Your Walt Disney World Information Station
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
WDW Theme Parks Discuss Disney without Kids in the Vacation Planning forums; My entire family got back from a week long Disney vacation about 6 weeks ago. My husband and I were thinking about taking a small trip for our 10th Anniversary. ...
    Trueloveskiss is offline A-Ticket holder

Question Disney without Kids

My entire family got back from a week long Disney vacation about 6 weeks ago.
    My husband and I were thinking about taking a small trip for our 10th Anniversary. It's the first time we've done a couples only vacation in the past 8 years. I've always wanted to do the parks without my kids. Ride the things they are too scared to get on. Eat at restaurants that are more for adults. We'd leave Monday, be back by Friday. My mom is willing to watch the kids. I have a Disney package on hold with my travel agent.

Why do I feel so guilty??

Part of me feels bad that I won't be bringing the kids. I do think they will be upset that we are going to Disney without them. (though I guess we could be vague about where we are going)
    Part of me feels that I do Disney once a year as it is. (we will be on the Dream the same time the WDW Radio crew sails in November). Maybe I should do a more adult oriented vacation somewhere else. One that the kids would never want to do so I don't feel bad about not bringing them along.

Anybody out there leave the kids at home and do Disney with just the two of you? I can't believe how torn I am about doing this trip.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Re: Disney without Kids

My DH and I did a trip without the kids too at the 15 year mark. We too felt a tad guilty and the kids were a bit jealous, but oh well. They had gone earlier in the fall and we went in November for 5 days.

Though you would likely enjoy the elsewhere vacation you likely won't feel as good about it 'cause it isn't where you want to go. My DH and I had the time of our life for the 5 nights. It was the only time we were able to really do Pleasure Island. We had so much fun doing the World Showcase a different way. It is a trip always to be remembered.

I say go. Tell them this is a trip for Adult only attractions that they wouldn't be able to participate in and have the time of your life.

And Yay for Grandma's. My Mom had our kids!
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

AllieBee is offline D-Ticket Holder

I would go with no regrets at all. Your kids have done Disney and probably will go more than most kids will ever get to go. My DH and I went for our honeymoon 8 years ago and it was an incredible trip. Yes, we had no kids leave at home, so there wasn't the issue of feeling torn, but there is a ton you can do without kids at WDW. We are thinking about going in 2 years for our 10-year anniversary, and there is no question that the children will NOT be going with us!

I say go, enjoy every minute of your time there, and know that your very lucky kids will be accompanying you all for your next WDW trip.

PS. The idea of going somewhere else just so your kids won't feel bad is silly! If WDW is your first choice, then that is absolutely where you should go. Vacations in general are too precious (and expensive!) to go to your second choice.
    October, 2003 - Wilderness Lodge
    January, 2006 - Disney Magic
    January, 2007 - Windsor Hills Resort
    October, 2007 - Bonnet Creek Resort
    January, 2008 - Disney Magic
    January, 2010 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28-February 5, 2011 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 12-January 15, 2012 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28 -January 31, 2012 - Pop Century

Read my pre-trip report!
    http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...ip-report.html

WDW Donna is offline Much too far from the Magic :(

We went for a weekend a couple of years ago and had a great time. My DH had a convention to go to so I actually had a day to myself at MK! We felt a little guilty about leaving the kids but they have been a few times and will go many more times. Go and enjoy your time together.

EpcoT International Program June 21-January 21 1991
    Resorts we have tried;
    Yacht and Beach Club (our wedding)-1994
    All Star Movies -2004
    All Star Sports - 2006
    All Star Music Resort - 2008
    Coronado Springs -2009

2tinners is offline Mike Wazowski

My husband and I went for our 25th without the kids, of course the first few days every time I heard mom i looked but were did what we wanted when we wanted. you will have a great time.
    Love Disney. I hope to go next spring with the whole family.

MissMEY is offline C-Ticket Holder

Last year we took the kids, for three weeks and we had an amazing time... however this year we went without them for just two weeks.
    We had an amazing time as we were able to up the pace where required as well as slow things down and linger over the details plus take the opportunity to do an array of backstage tours. We enjoyed it so much we are going solo again next year.
    Did and do I feel guilty - sure but the kids all got presents and to have an amazing fortnight with their grandparents too.

Staying at Old Key West & cruising on the Disney Fantasy

HOST AT THE MINNIE MINXES DISNEY PODCAST
    An all-female Disney podcast from the UK

www.facebook.com/theminnieminxesdisneypodcast
    Our Blog http://theminnieminxes.blogspot.co.uk Our Twitter@theminnieminxes

eighthave is offline A-Ticket holder

It's analogous to putting on your oxygen mask first. You can't help the kids if you are unconscious. You have to take care of your marriage to continue to be good parents together, so if this is how you do it, go for it! The parent pang is natural, but you'll get over it ;-). Enjoy!

Dave

pinkemma666 is offline D-Ticket Holder

I don't have children so I admit that I don't get the 'guilty about leaving kids at home' bit but all i can say is that I LOVE my adults only WDW trips. We have plenty of early mornings which I know would be tricky with children and we love the behind the scenes tours which are full of detail sometimes not suitable for the little ones. We don't have to worry about suitable menus for tots and don't have to keep little ones entertained in queues or crowds. I think you'll have a brilliant time
    We may all grow old, but never grow up xx

Visit my blog at - www.daydreamingdisney.com

Facebook page - www.facebook.com/daydreamingdisney

Follow me on Twitter - @daydreamingdis

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

Go and enjoy it, then make plans for another trip with kids.

Trueloveskiss is offline A-Ticket holder

Thanks for the input! We've decided to go for it and book the trip. I am excited! I am sure I will still have some pants of guilt but oh well!

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

That's what we're here for. Yes, we had those pangs of guilt but we got over them quickly, mostly as soon as we got on the plane.

We brought back gifts (and don't forget Grandma) and we were forgiven.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

Veritas is offline Real Men Dig the Mouse

Get on the plane, don't look back. Enjoy WDW with leisurely park visits, some fine dining, maybe even a fireworks cruise ( I recommend the Illuminations one).
    Veri S&B LLC WHAFTFCOL

SITTM, No Retreat, No Surrender!

Our Highly Trained Experts Are Always Prepared To "Assist" You.

Phinedroid is offline A-Ticket holder

I've actually gone through this, on the other side. My parents went on a WDW vacation, leaving my brother and I with my grandparents when I was 10 or 11 years old. Mind you, we had gone as a family a couple of times before that.

I have never forgiven them. Honestly, it still rankles me. They could've gone ANYWHERE else, and I would've been cool with it. But, WDW...that was just mean. They even had the audacity to bring me back one of the infamous "My parents went to Walt Disney World, and all I got was this T-Shirt" shirts.

Alright, alright...I got over it the next year when we went as a family again. My advice is lie to your kids. Tell them you're going to Hawaii or Pittsburgh or Cucamonga...whatever...but this is one of those rare cases where a little white lie could save a lot of hurt feelings.

3IAlienKid is offline C-Ticket Holder

Congratulations on 10 years!

My wife and I also just celebrated our 10th last September and went to the new Aulani in October sans kids. Yes, we missed them and they missed us. Yes, there were times I thought "oh they would have loved this thing here or that there." We talked to them every night before they went to bed. But what a great time my wife and I had celebrating on our own and doing things we could never have done with them there. It was completely worth it. And we figure we will take them there eventually.

Good for you for booking it and have a great time!
    Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

grumpy of ohio is offline C-Ticket Holder

No way, no how.... It's what we had children for, to enjoy everything as a family, especially WDW.....I must say, we're empty nesters now...and still go to WDW....few trips by oursleves and sometimes we hitch up with our daughter and family.....seeing we've been there and done that....your children are only with you for a short 18 years at best...off to college and never to return...you must enjoy that time with them..no way would we go to WDW and leave them...why? Aren't they part of the family....I could see if they were grown children but still, we enjoy having our children on vacation with us...even as adults.....you'll have plenty of time after they are grown and gone to do ehatever you feel like without any remorse or misgivings.......sorry, but it's not in our cards to leave children home and vacation without them..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast