Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss 40th Anniversary - how was it for you? in the Vacation Planning forums; We had an amazing day yesterday, meeting Lou & Beci was a definite highlight! It seemed like Park management had decided to accede to public demand and put a celebration ...
    Stitchgirl1 is offline B-Ticket Holder

40th Anniversary - how was it for you?

We had an amazing day yesterday, meeting Lou & Beci was a definite highlight!

It seemed like Park management had decided to accede to public demand and put a celebration together. I enjoyed the parade and speeches but was disappointed they immediately removed the 40th Anniversary banner from the Castle as I was hoping to get some good photos once the crowds dispersed.

Also I think the merchandising could have been better, there wasn't much if you didn't want to line up from stupid o'clock for the limited edition items. We arrived in time for Rope Drop but the Tee shirts had all sold out in the Emporium by the time we got in (about 9am).

Overall a very good day, just hoping they pt more planning and effort into the fiftieth....

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: 40th Anniversary - how was it for you?

Hearing there was a whole lot of stupid going on. People arriving at 430 am in the morning to get a commemorative pin. Angry that the Monorail wasn't running? Seriously people? Who would arrive that early for a pin?

Guests Friday arriving for Food and Wine and the 40th, really angry that the Halloween Party was already sold out the day of.

Mounds and mounds of people for last parades and fireworks.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Watched it on line. Followed Lou all weekend. Had a friend who went down this weekend. He brought me back a 40yr pin and park map.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

pinkemma666 is offline D-Ticket Holder

AMAZING !!!!

In the box supporting Lou and the team, watching the celebrations on Saturday, no crowds or queues in the box
    We may all grow old, but never grow up xx

Visit my blog at - www.daydreamingdisney.com

Facebook page - www.facebook.com/daydreamingdisney

Follow me on Twitter - @daydreamingdis

zwandel is offline B-Ticket Holder

We had a blast we video taped the whole thing we were right by the partners statue
    ZACH

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

Quote Originally Posted by pinkemma666 View Post
    AMAZING !!!!

In the box supporting Lou and the team, watching the celebrations on Saturday, no crowds or queues in the box

we didn't have to pay for park admission either!!!!!

it was fun!!!!
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

EyesOnly182 is offline A-Ticket holder

I was only able to watch half of it from the box. Some of the highlights for me were. The TTA, Noah interview, the drive from MK to the Boardwalk, and Beckerman doing the worm/running man.

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

We had an amazing time at WDW during the 40th Anniversary weekend.

On October 1st, we did the 5K race in the morning at DAK. Then, headed back to our room at the Beach Club Villas to freshen up and then headed to the Magic Kingdom to celebrate her 40th Anniversary.

We walked through the turnstiles around 9:45 am with NO line. We were greeted by CMs handing out 40th Anniversary pins. My husband and I each got one. Going under the tunnel to enter the park, I grabbed a couple of the commemorative park maps. They are really cool. I'm glad I grabbed them on the way in because when we headed out later, they were all gone.

I like collecting cool Disney Parks pins. However, there was no way I could be in two places at once (at the race and getting a wristband to get special Anniversary merchandise). So, the free park map and pin were going to have to be sufficient. (or so I thought) I know I was there without having a pin saying it!

We were supposed to meet a group of friends around 11 am. So, we had time to experience the park before meeting up. We rode BTMRR, Splash Mountain, POTC and then went to get FPs for Space Mountain (for later). By then, it was time to meet up with our friends. Our group (40+) decided to ride HM together. The new queue is entertaining and I love the new ghost features at the end. The park "seemed" crazy busy. But, it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. We navigated it just fine and rode more attractions than I had expected. We all decided to have a quick lunch at the Columbia Harbor House. Again, it looked busy entering, but the line moved quickly. The bigger challenge was finding enough tables and chair. They have yummy clam chowder!

After lunch, Bill and I decided to part ways with the group. We would see them all later at the Wishes Dessert Party. We went to use our Space Mountain Fastpasses. We still had fifteen minutes until they were valid. So, we went into the CoP right before the doors closed. By the time we came out, it was time to ride SM. After riding SM with NO wait, we decided to hop on the TTA for some feet relaxation. After the TTA, we decided to chance it on whether the park would reach capacity and headed back to our resort. We planned to come back to the MK later that evening for Wishes and the Dessert Party we had booked.

I am so glad we went back and relaxed a bit. We had been up since 4 am and still had the Dessert Party to attend and then after that we were heading to Epcot to cheer on some friends running in the 1/2 Marathon and we had tickets to attend the race after party at Epcot. A little nap was needed!

After our nap, we headed back to the MK around 7 PM. By this time, the park WAS chaotic. We still had some time before meeting our friends. The only attraction we found with no wait was the TTA. So, we hopped on it for two rides and then went to meet our friends at the Tomorrowland Terrace. We have never done the Wishes Dessert Party. If we were ever going to do it, this was the night to do it. The Castle Hub was jam-packed with guests and we were comfortably seated at a table with an amazing view. On a "normal" night, I may not have thought it was worth the money. But on this night, it was priceless!!! I wasn't impressed with the "special" fireworks. It was all the same Wishes except at the end, they shot off some of the all around the park fireworks like they do at the special parties (MNSSHP & MVMCP). We went to MNSSHP on Sunday (October 2nd) and the fireworks were 10xs better than the ones on Saturday.

After we let some of the crowd die down, we decided it was time to head over to Epcot. We followed the CMs directions and headed backstage behind Main Street towards the Flag Pole Hub. It is always fun getting to go behind the "Cast Members Only" doors. We quickly made our made out of the park. It was pretty easy. Then, we made the mistake of planning to take the monorail to the TTC and then to Epcot. The monorail line was insane! We patiently waited and eventually got onto the monorail after about 20 minutes.

That was our lovely day and night at the Magic Kingdom for her 40th Anniversary celebration.

That was just the beginning of our night. We didn't get back to our room until 3:30 AM. We were up almost 24 hours! Before the runners arrived at Epcot, we had the park pretty much to ourselves. Walked on every attraction and had the Food and Wine booths to ourselves. It was surreal! We even bumped into Lou at one of the booths with his laptop in his face, running around like a crazy man. That man can move! I guess we were "out of the box" if we were there in person.

Our only plans for Sunday was to meet some friends for dinner at the Plaza Restaurant and attend MNSSHP. While running around like kids at MNSSHP trick-or-treating, one of our friends casually mentiond to me that they have the extra merchandise from the 40th Anniversary in a store in Frontierland. My ears perked up as I didn't buy any the day before, the lines were insane! We walked in and they had ALL the special 40th Anniversary limited edition attractions and resorts pins and even some merchandise from the HM Room for One More party. The only pin they didn't have was the "I Was There" pin. I am now the proud owner of a limited edition complete set of attractions and resorts pins from when WDW first opened. I plan to put them in a frame with the special park map and the 40th Anniversary pin I received. It will be proudly displayed in our "Disney Room" (our home office).

We didn't want to be huddled with the masses to hear the speeches or purchase a special 40th Anniversary cupcake. To be honest, we just liked being in the park for the 40th. All in all, Disney could have done nothing and we still would've had an amazing time. We had fun with great friends and created some amazing new memories. We're already planning to be there for the 50th!
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

TXTaylors5 is offline Fastpass Holder

Quote Originally Posted by HauntedGabe View Post
    Hearing there was a whole lot of stupid going on. People arriving at 430 am in the morning to get a commemorative pin. Angry that the Monorail wasn't running? Seriously people? Who would arrive that early for a pin?

Guests Friday arriving for Food and Wine and the 40th, really angry that the Halloween Party was already sold out the day of.

Mounds and mounds of people for last parades and fireworks.
    We didn't encounter too many angry people. Most people were pretty civil. I felt bad for the people that didn't know about all the weekend events and festivities (MK 40th, F&W, Race Events, MNSSHP, etc ...) and just happened to be there during this crazy weekend. For a novice, it could have been a little overwhelming.

We arrived on Thursday and got a surprise preview of the Food and Wine booths. They were ALL open. That was a nice way to start our trip!
    Jennifer Bill (DisneyTaylors) Will (12) Emily (10) Cole (7)
    2004: CBR; 2006: BC ~ DCL(Wonder); 2007: BCV,YC,BC,SSR,ASMU ~ MVMCP ~ DCL(Magic); 2008: VWL,BCV,SSR,BC,POR,FW(cabin) ~ DCG, PPP,MNSSHP & MVMCP ~ DCL(Wonder); 2009: DLH(DLR), POR, SSR, BWV, POFQ; 2010: BWV (2xs), AKV (2xs) ~ ABD CA ~ GC (DLR) ~ DCL(Wonder); 2011: BCV, AKV (2xs) ~ MNSSHP ~ MVMCP ~ F&W ~ DCL(Dream); 2012: BWV, AKV, BLT ~ F&W ~ MNSSHP ~ DCL(Fantasy);
    Upcoming Disney Trips:
    2013:04/AKV, 05/AKV ~ Flower and Garden Festival & Expedition Everest Challenge, 12/VGC (DLR)
    2014: 06/DCL ~ Alaska (Wonder), 10/DCL ~ Southern Caribbean (Magic)

"Sparkly"

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

My son was a little more jaded in his summary of the 40th. He did the 25th for the MK and the Millennium at Epcot New Years Eve, so he saw what Disney is capable of doing and crowds of eager fans.

The 40th to him was the very least they could do and still say they did something. Crowds in afternoon and evening just nutty and for what, a slight variation of the fireworks. He did get a nice map, pin and button (pin). Beyond that he was rather surprised at how excited guests were for the little bit that was offered. He gave kudos to Disney, they made a bundle selling everything from pins, shirts, lines to meet folks and purchase their wears along with lines for a very simple anniversary cupcake. Marketing at its best....pack the guests in and have very minimal capital outlay. Brilliant.

He now treasures his attendance at the 25th Birthday and the New Millennium at Epcot, Disney put a great deal into these celebrations.
    Last edited by HauntedGabe; 11-06-2011 at 02:58 PM.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.