Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
WDW Theme Parks Discuss What is the one thing WDW could improve on? in the Vacation Planning forums; Originally Posted by Mo Noyz I don't know, Times Square strikes me as being a tourist trap on par with International Drive (with more visual candy), so it kind of ...
    DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

Re: What is the one thing WDW could improve on?

Quote Originally Posted by Mo Noyz View Post
    I don't know, Times Square strikes me as being a tourist trap on par with International Drive (with more visual candy), so it kind of makes sense.

I suppose...

It is...lived in NY my whole life, and while Times Square is beautiful, they have turned it into a major tourist trap and the Disney Store is awful, nothing but the Fab 5 in Taxi cabs and on the Statur of Liberty with NYC or "The Big Apple" posted on it. It is all horrifically over priced, but if you make it, they will buy it.

And don't even bother with the M&M Store in Manhattan - 3 floors of junk, literally all JUNK, with M&M faces on them.

I wouldn't shop in Times Square even with someone who has never been to NY. Wanna see the real city? Get out of the tourist traps, but that goes for any touristy place, including Orlando.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

supernova is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyDancer87 View Post
    It is...lived in NY my whole life, and while Times Square is beautiful, they have turned it into a major tourist trap and the Disney Store is awful, nothing but the Fab 5 in Taxi cabs and on the Statur of Liberty with NYC or "The Big Apple" posted on it. It is all horrifically over priced, but if you make it, they will buy it.

And don't even bother with the M&M Store in Manhattan - 3 floors of junk, literally all JUNK, with M&M faces on them.

I wouldn't shop in Times Square even with someone who has never been to NY. Wanna see the real city? Get out of the tourist traps, but that goes for any touristy place, including Orlando.
    Thank you for being a cynical voice of reason with me.

Though if you've lived here you entire life like you say you have, then you also remember what Times Square USED to be like. Back in the days of the "old" 42nd Street. At least Giuliani pushed those shops over to 8th Avenue. Still, I do miss driving my car through Times Square to get where I was going. Stupid Bloomberg. Pedestrians are NOT supposed to be able to sit in the middle of the street and sip their coffee.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!
    www.autographshowcase.com/disney

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

My Sis does not live in NYC, in fact lives out of state but has a condo in Time Square just for vacations and business in the diplomat condo building.

Yep, it is a tourist trap but a wonderful place for a tourist to hang their hat while there. Across the street is the Fluff and Fold, restaurants galore, endless entertainment. Love it. Guessing that is why so many foreign diplomats reside there too. It is fun.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Yep, Times Square is a tourist trap but a wonderful place for a tourist to hang their hat while there. Across the street is the Fluff and Fold, restaurants galore, endless entertainment. Love it. Guessing that is why so many foreign diplomats reside there too. It is fun.
    Trouble there is that the restaurants right on 7th and Broadway in Times Square are all your typical chain restaurants, and the tourists are too intimidated to venture onto any of the cross streets in search of a good meal. They will think nothing of walking clear across 46th Street to spend upwards of $125 for a theater ticket, but when it comes to lunch or dinner, it becomes... "OK, let's vote on where to eat. Do you want Ruby Tuesdays, Applebees, or Red Lobster?" I mean seriously, you just left all of those generic food restaurants at the local strip mall back in Ohio. Did you really fly to New York to eat at a chain? I always admire the adventurous out-of-towners who are sitting next to me at a smaller non-chain restaurant.
    Please visit my new DISNEY AUTOGRAPH website to check out my autograph collection!

Really Walt? Disneyland is MY land? Why would I want a silly little land when I can have the WORLD.

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

I'm usually only there to attend the Vision Festival, so I end up spending the majority of my time on the lower east side. Times Square was really cool to see once, but definitely not a place I'd want to hang out.

I work four blocks below Times Square (on 38th and 7th) and I avoid going uptown at all costs, especially on lunch. The only time I'll venture in is to drop off envelopes at stage doors for autographs. And even then, I'll walk over to 8th Ave and cut up that way. Walking on 7th is a death wish until you're below 42nd.

Dizisit is offline Magic-creating Disney Store CM, and Imagineer at heart...!!!

Has anyone else noticed that this thread has somehow morphed into the "What are the many things NYC could improve on?" thread?
    Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
    Answer: Does it have to be a light bulb?

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

Quote Originally Posted by supernova View Post
    Thank you for being a cynical voice of reason with me.

Though if you've lived here you entire life like you say you have, then you also remember what Times Square USED to be like. Back in the days of the "old" 42nd Street. At least Giuliani pushed those shops over to 8th Avenue. Still, I do miss driving my car through Times Square to get where I was going. Stupid Bloomberg. Pedestrians are NOT supposed to be able to sit in the middle of the street and sip their coffee.

Us NYers aren't exactly known to be cheerful people, are we?

I am only 24, but I do remember when you were actually able to walk in Times Square without tripping over all the foreigners who think they are in Disney World and not in a real, living, breathing city that people are trying to work and live in. I live on Long Island about an hour drive from the city, and I love to go in for Christmas and see the tree and all, but lately we find ourselves struggling to find places to go to dinner that aren't tourist traps.

Oh, and to show you what a joke tourists make our city out to be - my boyfriend is NYPD, and when he gets detail in Times Square he ends up having to pose for pictures with countless tourists who seem to think that all these uniformed officers are like mascots. They take the pictures so they don't look rude, but it could actually get them in a lot of trouble. Its all well and good that you are on vacation, but really?!
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234