Granted, it DOES make for a nice exit while everyone else is standing around watching the parade for the fifth time that week.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Haunted Gabe, I completely agree with you on the Dining improvements and also think merchandising is in big trouble. I can find better quality merchandise at Wal-Mart on Hwy 27 for 40 to 60% less than the theme park price.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Not only variety, but imagine... you had to LEAVE one store and enter into another one. Not just cut through from one shop to the other. While there is still a bit of variety on the right side of Main Street, the left side is one huge clothing store. I don't remember the flower shop, but I do recall a flower stand in one of the dead-end alleys. It might still be there.

Not sure how it was during the opening, if it was still one huge Emporium, but I do miss the seperate shops, minus the walk-throughs. Granted, it DOES make for a nice exit while everyone else is standing around watching the parade for the fifth time that week.
    I have to admit I haven't paid very much attention to Main Street the last few times we've been there. Once the Emporium essentially became the entire west side of the street I found it to be pretty boring and generic. IIRC, both the flower shop and the tobacco shop were on that side. I'm not sure if the flower carts are there anymore, but they could be. I know the magic shop is gone. Up towards the ice cream shop there used to be a glass shop where you could watch glass blowers ply their craft. Not sure if that still exists. There was also a china shop, but I don't recall very much about it aside from the fact that my mother used to love it.

Main Street really pioneered the "bland-ing" down of WDW. WDW has always been about money, but at least there was more creativity and imagination "back in the day". These days, those two prominent cornerstones have seemingly been replaced with for profit cynicism ("we already built it, and they still come!"). But, in all fairness, perhaps it always was and with 37 more years on the clock since the first time I visited I'm simply more cognizant of it now.

Or, maybe just more cynical myself.

It's still "home" to me, but I feel the criticisms I offer are fair.

Me, I always liked having to hunt down that one last souvenir before leaving. You knew it was in one of those shops, but had to remember where exactly you were when you saw it. Sometimes it was even at that little afterthought gift shop outside the TTC. There were a few times I found something there and nowhere else. Now they've made it so that you can't NOT find items.

As for which side of the street the tobacco shop was one, I can't remember myself. At first I thought it was on the east side heading up to the castle, but I also remember the indian being on the left, too.

The dumbing down of Main Street really is evidence of Disney's sole concern with the almight dollar.
    Really, Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Yeah, I remember the tobacco store indian being on the west side of the street, too. That's why I thought the shop had to have been on that side. But, it's been a LONG time and my memory isn't quite what it used to be.

IIRC...

Now, I've never been to Disneyland, but from what I've heard from others their stores are still set up the way the stores in WDW used to be. If you saw an item you wanted in one store, it'd be best to go ahead and buy it because you're not likely to see it elsewhere.

Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure I saw rifles from the exit store for Pirates in the Emporium on one of our last trips.

And do they still do all the fantastic winter/Christmas scenes in the windows along Main Street? I used to love walking along and seeing all the different scenes when I was a kid.

As far as the almighty dollar is concerned, I'd say we'd both have to be naive beyond reason to think it was any different nearly 40 years ago. But as I said before, at least back then it seemed as though they were at least concerned with giving you something unique in exchange. I mean, you can't even find much land-specific merchandise anymore.

All-in-all, it's really a minor quibble. As is the overall cleanliness of the resort. But, it's readily noticeable to those of us who "grew up" there. I suppose I can take solace in the fact that they're pouring untold dollars into the expansion of Fantasyland. I hope it's a harbinger that continues to bear fruit.

Yes, the windows are still decorated for the holidays, which is a nice added touch. Like being away from the holiday windows on display here in Manhattan but seeing them anyway. Just on a smaller scale.

While I was in DLP in the fall, I did have some trouble hunting down a sleeper I wanted for my nephew (come to think of it, I wonder if my sister ever used it!) and was fortunate to find it in my hotel in the size I needed. I wouldn't have even thought tocheck the hotel's gift shop, considering the smaller size, but there it was.

I remember visiting only once during the days of tickets for each ride, and wasn't impressed with the system. Granted, I was very young, but it was like going to a carinval and buying tickets, then riding rides until they ran out. Now, rather than slowly **** the bills from your wallet, they grab you by the ankles and shake you upside down at the front gate, see how much money falls you before you even get in. At least they still leave a little for us to be able to eat and buy stuff.

The original ticketing system was quaint. That's about all that can be said for it. I enjoyed the ticket books, but then again, that's what I grew up with. I remember having to stop at the ticket booths inside the park and buy "Magic Key" tickets. Those essentially got you onto any ride.

That said, the new system is much better, IMO. It's one of the few things they've gotten right over the years.

Don't get me started on "Fast Pass". I'm not sure I'll ever warm to that concept.

I rarely use it. To the point where I would NOT pay for the "privelege" of being able to use it. If they started limiting it to only resort guests, maybe that would help things a little. But still, it's better than having one friend who hates roller coasters stand in line elsewhere while seven other people ride Space Mountain, then jump the line to ride Peter Pan.

And that's the rub.

Perhaps I'm just a little too old school, I don't know. But, I believe in waiting in line for your turn.

It's funny, when we were there last year our folks came up to join us so they could enjoy some time with their grandson at Disney. Well, grandma wanted to get a Fast Pass for Soarin', so we did. So, like your average red-blooded EPCOT fan we went and rode Test Track and then headed back to Soarin' with Fast Pass in hand.

Man, I felt guilty skipping the line. I'll never do it again. It's bizarre, and I have no other way to explain it, but it just felt wrong.

Most people seem to love it, though...

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    It's funny, when we were there last year our folks came up to join us so they could enjoy some time with their grandson at Disney. Well, grandma wanted to get a Fast Pass for Soarin', so we did. So, like your average red-blooded EPCOT fan we went and rode Test Track and then headed back to Soarin' with Fast Pass in hand.
    That is actually the only time I really use Fast Pass, and it is to do exactly what you stated above. Upon entry, I'll grab a Fast Pass for Soarin', walk across the d#mn park over to ride Test Track, then walk all the way back the other way to ride Soarin'.

Still doesn't strike me as much of a time-saver.

I guess in the cases of Splash/Thunder or RRC/ToT there would be that benefit.

Still doesn't seem "right" to me.

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

Disney didn't chase the buck as hard as they do now. Their number one concern was "putting on a good show". The old antiques store that used to exist in Liberty Square is a perfect example of how the philosophy changed. Read this: http://passport2dreams.blogspot.com/...-antiques.html
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

MartianCrab is offline Fastpass Holder

This is a quote from the former manager of the antique shop in Liberty Square from the hyperlinked article above:
    'Our shops are essentially attractions for our guests,' continues Otto. 'We want people to feel free to visit and to browse, to ask questions and to share antique anecdotes with the shop host and hostesses. It isn't necessary to buy antiques to enjoy them. We have many guests who return time and again, simply to look at an item that has struck their fancy.'

Can you imagine someone in Disney management saying something like this today? I can't.
    “The trouble with quotes on the Internet is one never knows if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

JNota0005DakMC is offline Annual Passholder

Yeh... See that's my biggest gripe with them... Everything is too generic...buoy can't find "unique" things in specific shops anymore... And the prices of the souvenirs are enough to choke a horse... It's unbelievable...
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them"
    -Walt Disney

"Laughter is America's most important export"
    -Walt Disney

"Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow, your party from Saturn has arrived. Please give them a ring."

Please check out my blog... (Join up...! Everyone's Welcome...!) Find it on Facebook too...!
    http://tomorrowlandgazette.blogspot.com/

I miss the World of Disney store in Mahattan. It was nice to get merchandise, art, and collectibles that weren't carried in regular Disney stores. Sometimes they even had park merchandise and started carrying pins, too. Cheaper to take a train to 5th and 53rd than a flight to Orlando.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast