Your Walt Disney World Information Station
WDW Theme Parks Discuss If you have or ever had a 6 year old, Haunted Mansion question. in the Vacation Planning forums; Lou's comment during his and Tim's Top 10 Spookiest Places got me thinking. I am taking my 6.5 year old to the MK in January. She's never agreed to go ...
    AllieBee is offline D-Ticket Holder

If you have or ever had a 6 year old, Haunted Mansion question.

Lou's comment during his and Tim's Top 10 Spookiest Places got me thinking. I am taking my 6.5 year old to the MK in January. She's never agreed to go on the Haunted Mansion before, so I'm wondering if I should push the issue or not. I probably won't, please, no "bad mother" comments. But I was just curious, if you have traveled to the World with your 6 year old child before, did he or she agree to go on the HM? If yes, did he/she like it or freak out?

Not sure how to do a poll, was going to post one so if anyone can help, thanks!
    October, 2003 - Wilderness Lodge
    January, 2006 - Disney Magic
    January, 2007 - Windsor Hills Resort
    October, 2007 - Bonnet Creek Resort
    January, 2008 - Disney Magic
    January, 2010 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28-February 5, 2011 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 12-January 15, 2012 - Windsor Hills Resort
    January 28 -January 31, 2012 - Pop Century

Read my pre-trip report!
    http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...ip-report.html

Disney05 is offline Premium Annual Passholder

Re: If you have or ever had a 6 year old, Haunted Mansion question.

We took our daughter on HM for the first time when she was 5, that was 6 years ago. She was terrified. The next year we talked her into going. She sat with me and I joked about the sites all through out the ride. I made fun of the ghosts, laughed at the silliness of things. I held her tight the whole ride. When we got off, she wanted to ride it again. It is now her favorite ride.
    When you wish upon a star.....
    LAUGHTER IS TIMELESS, IMAGINATION HAS NO AGE AND DREAMS ARE FOREVER.
    Adults are only kids grown up, anyway. WD
    ...That's the real trouble with the world. Too many people grow up. WD
    "For those who get it, no explanation is necessary. For those who don't, no explanation will do."

http://wdwhomesick.wordpress.com/

DopeyDancer87 is offline Disney Obsessed Since 1988 :-)

I have been going on that ride every year since my first trip when I was 18 months old - and I hate horror movies! This ride isn't scary if you point out to her all the little quirky things in it (if she gets nervous) - the hidden Mickeys, counting the ghosts to see if there really are 999, etc.
    "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"Adults are just grown up kids, anyway." -Walt Disney

(((Por favor mantangense alejado de las puertas )))

*My Visits*
    1988 - Polynesian Resort*1991- Port Orleans*1992- Port Orleans*1994- Wilderness Lodge*1995- Caribbean Beach*1997- Boardwalk*1998- Old Key West*1999- All- Star Movies*2000- Wilderness Lodge*2000- Caribbean Beach*2001- Wilderness Lodge*2001- Port Orleans Riverside*2001- Coronado Springs*2002 - Boardwalk*2003 - Contemporary*2003 - Caribbean Beach*2003 - All Star Sports & Music*2004- Grand Californian (DL)*2004 - Boardwalk*2005 - Boardwalk*2006 - Wilderness Lodge*2007- Boardwalk*2007 - Wilderness Lodge*2008 - Saratoga Springs*2009 - Off Site*2011 - Bay Lake Tower/Boardwalk Villas*February, 2012 - POFQ

flutter is offline Moderator

took my daughter when she was 6 she liked it

Mo Noyz is offline Unfortunately, this user's actions have resulted in him/her being BANNED from the site

Yeah, my son was 6 on his very first trip. He absolutely loved it.

wallfan329 is offline Working on becoming a Disney CPer

I was six when I first went on it. I had my eyes closed through the whole thing mostly because my brother told me it was the scariest thing in Disney and I believed him. Looking back at it I feel really stupid for doing that. I think she will love it...
    Mckayla
    My Disney College Program blog...everything from KSU life to getting ready for Spring 2015
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
    2001(PO),2003(BC and DCL Magic),2004(ASM),2005(Poly and DCL Magic),2006(HH & OKW),2007(SSR),2009(WL),2010(BW,Pop and Vero),2011(OKW),2012(AKL & OKW),2012(Pop, Reunion),2013(Band Trip/Birthday Trip...AoA/Off Property),2014(OKW,Pop and DCL Dream)
    ♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫

sx2143 is offline B-Ticket Holder

I think you have to judge by your own child. We went when my oldest daughter was 5. We kind of pushed for her to get on and she was scared. She never liked scary things. On the other hand, my youngest was 4 when we went on with her and she loved it. If you think your child is the type who will like it once she gets on, I might push a little, but don't force the issue.

HauntedGabe is offline Where'd she go???

Quote Originally Posted by Disney05 View Post
    We took our daughter on HM for the first time when she was 5, that was 6 years ago. She was terrified. The next year we talked her into going. She sat with me and I joked about the sites all through out the ride. I made fun of the ghosts, laughed at the silliness of things. I held her tight the whole ride. When we got off, she wanted to ride it again. It is now her favorite ride.
    That is sweet. Good memories.

Quote Originally Posted by DopeyDancer87 View Post
    I have been going on that ride every year since my first trip when I was 18 months old - and I hate horror movies! This ride isn't scary if you point out to her all the little quirky things in it (if she gets nervous) - the hidden Mickeys, counting the ghosts to see if there really are 999, etc.
    See this is why I support taking kids when they are little. Mine were 2months and 14 months and annually after that. They always road it so it wasn't ever a problem. I remember telling my 14 month old if he didn't like a particular Ghost just to say Boo and they would be gone, by then the ride moves on.

On Pirates at the same age, before we got in line I bought him a wooden pirate gun and told him if he didn't like any of the pirates just shoot'em.
    He did.

I believe we have to push our kids to do somethings to get them over the hurdle. If I didn't, neither would know how to ride a bike.
    Some people are like Slinkies.

They aren't really good for anything,
    but they still bring a smile to my face when I push them down a flight of stairs.

Friends are Gods way of apologizing to us for our families.

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

my kids, all 3, have enjoyed HM and POTC since they were 2 or younger.

eeyore79 is offline Missing "HOME"

i took my 5 year old on HM on our last trip and she was a little nervous about it but she ended up liking most of it especially the ghosts at the end! then again, i think if i would of taken her when it wasnt dark outside and late already she would of enjoyed it more!!
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes..."

http://mydreamingcorner.blogspot.com/

Me (Jamie) - 34 DD (Kayla) - 7

TRIP REPORT AUGUST 2011 http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/showt...l=1#post972048

eighthave is offline A-Ticket holder

You know your daughter a lot better than anyone, so this may or may not be good advice. When I was last there, my son was 5 and not interested in anything scary. We went during the daytime and didn't make a big production of what ride we were waiting for while we were there. Once he caught on to what we were doing we just told him that the ghosts inside were just silly ghosts, not scary ones and we pointed out the guy in his underpants in the stretching room and he giggled. There were a couple of parts where he was nervous, but he didn't freak out. He has good memories of it now. I think it's just about keeping it low pressure, not no pressure. We're in a similar situation when we take my 5 yr old daughter next month.

Of course, on my first visit when I was 8 (now 41), I wanted nothing to do with HM, we had driven down from upstate New York and I think my mom must have been in the mindset of "I drove all this way, I'm not going to miss this just because he doesn't want to do it!" So she told me to wait outside til they got back. I'm not exactly sure how long it was, but it had to be an hour at least. Can you imagine leaving your 8 year old alone in DW for that long, now? Not that I think s/he would be abducted, but lost. I was a good boy and stayed where I was left, but man, it seemed like forever and a day they were gone.

Dave

N.J.boy@N.C.St. is offline Fastpass Holder

My family took my sister, who is autistic, on HM for the first time when she was 5. Though with her disability, she was unphased. She is very much the opposite of most autistic children...most are sedentary, while anything that's higher, faster, darker and colder are what make her the most excited. Honestly, in perspective, I don't think HM is all that scary. Of course, with a 6 year old daughter, if she's really against going on when you bring up the issue then I would advise against it (but, of course try to urge her on). If you're really adamant...try a bribe! That's what got me to go on HM for the first time way back when.
    Follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/NJboyatNCstate

June 1997, July 2002, August 2005, August 2006, February 2008, July 2008, August 2008, June 2009, July 2010, November 2010, July 2011

2011 Trip Report:
    Part 1: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...nto-parks.html
    Part 2: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...7-23-11-a.html
    Part 3: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...24-7-26-a.html
    Part 4: http://www.wdwradio.com/forums/trip-...e-already.html

NC_WDW_Daddy is offline Annual Passholder

I think my kids were more scared by the Evil Queen in Snow White than anything in the HM.

MJMcb is offline Fastpass Holder

my son liked it as a toddler then around 4 years of age got scared. He didnt go on it again until about 7 or so. It has the capacity to spook that agre group

I would go in and if they can handle to the round room intro you should be ok. Thats the worst part of the ride at least for my son. My daughter is currently 7 and has never had an issue
    WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom